1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

JBL...audio source question

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Pudge, May 30, 2018.

1. May 30, 2018 at 8:24 AM
    Pudge

Pudge [OP] Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    I have long despised my JBL stereo in my truck but don't have the funds to do much to it, other than my recent sound deadening project which is helping somewhat believe it or not.
    Today I was playing around with the settings and the settings on my phone for when I play Pandora. I am now able to get Pandora to play and sound really good to my ear. Then when I switch back to FM or XM is terrible again. I believe it's the phone and increasing the input volume / gain from there. Does anyone know of a way to turn up the gain of the amp? I know it has the power but for some reason it's just not putting it out in anything other than Pandora. The bass and highs are much better through Pandora, in fact I can hear and SEE the subwoofer hitting hard when using Pandora but not at all with XM. I can't find a way with the headunit to increase gain, I will have the seat out in a few weeks to do some sound deadening but I doubt the amp has a dial or adjustment. Can this be accessed via TechStream?
    At some point I realize I will just have to live with it or add a LOC and amp, or just use an amp with high level inputs. Was just curious if anyone has a tip to access the controls to the stock amp, which I now believe has enough power for the stock system but it isnt beimg used properly.

topshelfproducts likes this.
  2. May 30, 2018 at 10:10 AM
    ZPMAN

ZPMAN 2nd place is the 1st looser

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Platinum Supercharged
    4" lift, 35s, Magnuson Supercharger
    Pudge i went through the very exact thing thing with Pandora and also thought the speakers were crap. After installing the Phoenix head unit it was the same till i found the Cur Vol switch that bumps up the volume from the head unit, now the system surprisingly sounds like a $50,000 truck should. I personally think Toyota went to a cheaper supplier in 2013 and or had to many blown speakers recalled. You could become a very rich man if you could figure out away to bump up the output from the OEM head unit.

Pudge[OP] likes this.
  3. May 30, 2018 at 10:25 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    So to access this feature I need to get am aftermarket head unit?
    It's crazy to me that this system actually has (potentially) good power, it's is just being limited by something. The Pandora sounds amazing, oddly enough I just switched from Pandora to FM.... same song was on, and the difference was night and day, not just a little noticeable, it's huge.
    I was hoping someone with techstream or some kinda way to access the computers would be able to find their way into some preamp, input, or output settings

ZPMAN[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. May 30, 2018 at 10:31 AM
    ZPMAN

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Try putting music on your phone then plug it into the OEM HU and as i rember the sound was bettor. Make sure you phone volume is up all the way.

5. May 30, 2018 at 10:32 AM
    ZPMAN

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    I still can't believe the great sound from the stock JBL speakers.

6. May 30, 2018 at 10:40 AM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Yeah as long as I play the music through my phone it sounds good, I guess maybe I'll just up my data plan lol

7. May 30, 2018 at 10:49 AM
    ZPMAN

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Try a Phionix out, i believe you have 30 days, it was all plug and play. They do have a newer one out now too.

Pudge[OP] likes this.
  8. May 30, 2018 at 5:13 PM
    Pudge

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    I unplugged the center channel speaker today. I like how it sounds without it for now was an easy thing to do to change the sound a little

9. May 30, 2018 at 7:00 PM
    Toyotoholic

Toyotoholic -4Life-

Member:
    First Name:
    Jmz
    Vehicle:
    17' MGM
    Pro suspension, sways

I have had to finally gut the entire factory JBL system. It has a mind of its own and therefore, it ultimately sucks. Before the gut, I did notice that if you turn off the auto levelizer bullshit in audio settings, then turn the fader all the way front. This will bring the sub in phase with the front and your bass will be tighter. It is a subtle improvement, but still an improvement... Also sound deadening always helps any system via environment control.

Pudge[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  10. May 30, 2018 at 7:13 PM
    Azblue

Azblue Beer is Good Ban Moderator

Member:
    The Dirty T
    I have the non-JBL with nav, but I'm sure it reacts similar to the JBL. The stock H.U. is quite sensitive to the input source and you will always get better sound from any of the apps or connections from your phone (Bluetooth, Aux.). Even after I replaced amp, speakers, and added a sub, it still is, just to a lesser extent.

Also, I'm sure that you already know, but just in case-- Each input has it's own equalizer settings that do not carry over from each other, you must set each separately, and it does make a big difference.

Pudge[OP] likes this.
  11. May 30, 2018 at 7:47 PM
    ZPMAN

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    The only thing holding me back from tearing into the OEM HU is that i would need a replacement if i total the truck out or the Phoenix shits the bed and not to mention all stuff the wife and 2 boys give me to do.

12. May 30, 2018 at 7:52 PM
    ZPMAN

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Someone needs to jail brake the oem HU.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    topshelfproducts and Pudge[OP] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top