1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Kamado type owners, step on in, lets talk charcoal.

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by RLHULK, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Apr 26, 2020 at 11:35 AM
    RLHULK

RLHULK [OP] Too many gamma rays in all that BBQ smoke.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Oklahoma, Toyota seat trim durability tester
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silverado LT.
    Still rolling stock baby....
    I recently changed the brand of charcoal I have been using in my BGE.

I have used the BGE brand and the Royal oak I get at home depot.

The problem I was having with the RO is that the bags I have recently bought contained a lot of what I call fill, or small pieces of charcoal than the larger chunks I used to find. Some folks say its from the bags being on the bottom of the pallet, but I have picked bags from top, middle and bottom of pallet, all with the same results.
    Now those smaller pieces are fine for grilling but when it comes to long slow cooks, 12 hours or more you need those larger chunks.

With that said I recently picked up a couple bags of Kamado Joe big block XL charcoal. Its about twice as much as the RO but damn what a difference.

1st: The bags I have brought home are full of large chunks of charcoal, think fist size and larger.

2: The pieces are made from what firewood pieces would be cut. No odd what was this stuff to begin with. They remind me of wood used at a camp fire.

3: With the larger pieces the fire in my egg lit faster and the egg came up to temp faster. This has to be due to more air flow being able to flow thru the egg with the larger pieces vs the egg full of smaller pieces which would restrict air flow.

4: Easier to maintain temps in my egg, on the brisket cook I did Friday night, the temps held steady at 250, with the RO I would get a climb on temps about 5 hours in from 250 to 300-325 and the vents had to be adjusted.

5: More fuel left in the egg after a 12 hour cook, only abut 50% was used for the brisket cook Friday night.

So far I am liking the Big block charcoal more and more, might pick up a bag of rockwood or jealous devil and try those in the future. Mean while here are pics of the big block, the first one was a night when I lit the fire but you can see the size of the pieces, the 2nd pic was today when I lit the fire to grill some brats.

18.jpg 19.jpg

2. Apr 26, 2020 at 11:45 AM
    Outbound

Outbound SSEM #2.5, Token AmeriCanadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2022 CrewMax TRD Off Road, MGM of course.
    If its twice the price and you use half as much, it's a wash. :)

I'm thinking of getting a charcoal BBQ this summer or next. I'll be watching this thread with interest.

FrenchToasty, GODZILLA and RLHULK[OP] like this.
  3. Apr 26, 2020 at 11:48 AM
    RLHULK

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silverado LT.

In a way yes it is a wash, but I believe the performance is better with the Big block vs the RO. That's the key for me.

Outbound[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Apr 26, 2020 at 12:32 PM
    lbbf

lbbf New Member

Member:
    For my BGE I use B&B charcoal from our local grocery store. It's a hit or miss. I feel the bags before buying. Usually I can get a pretty good sense if the bag is full of filler or decent sized pieces by feel.

5. Apr 26, 2020 at 12:42 PM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

BravoDeltaRomeo Old Man Little Blue Finger

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tundra CM
    I got in on a Buy 2 (on sale), get 1 free last year at Lowes. It's much better than Royal Oak (my usual). The Royal Oak was 1/3 dust.

The big block works for me and I'll continue to buy it when available locally

I paid $56 Canadian, after taxes, for 3 of the big bags., 60lbs of total charcoal, so cheaper then Royal Oak in my areas.

Did you get any chunks like this yet?
    IMG_20200409_142728.jpg

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    RLHULK[OP] likes this.
  6. Apr 26, 2020 at 2:19 PM
    RLHULK

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Vehicle:
    2022 Silverado LT.
    Yes I did LOL. I thought damn I have hit the mother load...

7. Apr 26, 2020 at 2:34 PM
    OV-1794

OV-1794 New Member

Member:
    Costco has the kamado Joe big block right now 4 bags for $80 which includes shipping I believe.

BravoDeltaRomeo and RLHULK[OP] like this.
  8. Apr 26, 2020 at 2:52 PM
    tech1208

tech1208 Old Salt, New truck

Member:
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Platinum 4X4 Blueprint Blue
    The FOGO rep dropped a dozen bags of the Super Premium and the Premium at my store a few months ago. The chunks were large and medium, minimal dust. The only drawback for me is the quality control of a cooking product produced and bagged in El Salvador. I've been there and the country is run by two factions. The Government and Gangs. Sometimes hard to tell the two apart until the recent government. The charcoal cooked very well and last super long (days). Just not sure how the stuff is being treated during the manufacture process.

I primarily cook with BGE Lump Charcoal (I stock it by the pallet), and occasionally use a Jack Daniels Lump Charcoal bricks.

9. Apr 26, 2020 at 2:58 PM
    Squeaky

Squeaky New Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    ‘19 White TRD Pro
    That’s a good price. I like the Kamado joe stuff, spendy but worth it. Royal Oak is hit or miss, like has been said, I think it depends on how it’s cared for before delivery. I recently tried a bag of Cowboy lump and was pleasantly surprised, filled with large chunks.

Products Discussed in

To Top