1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Heavy Irrelevance

Discussion in '1st Gen Builds (2000-2006)' started by daveeasa, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Jul 27, 2021 at 6:25 PM
    daveeasa

daveeasa [OP] FBC Harness Solutions

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 RCLB 4x4, 2005 RC 5MT Prerunner, 2016 Tacoma OR DCSB 6MT
    So since they have it, give them timing belt and water pump and try to negotiate price on plugs and maybe valve cover gaskets?

Oh and try to get package deal on serp belt and tensioner.

2. Jul 27, 2021 at 6:27 PM
    empty_lord

empty_lord They see me rollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    The zero belt and tensioner should be done for no extra labor. It literally all comes off to do the belt. Just pay for the parts and they should do it. That’s a completely overlapping job

3. Jul 27, 2021 at 6:27 PM
    empty_lord

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    They likely won’t work a deal on the valve covers. Honestly I would see if any of the locals would be up to do a mod day or something and give you a hand doing it. They’re not bad at all to do

daveeasa[OP] likes this.
  4. Jul 27, 2021 at 6:30 PM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    I’m game to wrench. I’ll try to find parts. Just depends on how bad I can mess stuff up.

Oh and I owe speed freak a visit so he might be game on this one. Wanted to use him for help with the lift.

5. Jul 27, 2021 at 6:40 PM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    @empty_lord any thoughts on the tie rod? Probably need photos to tell?

6. Jul 27, 2021 at 6:55 PM
    empty_lord

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    What was the issue with it?

7. Jul 27, 2021 at 7:05 PM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    My notes say driver side inner and outer, need replacing, $1138.

I’ll probably go get the paperwork tomorrow so Im not left guessing about what I wrote down.

Tacoma Mike thought the pricing was a bit high on timing belt and water pump but I think he is in ME or something so maybe lower pricing all around.

8. Jul 27, 2021 at 7:09 PM
    empty_lord

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    The price for the t belt is competitive. Is it the best? Probably not. But for a deale.r. That’s a pretty damn good price. It’s 400 under what we charge at the dealer (it’s a menu item)

daveeasa[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  9. Jul 28, 2021 at 6:03 AM
    shifty`

shifty` Our private little trip to hell

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    Any reputable shop should be able to knock out that work for under $3k. Dealership is always going to be 100%-200% higher in price than most shops, I've found all in my area charge labor hours consecutively versus dropping hours if the two repairs require same work. This adds up fast at their hourly rate.

After my factory alternator caught fire and smoked some stuff a couple years ago, USAA had me carry it to the dealership for eval. Dealership quoted like $1,500 or something. The trusted mechanic I use when I don't have the time or energy charged around $600, and used Denso parts.

Inner/outer tie rod seems exorbitantly high to me, as does water pump. Tie rods are something I feel like you could buy, bolt up, then eyeball in if you're mech-savvy, then roll to a nearby shop for an alignment. Note: I haven't had to do the job on my 1st gen yet, so maybe I'm ignorant.

Spark plugs are easy enough for you to do in under an hour for a fraction of the cost, using high-end plugs. #8 seems like BS, you could do the gaskets yourself for a tiny fraction of that. You could find the leak with a simple UV dye kit before dropping the money on anything.

I only use stealership for diagnostics and insurance-paid work these days. But I'd take them up on the timing belt offer.

10. Jul 28, 2021 at 9:35 AM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Thanks everyone for all the help so far. Timing belt is a go, everything else there was no flexibility on price so it's a wait and try to shop around. The water pump is apparently $1200 normally so $598 is a "deal" when done with the timing belt? Doesn't seem like that much of a deal to me if it's something you bolt in but I bet it's more complicated than I realize not having done it. Water pump apparently includes the serpentine belt then the $398 extra is for the tensioner which is about $200 in parts and $170 in labor which I find kind of high for a tensioner. I've fiddled with one on my Lemond stationary bike, I know it's a bit of a hassle to get just right but a trained mechanic with proper tools and workspace, I can't see how that's a full hour of work.

One question remains, do I buy all the parts from the dealer? Inner and outer tie rods, valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, water pump, serpentine belt, serpentine belt tensioner. Or do I get part numbers and then order online since it's a good chunk? And are there any aftermarket options superior to OEM on these types of parts?

11. Jul 28, 2021 at 9:37 AM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Also since I plan to redo the entire suspension and swap to 17's, I suspect the tie rods would be mixed into that work so we just do one alignment at the end? Unless there is value in separating?

