1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Jbl radio change

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Jdmdbseven, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Jul 12, 2018 at 3:49 PM
    Jdmdbseven

Jdmdbseven [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle:
    1st gen tundra
    i have had my truck for 2 weeks now the radio volume and cd do not work. Its a jbl one. I went today to best buy to get a radio and a harness and guy said the jbl ones have to have a $150 harness because its a jbl truck. Is this true or was he bs me

2. Jul 12, 2018 at 6:41 PM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    Thinking Best Buy not going to be the most affordable. Call a local stereo shop and ask them, bet it is lower price. Others have mentioned Crutchfield, their tech support should be able to help as well.

You may want to consider bypassing the JBL amp, get a head unit with 50W per channel or more. It may cost a bit more but worth it.

Good Luck.

Jdmdbseven[OP] likes this.
  3. Jul 12, 2018 at 7:14 PM
    trdprobped17

trdprobped17 New Member

Member:
    They are partially correct. You’re going to have to ge a wire harness regardless of whatever head unit outside of your stock replacement. The harnesses vary in price, though. $150 for a harness is quite expensive to me. I have gotten mine replaced last year and the harness was under $40 from Amazon. Ironically, Best Buy installed the stereo upgrade, but, I provided all the parts myself.

Best Buy gave me an estimated cost for parts and labor, to include the parts list that I needed. So, I went online and bought them all on Amazon. It saved me more than 50% of the total cost that Best Buy quoted me. I ended up going to Best Buy to do the installation, but, it was because I could not find a better installer closer to my home and work at the time. Best Buy doesn’t really have very good installers on their staff. It took three try’s for them to finally get it right. I have since found a better car audio guy and he takes care of all my car electronics now.

Btw, you’re also going to have to change out your JBL amplifier, if you want to go to an aftermarket setup.

4. Jul 12, 2018 at 8:21 PM
    Jerry311SD

Jerry311SD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Ramona San Diego CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra

I was able to find a used stock stereo on (offer up)
    For 40$
    It was a cheaper option then going aftermarket.

IMG_20180712_195728.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top