1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is a conversion from RWD to 4x4 possible?

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by LoudEqualsFast, Jan 3, 2022.

1. Jan 3, 2022 at 10:58 AM
    LoudEqualsFast

LoudEqualsFast [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Grey Tundra SR5 V6 Access Cab
    Hey y’all. I’m very new to working on my vehicles myself. I have an ‘04 Tundra left to me by my late father. I am wondering if a conversion to four-wheel drive is even possible? I know i have a lot to learn and a lot of equipment to buy in general. If any of you know how this would be done i would love to know. (I am also curious if swapping the V6 with a V8 is possible or advisable?)

Darkness likes this.
  2. Jan 3, 2022 at 11:06 AM
    Tundra2

Tundra2 Zoinked

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tundra V8 SR5 '03 Corolla Virus
    It's possible to convert to 4WD. See this thread by @MrDirtjumper for a good indepth look at the work you're about to embark on.

https://www.tundras.com/threads/06-dc-daily-driver-2wd-to-4wd-conversion.48447/#post-1259884

For the V6, it's a little more difficult if you want it all to work like OEM would work but it has been done with the 3.4L V6 on a Tacoma.

The frame perches for the engine mounts are in different locations on the frame for the V6 versus the V8. A conversion has also been done, but can't remember what thread that was so I don't have anything to link you to look at.

That has been done also, but you'll have to weld new frame perches for the V8 if you're going to commit to that.

Neither option is cheap. Last Friday I was at a junkyard trying to pull a Transmission and transfer case to swap my V6 to 4WD also. I didn't have the right tools to get the job done plus other um... difficulties.

By the way, welcome to forum.

Darkness and MrDirtjumper like this.
  3. Jan 3, 2022 at 11:09 AM
    Tundra2

Tundra2 Zoinked

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
  4. Jan 3, 2022 at 11:17 AM
    shifty`

shifty` The Second Shortcoming of Christ

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    This is super valid ^^

I'd just add both require considerable intermediate-to-advanced mechanical knowledge with at least some exposure and hands-on experience. Without drive, initiative, and access to a lot of tools and support, this is no easy tackle.

You'll also need access to donor parts, like, any time you do a drivetrain swap you really need to have the engine harness and often times the ECU original to that drivetrain, else you'll find yourself in a mess of electrical diagnostics, re-pinning, reprogramming, flashing and who knows what else.

My comments are not an attempt to discourage you. Only to implore you: Set your path and expectations realistically ahead of starting. The journey you intend to embark is one that's led to many a never-ending-never-running project state where they're selling everything off at a loss after many dollars and hours spent.

Link: https://www.tundras.com/threads/first-gen-frame-interchange.96760/

And this is just one more thing to support what I just wrote: The "average" member here doesn't have access to or knowledge and experience to just randomly cut parts of frames off, much less separate and haul off a donor frame from a junkyard, and even more importantly, weld the chopped off donor pieces at correct angles and techniques. Much less means to swap the cab and bend to the new frame. Hell, I'd ballpark maybe only 2% of the guys on here have direct access to the proper welding equipment.

To that point, even you, with solid mechanical knowledge, were on the yard simultaneously posting questions here. I applaud you for that.

But the clear wisdom is in those first 4 words: Neither option is cheap. The more access to donor vehicle(s) and more knowledge you have, the cheaper it gets. But the reality is, even with the highest knowledge and most access to tools, chances are you can (maybe) end up at a break-even point with the guy who just sells their current truck and buys one with the options they want..........

alb1k, Schcoman and Tundra2[QUOTED] like this.
  5. Jan 3, 2022 at 11:20 AM
    Sirfive

Sirfive Master Procrastinator

Member:
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    ‘02 AC TRD
    Bassani cat-back
    Dont replace a world class 5vz with a second class 2uz. Thats alot of work and money for mediocrity. Easier doesnt always mean better.

but everything is possible with enough gumption.

Darkness and Tundra2 like this.
  6. Jan 3, 2022 at 11:29 AM
    Bikeric

Bikeric New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC 5.7
    Blown Engine.....
    I converted a 2wd 4runner to a 4wd. I did it the easy way by getting a complete 4wd 4Runner donor vehicle (rusted frame).
    My suggestion is to keep the 3.4L if you're not a professional auto mechanic.

1st Steps: Get the truck lifted up about 1 foot at all 4 corners. Remove all wheels and tires. Remove starter and rear driveshaft. Unbolt the transmission dipstick tube. Remove the exhaust from the manifolds back to the muffler. Drain all the tranny fluid and unhook the cooler lines to the radiator. Remove the cover and unbolt the torque convertor from the flywheel. Remove the bolts from the transmission to engine. Unplug all the wiring to the transmission and O2 sensors. Unbolt the shifter lever. Support your transmission with a jack. Unbolt the transmission cross-member. Remove transmission.

