1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Kenwood DDX9906XR wireless CarPlay no connect

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Kevinapex, May 19, 2019.

1. May 19, 2019 at 1:35 PM
    Kevinapex

Kevinapex [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Evergreen colorado
    Vehicle:
    2011 supercharged limited tundra
    C41821B4-D9A1-4AD6-A87B-78DAA2F282BC.jpg Just got a new Kenwood DDX9906XR, one of the high points of this deck is it’s so called ability to wireless CarPlay. The system was professional installed by a trusted company here in Colorado.
    Here’s what’s up, the wire hook of CarPlay works as it should, however wireless CarPlay will not connect.
    When attempting to connect the deck displays, speed sensor must be connected for wireless CarPlay to function. This speed sensor wire is absolutely connected to the deck input.
    We have called Kenwood, the newest updates are installed, at this point I guess I waiting on a Kenwood update to correct this issue.
    It’s not that bid of a deal but it most definitely should connect wireless CarPlay.
    The speed sensor connection to the deck is new for some decks, this was common years ago, guess it’s needed again.
    Any one else fighting this?
    This is also running through Mistro for obdll monitoring.

2. May 20, 2019 at 9:54 AM
    tundraal

tundraal New Member

Member:
    I have a Kenwood receiver too. I always use the USB for CarPlay because the audio quality over wireless is not that good. Not real sure what could cause your issue... If you are using Maestro, the speed sensor should be through the data link. My Kenwood didn't have a speed sensor connection with the main harness. Make sure the bluetooth on your phone is turned on and it is paired with the head unit. That is how mine works.

3. May 20, 2019 at 4:37 PM
    GregTacoma

GregTacoma New Member

Member:
    I'm running into the same problem in my '08 Tacoma with Kenwood DDX9906XR and PAC RP4.2-TY11 wiring interface. Connecting Carplay via USB works fine, but wireless does not. And confirmed that the speed sensor is connected. Also updated to the latest firmware on the head unit, but still no luck.

And completely with you... the main point of this unit (vs other Kenwood units that support Carplay) is to eliminate the need to use wires, so unfortunate that's not working yet.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  4. May 20, 2019 at 4:58 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    so much for the wireless Carplay...you would think they would have it right by now.
    I just use the usb carplay. Sounds quality is good.

is your iphone all up to date ? latest iOS ?

5. May 20, 2019 at 6:19 PM
    Kevinapex

Kevinapex [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Evergreen colorado
    Vehicle:
    2011 supercharged limited tundra
    I hear ya man, I’ll keep getting in touch with Kenwood.

6. May 21, 2019 at 6:44 AM
    radon222

radon222 '21 CrewMax / '18 4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2021 CrewMax TRD OffRoad
    Stock for now
    tagging in for updates. I intended to go with last years DDX9905s, but timing wasn't right. Just curious has anyone tried and experienced the same VSS error with wireless Android Auto?

7. May 21, 2019 at 11:34 AM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I'm just using wired carplay. I need to keep my phone charging anyways since Waze sucks so much battery

8. May 25, 2019 at 6:01 PM
    GregTacoma

GregTacoma New Member

Member:
    I came across this in my research as well...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FMimfxShJY

Not sure I want to spend another $99 to get a GPS to VSS converter since it seems like the standard Toyota wiring should work, but might be worth it if this actually solves the problem.

9. Jun 2, 2019 at 11:01 PM
    GregTacoma

GregTacoma New Member

Member:
    I finally had a chance to spend a bit more time on the install and was able to tap directly into the VSS wire on my '08 Tacoma, bypassing the PAC wiring harness for that wire. Once I did, the Kenwood error went away and everything worked as expected... full wireless Carplay with no errors. (I also installed a Scosche TAQ02 MagicMount Qi wireless charger, so wireless power as well.)