12. Jul 28, 2021 at 10:08 AM
    BubbaW

BubbaW Been Real

Member:
    First Name:
    Bubba
    Where Eagles Nest
    Vehicle:
    04 DC LTD 4X4 4.7 V8
    T150 Lover
    As others have commented before in other threads, asking dealer if they will except parts you have bought online is a good idea and I assume they only accept OEM. As for parts where others are replacing, definetely shop around. Since Cool Springs Toyota is no longer, I have found McGeorge Toyota very responsive in shipment and in answering questions if you choose to call. Also when ordering with them, supplying VIN is a big help, they will call or email if they question an item they don’t feel fits.

daveeasa[OP] likes this.
  13. Jul 28, 2021 at 10:20 AM
    cardinal

cardinal New Member

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2021 SSM CM LTD TRD4x4
  14. Jul 28, 2021 at 10:32 AM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! I'm thinking get part numbers and shop online since I'm in no sort of hurry. The question about OEM vs aftermarket was purely focused on quality (is there a superior aftermarket option for, say, a tie rod) and not at all about price (I plan to spend something bordering on ridiculous on this truck for emotional reasons, hence the Suzie Orman reference earlier as in "don't do what I do".) One super nice thing about a 20 year old truck which someone else gave a beatdown for 11 years is that I don't feel any obligation to stick with OEM parts for warranty reasons but for sure I'll use them if they are the best option.

New $70 bezel has been ordered but I got the 03-04 wider one to see what the exact dimensions are and if I feel like attempting to file it. Also got some knobs. That should take care of a lot of the glue. Some on the rear window too but that's glass so likely easier to clean. The glue on the dash might take some delicate effort. Removing the stickers on the windows is even proving to be a bit of a challenge, though I haven't put a ton of time in yet. The fun thing here is that this is a 10 year project so I can just chip away at it as time permits. And hopefully once the boys are older there will be more time than the few minutes I get right now.

I also might try to sand and paint the original bezel and see how that looks. MGM perhaps. Give it a little bit of flavor. I think the vents pop right out.

cardinal[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Jul 28, 2021 at 11:16 AM
    Speed Freek

Speed Freek New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Ok so I literally couldnt figure out why I was not able to post until I realized this is Tundras.com and not Tacoma World! Sheesh..

So if the Timing belt job listed there includes OE Denso parts and labor its a hell of a deal.

Rear shoes, if you want to swap to disk in the rear its not really worth it IMO, the drums actually work pretty well and you rarely have to change the shoes, I have done the disk swaps and its a lot of time and money and simply not worth the hassle unless you are auto-crossing every weekend. You also have to replace the master cylinder as well during the swap.

Tie rods, thats pretty expensive, I can save you money on that for sure!

Serp belt and tensioner, I can beat that as well.

I can surely do the valve covers as well for a LOT cheaper than quoted and may as well do the spark plugs at the same time while its apart since there is overlapping labor there.

Anyway I shot you a text about the Tbelt asking about if it was parts and labor but if it is then thats a good price!
    Just lemme know and I can save you a bunch of cash.

16. Jul 28, 2021 at 4:05 PM
    Jack McCarthy

Jack McCarthy Truck repair enthusiast; Rust Aficionado

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    North of Boston
    Vehicle:
    02 Tundra AC SR5 V8 4x4
    It's really not that hard to do. The tough part is getting a good grip on the inner tie rods using a monkey wrench. A better option is to buy a specialized $30-$40 wide opening skinny crescent wrench (like 3-4 inch opening with 1/4" width) that would allow you to use the inner hex pattern on the tie rod itself. Biggest gotcha is to make sure you keep the steering rack in place via a regular crescent wrench to hold the rack while you screw on/off the inner tie rod.

Outer tie rods are easy and can be done in your sleep. You could even borrow tools from Autozone to help pop out the tie rod if a BFH doesn't work for you.

I did my inner tie rods with Moog since they were on the pricey side for OEM, but I used OEM on the outer since they aren't that expensive. The Moogs are still holding up well after 50K miles.

@daveeasa It's actually good you posted this...just took a look and it looks like they have some inexpensive wrenches like I stated above at Lowes. I think I might buy one. haha

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Adj...Vw5yzCh2HwgA-EAQYASABEgLclvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    des2mtn and daveeasa[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  17. Jul 31, 2021 at 3:28 PM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    A quick Thank You for suggesting this. I just got one for my buddy as his Kia Sorrento is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.

And while I was all stoked on the possibility of him buying a brand new vehicle, today I learned that it is a 2019 with 20k miles. Still, I suspect for his use (hauling dogs and towing a really neat aluminum fish and wildlife boat from Montana back to central Cali coast for use in the ocean) I think it's a pretty smart move. Smart because I get to go hog f'ing wild now with the Tundra...

FrenchToasty[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Aug 1, 2021 at 3:48 PM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Well it needs a little scrubbing with a soft cloth but looks like a nice improvement from before. Opening measures 8x4. Don’t think I can make it any bigger.

94D8FEBD-136C-414B-9B20-E07D09EA590E.jpg

Also got a tailgate handle to try out, old one is toast.

7BF261CD-ECB6-4EE7-ACCE-479A30844424.jpg

Taco-Spike and BubbaW like this.
  19. Aug 1, 2021 at 7:33 PM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Ok, funny, old tailgate handle was just fine. Oh well, $12 for new plastic I guess. Just needed lube and the cover plate be t back straight and it opens clean now.

New wiper blades on too.

Working on USB power next, maybe re-route speaker wire so the radio works too

Taco-Spike likes this.
  20. Aug 1, 2021 at 7:42 PM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Ah, it’s Alpine components I used. Remembering now.