Next steps: Source the front clamshell diff (same gear ratio as your rear) and all the bolts. Remove your power steering rack (you need clearance to install the front diff). Install front diff. Either rebuild your existing knuckles or replace them with 4wd knuckles with the proper ABS tone ring. Source set of 2 CV axles and install. Reinstall your power steering rack.

Next steps: Install the transmission you found with the transfer case attached. Bolt down the bellhousing to the engine, but do not torque it down. Tighten the torque convertor to the flywheel first. Finish torqueing the transmission bellhousing bolts. You will now be able to see if the transmission support bracket will work or not (probably not). You will need to fab this part up yourself. Install all the electrical wiring to the transmission. You will be missing the wiring to the transfer case, and the existing speedo wiring may come up short.

Next steps: Get your previous rear driveshaft cut shorter and balanced. Have a new front driveshaft built from scratch or find a salvage unit. If your transfer case is electric controlled, you will need to replace your ECU with a 4x4 model and add the proper wiring. If you want to go with a manual transfer case you will need to cut a hole in the transmission tunnel to install the shift lever. If your doing the manual thing you will also need to over-ride the air actuator for the front diff. Remove that actuator, slide the fork lever to the right and use a worm clamp to keep it from moving left. Replace the actuator and just plug the air line hole.

Final steps: Add transmission fluid after you reconnected the dipstick tube and cooling lines to the radiator. Reconnect the exhaust with new gaskets. Install the starter and its wiring.

Backyard 4x4 should be complete.

OR.......Buy a "divorced" Atlas transfer case with companion flanges at all 3 locations. You still need to do the front diff and all that requires, but with the "divorced" Atlas you can keep the current transmission. Still need different length rear driveshaft and a custom front driveshaft, AND rigidly mount the Atlas transfer case.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    Darkness and shifty` like this.
  7. Jan 3, 2022 at 11:40 AM
    Tundra2

Tundra2 Zoinked

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    OP: a donor vehicle is the way to go if you're gonna do it. I'm holding off simply because a 3.4L 4wd tundra is hard to find. Trust me, I've been looking for a year or two now.

The parts can be sourced from Tacomas, 4runners, and Fj cruisers.

To do it rightly like OEM you'll need a complete wiring harness. Those are super hard to find... just like a donor vehicle.

My advice: buy another 4WD truck, and be done. I understand the sentimental value of these trucks especially if it was your dad's. Sorry for your loss OP. My V6 was gifted to me by my dad. I will never part with that truck. Ever.

Darkness and FrenchToasty like this.
  8. Jan 4, 2022 at 4:38 PM
    wiggilez

wiggilez New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 access cab 4x4 tundra
    Topper, 1.2-2" lift, older motorola radio
    upload_2022-1-4_19-37-55.jpg

9. Jan 5, 2022 at 9:25 AM
    bobjones

bobjones New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 tundra on 37s
    I did it on my 03 v8 150kmiles on the clock, It was super simple. I looked at selling my 2wd and purchasing a 4WD but at the time the 2wds would only bring $6-7k and all the 4wds cost north of $10k. In the end i spent $2100 on parts and everything just bolts right into place ( the truck is made to be 4wd) the most over priced part was finding a wood grain center console surround.. in the end i got a black one and swapped all the guts over. If i was to do it again i'd go for a full manual 4X4 setup so you dont have to splice in the wiring harness and the actuators aren't the most reliable any way and you save a lot on not having to buy all the electronics.

No offence to bikeric but you dont need to do a lot of what he said in the tundra. the steering 100% can stay in, coolant system doesnt get touched. I put a plastic bag a with a zip tie over the trans cooler lines and didnt have to drain anything

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    Darkness and Bikeric like this.
  10. Jan 5, 2022 at 11:25 AM
    Bikeric

Bikeric New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC 5.7
    Blown Engine.....
    Darkness and bmf4069 like this.
  11. Jan 5, 2022 at 11:40 AM
    bobjones

bobjones New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 tundra on 37s
    haha! I just realized the OP is a V6.. i can only speak to the 4x4 swap in the V8

Darkness likes this.
  12. Jan 8, 2022 at 8:19 AM
    smokey0810

smokey0810 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '03 Tundra SR5 AC 4WD
    I’d be content with the V6 and put the cash aside (and save the headaches) for a clean 4WD, especially if this truck has any sentimental value….

13. Jan 10, 2022 at 5:59 PM
    artsr2002

artsr2002 2005 Tundra DC SR5

Member:
    'Yonder
    Vehicle:
    Red-Maroon-Something 05 DC 4.7 4x2
    I'gree with Pimento. :rofl:

smokey0810 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top