On the Tacoma, the VSS wire is behind the right side of the glove box, on the second white connector from the bottom. It's a purple wire with white stripe. Quick tap connector to the speed sensor wire on the Kenwood head unit and everything appears to be working. Pics below. (ref: https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/...05-2015/138609-nav-install-vss-wire-help.html)

Watt maker likes this.
  10. Jun 20, 2019 at 7:44 AM
    drkutscher

drkutscher New Member

Member:
    I am having the same issues. I have tried all the suggested options, reset the phone, updated the units software/firmware, deleted the connection and reconnected but still get the speed sensor error warning.

I have found that if I connect via USB it works fine and if I then unplug from the USB it continues to work but now via wireless with no speed sensor error message. Hmmm??

11. Jun 21, 2019 at 11:14 AM
    Luckydwg

Luckydwg New Member

Member:
    San Diego CA
    Vehicle:
    2024 MGM Limmited Crewmax Nightshade
    I am getting one installed right now on my 2017 Limited Tundra/ with the Maestro RR will report back.

12. Jun 21, 2019 at 11:23 AM
    diableri

diableri New Member

Member:
    Central CA
    Vehicle:
    16' 1794
    I've been dragging my feet on my head unit choice because what I want doesn't really exist yet (something like the Halo with wireless Android) and this is the likely choice due to wireless support.

Anyone have any experience with wireless Android and this or the nav version of this gen Kenwood by chance? I can't iOS due to work so it's pixels for me.

Edit: Or anyone have a link (besides Kenwood) of a review or video of the AA interface in action? Any lag and connectivity are what I really care about.

13. Jun 21, 2019 at 11:27 AM
    Luckydwg

Luckydwg New Member

Member:
    San Diego CA
    Vehicle:
    I have a pixel 3A and will try out wireless android auto with the DDX9906XR and report that back too.

14. Jun 21, 2019 at 11:28 AM
    diableri

diableri New Member

Member:
    Central CA
    Vehicle:
    16' 1794
    Thank you!

15. Jun 21, 2019 at 12:24 PM
    drkutscher

drkutscher New Member

Member:
    Thanks, I look forward to seeing if you have the same issues with apple car play. Still seems odd to me that if I connect via usb and then unplug the wireless car play works. I expected it to just pickup wirelessly automatically...?

16. Jun 21, 2019 at 1:20 PM
    Luckydwg

Luckydwg New Member

Member:
    San Diego CA
    Vehicle:
    Update on wireless car play: Works as advertised on my 17 Limited Tundra with the maestro RR connected. I am not getting any type of warning. Works as it shoot. When speaking with the installer he said he hooked up the pink VSS wire to the pink wire on the Maestro the instructions said do not cut the white wire so he did not. He also grounded the parking brake, don’t know if this helped.

17. Jun 21, 2019 at 1:45 PM
    Luckydwg

Luckydwg New Member

Member:
    San Diego CA
    Vehicle:
    Wireless Android auto works just fine as well on my pixel 3A.

18. Jun 21, 2019 at 1:47 PM
    diableri

diableri New Member

Member:
    Central CA
    Vehicle:
    16' 1794
    Thanks so much lucky, I’m going to go ahead and talk to the shop I use next week then.

19. Jul 30, 2019 at 6:49 PM
    non-ricer

non-ricer New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Crewmax limited
    Any updates on this? Debating on installing the dnx996xr with the wireless CarPlay function. Also, does the factory rear cam work? I read that there’s sometimes issues... thanks in advance.

New_DoorDing likes this.
  20. Jul 30, 2019 at 7:09 PM
    Luckydwg

Luckydwg New Member

Member:
    San Diego CA
    Vehicle:
    Mine still works great. Loving the HD screen and wireless CarPlay. iOS 13 is even better and works great on the beta.

21. Jul 30, 2019 at 7:24 PM
    non-ricer

non-ricer New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    And you connected the pink vss wire with tag to the maestro toy02 harness pink wire or did you do something else?

22. Jul 30, 2019 at 7:33 PM
    Luckydwg

Luckydwg New Member

Member:
    San Diego CA
    Vehicle:
    I believe that is it. I had a Best Buy installer do it.

23. Jul 30, 2019 at 7:33 PM
    non-ricer

non-ricer New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Ok thanks!