6B2E0B67-7F72-4E24-8E87-EBFE30C47358.jpg

And boom, just like that we have tunes again.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    Darkness likes this.
  21. Aug 1, 2021 at 10:19 PM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Got started on front stack cleanup. Interestingly, the head unit has a bluetooth module, I had totally forgotten about that. Given that it's 10 years old, who knows if that works at all.

I did have the radio working again but it's non-operable right now it seems, I'm hoping because I disconnected all the buttons in the center stack as I hosed off the replacement and I'm waiting for it to dry out before transferring the electronics over.

Tundra2 likes this.
  22. Aug 1, 2021 at 10:39 PM
    empty_lord

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    If the clock isn’t plugged in, the radio will not work.

Tundra2 and daveeasa[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  23. Aug 1, 2021 at 10:55 PM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Cool, thanks Dan.

In other news, the mechanic who did my timing chain apparently did not see visible leaking of the water pump. That's good news since my wife wants to use the truck to park at the airport. It's a fairly good choice since it's the beatermobile for now, but that means I won't have access to it for almost a week once she leaves. Upside is I can finish a few minivan items:

1. Rear seat usb power (for the times when I'm lucky enough to be in the 3rd row and I can ignore my own kids in the middle
    2. Replace driver side sunshade which my older son destroyed when he was 2. Let's hope I got the right part for that. It's been sitting for almost 2 years I think.
    3. route the dometic always-hot power cord from the fuse box into the pocket where the vacuum would be if we had the fancy model. So I can run the fridge even when we stop. I'll have to drill a hole in the plastic, with the panel off for usb it'll be that much easier.

Tonight I have to crimp a few harnesses to send out to various people tomorrow am.

Tomorrow night is place a big Toyota parts order:

1. Water pump parts
    2. valve cover gasket parts
    3. inner and outer tie rods
    4. Would be super slick if I can dig up the part number for the cover on the center seat belt anchor (it's mass covered in gorilla glue, would be nice to replace if not spendy)
    5. Probably a bunch of other stuff I'm not thinking about, must review the paper
    I'll also probably order a front header rail for the Tacoma.

Last, I have to go to the Leer dealer and get new struts & legit 3rd brake light. My $5 NAPA hack job with Boss 315 seemed to survive the trip my friends made with my dog to big bear while we hiked San Jacinto. So I have some time there which is good.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    Tundra2 likes this.
  24. Aug 2, 2021 at 12:08 AM
    empty_lord

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    When your at the dealer, IF you get a chance, could you inquire about the part numbers for the side windows you’ve got? My dealers been useless. I may have to drive to leers plant and get a quote

25. Aug 2, 2021 at 12:17 AM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Definitely will try. Not sure this dealer is going to be better, I kind of knew more than the people I talked to about the product itself when I ordered my 100xq. It's all about finding that one person who knows something...

26. Aug 3, 2021 at 11:16 AM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Got my initial parts order in.

Now I need to figure out brakes. If I'm sticking with drums in the rear I want 14wa on the fronts if I can locate 17" wheels, otherwise 13wa calipers? Probably need new disks too. And then on the drums, I have no idea what to do with those, they need to be re-machined or something. Gonna be a lot of learning going on...

Tundra2 likes this.
  27. Aug 3, 2021 at 12:16 PM
    Tundra2

Tundra2 Zoinked

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tundra V8 SR5 '03 Corolla Virus
    2002 has the 13WE (smaller calipers) same as me. I just placed an order for bolt on 13WL which are slightly larger.

Others have reported success with the 14WA with no additional major modifications to the booater/master cylinder. There are others who have reported a mushy feeling like @FirstGenVol. I think I should let him see this post, and give you better details since it is his truck, and he has all the first hand accounts with it.

@Thrussn has installed a T100 booster, and Master cylinder with a bigger bore (???) which can yield higher PSI than our stock B/MC. The 14WA are a bigger piston caliper which means they require more pressure to extend.

Here is a link to @Thrussn's T100 Booster/Master cylinder Upgrade. Happy reading David!

Darkness, Thrussn and daveeasa[OP] like this.
  28. Aug 3, 2021 at 12:30 PM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, thanks, I have skimmed some on the T100 booster and figured it was on the list of things to do. Brakes are a near term phase 2 b/c they are not great right now and I want to go hog wild, especially if I'm keeping drums in the back. But I think to do it right means 17's and I currently have no line on reasonably priced wheels. And it would be nice if I could mix and match my steelies with snow tires on them for either truck so I'm a bit torn on the brake calipers to use. I figure I'll hit up @Speed Freek to discuss while he's doing the tie rods in late August and I can order them then as I might go with stoptech or some other aftermarket product(s).

Thanks for the info and keeping me off the edge of buying the wrong stuff.

29. Aug 3, 2021 at 12:34 PM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    14WA calipers have been a nightmare for me but I've been the exception, not the norm. Countless other people have done the swap without issue. Some did T100 upgrade which is pretty sweet. I've changed my diagnosis of my issue multiple times over the last 10 months but I'm at least somewhat confident I still have air trapped in my damn ABS lines/module.

Thrussn likes this.
  30. Aug 3, 2021 at 6:51 PM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    So if you were in my shoes, 13wa or you’d go 14’s again and suffer?

To Top