1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Issues with smog pump

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Cope223, Oct 19, 2018.

?

Take it to Toyota?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Swap Smog Pump

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Oct 19, 2018 at 11:02 PM
    Cope223

Cope223 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brice
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tundra TFORCE
    True Dual Magnaflow, Grill Guard, Camper Shell
    (I apologize if this isn't the correct forum for this)

So I don't know the exact code, but I went to AutoZone and their machine said my Smog Pump was bad. The text said replace secondary air filter, something else I can't remember, and reprogram powertrain. This was 2 days ago. I left earlier to grab some tickets for the Mega Millions (I know, wishful thinking), and she would barely accelerate. Oil pressure was rising pretty high as the rpms did so I whipped around and went straight home. I let it sit for a bit since it's a been a little chilly and the oil pressure calmed down at idle, but again, when I would accelerate, oil pressure would rise higher than normal. I checked the oil, it appeared fine (It was dark and i was using my phone as a flashlight) so I went inside and figured I would do something about it tomorrow. I'm going to check the air valve for the secondary air system and see if it's bad, but i dont really know what to do. I dont wanna give Toyota $100 for their scan, but if AutoZones isn't accurate I guess i will if I have to. I didn't know where else to go. Anyone have any ideas? I'm hoping beyond hope this is something i can do myself.

-Cope

2. Oct 20, 2018 at 6:40 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    I wouldn’t be able to answer question but it would be helpful if you had the actual code. Sounds like your truck is in limp mode. I don’t know about the oil pressure spiking. I want to say you’re having trouble with your AIP. Luckily tundras typically don’t have any issues but that is one of them.

3. Oct 21, 2018 at 1:23 AM
    Cope223

Cope223 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brice
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    So now that it's in limp mode I'm screwed huh? Is there any way I can fix this and not have to spend $2k at the dealership on something that, from what I'm seeing, will most likely fail again? I have a guy coming to my house Monday or Tuesday to take a look at it.

4. Oct 21, 2018 at 1:42 AM
    Cope223

Cope223 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brice
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    Also, I dont know the exact details, but I saw a forum post talking about an extension that covers this failure, but it mentioned 2011 models. I'm hoping I'm not getting screwed over since mine is 2012. Also, would it be ok to drive to Toyota how it is now? I dont want to mess anything else up if I shouldnt.

5. Oct 21, 2018 at 2:13 AM
    Cope223

Cope223 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brice
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    Wow, so after watching a video on the replacement I dont plan on doing this myself. I'm hoping it is covered under the warranty. If it is, great. I'll have it fixed and, as much as I hate to say this, will be getting rid of this current and future headache. I love my Tundra, but this is just sad. It makes me sick that such a widespread and common problem can be such a moneymaker for them.

jeremyd and 15whtrd like this.
  6. Oct 25, 2018 at 12:51 AM
    Cope223

Cope223 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brice
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    Well, P2445 and P0418 were what the mechanic told me. Took it to Toyota and they confirmed the problem. $2800 to fix. Called Toyota to try to get them to step up and fix the same issue as the 2007-2010 models and they said nope(expected). Disappointed to say the least. Imma leave the forum soon since I won't have my Tundra anymore. See yall later.

7. Oct 26, 2018 at 2:13 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Sorry it had to end this way. My heart goes out to you bro good luck.

Cope223[OP] likes this.
  8. Oct 26, 2018 at 2:20 PM
    Cope223

Cope223 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brice
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    Thank you. The service sales guy at Toyota has been their only good thing in all of this. Still having to pay $2,722.87, but that's better than the $3,400+tax it started at. The service manager kept telling me to call Toyota. I did and they pretty much told me I was screwed.

15whtrd likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top