24. Jul 30, 2019 at 7:45 PM
    BlueBottle

BlueBottle not a PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Platinum 4x4
    See fine print
    I just installed a dmx906s radio. Using maestro rr. I wired up the speed sensor and also attached the gps antenna. The instruction stated that speed sensor and gps antenna both need to be installed for wireless CarPlay to function. Grounding the green wire is so all functions work even at speed. Has nothing to do w CarPlay.

Both oem rear camera and my aftermarket front camera works with this head units. Any of you have a front camera? Mine automatically comes on when driving from 5-10 mph. Can’t find any settings to deactivate it.

New_DoorDing and Pudge like this.
  25. Jul 30, 2019 at 7:54 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    That is really weird. Does it stay on or can you switch to a different screen? I wish I could help, other than suggesting calling idatalink tech support, sounds like an issue with the maestro to me, but I could be way off.

26. Jul 30, 2019 at 8:04 PM
    BlueBottle

BlueBottle not a PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Platinum 4x4
    See fine print
    Do you have a front camera? I think it’s a feature for the front camera on the radio. So you can see when you are parking. If you tap the screen it goes away.

27. Jul 30, 2019 at 8:12 PM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    I wish I had one but I don't, my kenwood is older and doesnt support a second cam as far as I know. Unless I can hook it to the dvd/video source, but it think that's output only.

BlueBottle[QUOTED] likes this.
  28. Aug 11, 2019 at 8:47 PM
    New_DoorDing

New_DoorDing New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Pro DoubleCab
    I just had the DNX996XR installed and the factory camera works just as it did on my factory unit. Same old static parking guidelines. Triggered when gear goes into Reverse. This unit comes with dynamic parking guidelines which overlay on the factory static parking guidelines. The unit also lets you move each guideline to be right on top of the old guidelines. The image looks a lot better on the Dnx996xr HD screen as well. The only Con I have found on the Dnx996xr is the boot up time. Its exactly 24 seconds. The Pros, significant difference in sound quality(i may not replace/add any speakers or sub now), Garmin Nav is quick,smooth, and traffic prediction is sourced through Kenwood Inrix app which is spot on with google maps route selections in crazy dynamic rush hours in Boston, wireless carplay No Cables! (mostly siri use) is really convenient, instant MPG gauge among many other readings, even gives me spare tire pressure and any check engine codes!
    Honestly i prefer the much smoother Garmin Nav over draining my phone using its gps along with music streaming. Also make sure to use the aftermarket gps antenna since it has access to 24 additional satellites which the Factory gps antenna does NOT have access to. (Much quicker and accurate acquisition). Last suggestion is consider purchasing the dnx996xr from only a kenwood authorized dealer or you’ll be giving up your 2 year warranty. Also there is a $200 mail and rebate on the dnx996xr which expires September 30, 2019 so I wouldnt wait too long to purchase. Hope all this helped. Feel free to ask any other questions.

I had the Kenwood CMOS 320 front view camera installed with my Kenwood unit. I’ve been wondering how to disable that 5-10mph trigger off. I dont like to brake harshly so I usually creep to a stop and this triggers my front view camera frequently. I did see something called camera interruption which lets you choose between some times. I selected the 10sec option

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  29. Aug 11, 2019 at 8:53 PM
    BlueBottle

BlueBottle not a PRO

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Platinum 4x4
    See fine print
    I reached out to KENWOOD and the said they don’t control that. So they think it’s coming from the maestro rr. I went through all the settings on the maestro and there is no option to disable that so I guess I have to live with it. If you tap on the bottom of the screen when the cam pops up it turns off the camera.

New_DoorDing[QUOTED] likes this.
  30. Aug 11, 2019 at 9:01 PM
    New_DoorDing

New_DoorDing New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Pro DoubleCab
    Thanks. Seems the tap of the lower screen is the quickest way to get rid of it. I was wondering if maybe we programmed one of the steering wheel buttons where if we hold for a few seconds would trigger on/off the front view camera. Just throwing out a thought without doing any research though

BlueBottle[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top