1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Issues Already

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by darrylt, May 8, 2017.

1. May 8, 2017 at 7:53 AM
    darrylt

darrylt [OP] Making America Great Since 1948

Member:
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD 4X4 DC
    TRD CAI, Trifold Tonneau Cover Steelcraft Side Steps
    Recently bought a 2001.. took it for an alignment this morning and turns out that the left side control arm bushings are bad, frame rot starting near rear leaf spring mount points and signs of rack and pinion shifting (whatever that is). It only has 110k on it. I guess age matters more. So much for the new radio, backup camera and tow package. Anyone else had these problems?

2. May 8, 2017 at 7:56 AM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    Welcome from CO. Sorry that you have issues with your used truck. I'm sure someone with that same year or mileage will have an opinion on this.

3. May 8, 2017 at 8:19 AM
    mtntop

mtntop New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2004 4x4 Access Cab SR5
    Hi darryl, welcome from CO. I I can't speak to the rust. Did the truck come from up north? If the rack and pinion bushings haven't been replaced, do it and use the polyurethane bushings. They are about $30 and will take approx an hour to replace. I have a 2004 and have replaced the rack and pinion bushings 2x since 2004 when I bought it new and it gets used offroad a lot. I have a 190k miles on mine. It will be a night and day difference in handling once you get the UCA bushings replaced as well ;)

tomsinamerica likes this.
  4. May 8, 2017 at 8:22 AM
    tomsinamerica

tomsinamerica New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    White 2016 Tundra DC ltd
    sorry... by the sound of it though, if the rust is fixable, the rest shouldn't be too bad.

For the steering rack, if it's anything like my buddy's 4runner, the rubber bushings had just corroded, the replacement pack was only $20 or so and it wasn't that hard to do. It tightened up his steering quite a bit after that - he also replaced with polyurethane bushings instead of rubber.

For control arm bushings - maybe this is karma's way of telling you that you should upgrade your control arms to allow you to do a bigger lift later on? Do it right, do it once and all that....

As far as rust - I swear by POR15 - just don't get it on anything you don't want to be black for a very long time, including your hands. If the rust you have isn't structurally damaging, scrub it with a wire brush and then POR15 over the top. If it is structural, frames aren't as bad to repair as you'd think. For me, they're beyond my welding ability as I suuuuck at welding upside down. On my buddy's 4R, he had some severe rot in the back section of the frame - like, you can poke your finger through the bad spots... for $700, he had new metal welded in and strengthened trailing arm mounts.

Best of luck to you

TheBeast likes this.
  5. May 8, 2017 at 8:52 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    Welcome. POR 15 is great for rust.

Thegr8punkin likes this.
  6. May 8, 2017 at 9:50 AM
    Thegr8punkin

Thegr8punkin A G.D.M/Sofa King Cool/COTJ's dreamboat

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 blue sr5 2wd
    2 +5 hp stickers