1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

intermittent low idle and stalling 2006 4.7L- no CEL or fault codes initially

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by BinPG, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Jul 15, 2021 at 5:12 PM
    BinPG

BinPG [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra Limited double cab 4x4 4.7L
    Leer canopy, rhino-lined bumpers and bed, DIN head unit, remote start, rear air bags, LT265 tires, black Fuel rims, cordura seat covers, dual s/s Dynomax exhaust, front sun spoiler, rear windows tinted, 7 pin trailer hitch,
    just wanted to share this as reading forums such as this influenced me to buy my 2006 Tundra double cab Limited 4x4 at 193K kms here in BC, Canada in 2019 & I am so impressed with most of the quality I see in the design and build of the truck- so smooth, leak-free, oozes general quality. I plan to keep it a long time but was recently getting discouraged by a gremlin that appeared out of nowhere and made no sense.

in the a.m. I am towing the truck to the local shop that did my timing belt, water pump & tensioner about 18K kms ago as I found the problem! I expect they will acknowledge their mistake- while there is no way to make it totally right, they can at least cover my tow and the repair so I can get back to enjoying the truck as intended.

and money saved on the repair can go towards some future upgrades- mainly a OME or Toytec suspension/adjustable UCA's - maybe a bumper and skid plate or two. a winch, speaker upgrade, DD injectors, DT lt headers - you know ;)

--------------------
    email to shop:
    "
    Hi Tanya

please see the 2 pictures attached.

so basically in June 2019 @ 194K about the timing belt and water pump, tensionser and some other preventative maintenance was done on the truck.

zero issues until June 2020 and I had a -no start- condition one night out of the blue. Had it towed to your shop as there was no CEL and battery was good. it started fine for your mechanics and no CEL or fault codes.

* new Interstate battery in Feb this year preventative as the last battery was getting on in age

in early June this year I started to had some intermittent hesitation and low idle, some stalling when stopped at the lights. No CEL or fault codes.

for preventative maintenance sake, I cleaned the throttle body with the appropriate cleaner, MAF as well, checked all the coil harnesses were snug. Truck ran as normal most of the time- plenty of power, no hesitation, smooth.

low idle and some stalls were still occurring intermittently. I replaced the spark plugs with NGK and OEM gapping.

truck was running great with a cpl of stalls very far apart.

evening of July 10th I was driving into town on Hwy97s and it stalled and I just got onto shoulder of highway. a CEL appeared when I tried to restart- I had my code reader with me and pulled codes:
    1- PO335 crankshaft position sensor
    2- PO353 - bank II ignition coil cyl #3
    3- PO357- bank II ignition coil cyl #7

based on what I could figure out, the CPS could lead to the ignition fault and I bought a new Bosch CPS and installed when part came in July 13. still no start, same codes.

cleared codes and unhooked battery. verified battery is fully charged.

same no start.

checked plugs and coils again- harness connectors, etc. started to go to try visually inspect the wiring as there was some information I had read that this suggests a wiring issues and other first gen Tundra owners have had a problem with the wiring harness being routed incorrectly after a timing belt/water pump replacement.

I could feel by hand where the wiring and the belt were in contact and got pictures with my phone.

the pictures shows bare wiring on the CPS harness - and damage caused by the accessory belt.

I will call in the morning to get a tow arranged to your shop.

thank you"

Stratford 2004 Tundra- cps wiring accessory belt rubbing 1.jpg
    stratford- 2004 tundra- cps wiring rubbed by accessory belt 2.jpg

2. Sep 27, 2021 at 7:27 PM
    HulkSmurf14

HulkSmurf14 ...Weighted Average...

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Limited
    Tastefully enhanced...
    Yowza! Any luck from the shop? Nice catch on the wires being voluntold to kiss each other! I hope it was acknowledged and is staying happy!

3. Sep 28, 2021 at 6:46 AM
    BinPG

BinPG [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra Limited double cab 4x4 4.7L
    Leer canopy, rhino-lined bumpers and bed, DIN head unit, remote start, rear air bags, LT265 tires, black Fuel rims, cordura seat covers, dual s/s Dynomax exhaust, front sun spoiler, rear windows tinted, 7 pin trailer hitch,
    I'll give them credit- the shop completed the repair for free and reimbursed the tow. I did not haggle (nag-gle lol) with them on the CPS part and insurance reimbursed me $50 for the first tow, so I figured if a shop is going to own their mistake and I am sure that it was by mistake, then this was a satisfactory resolution as opposed to continuing to small claims court or something not worth the energy and time.

truck runs great since then and next is usual fall prep and checking the 12v socket/cig lighter fuses.

cheers!

HulkSmurf14 likes this.
  4. Sep 28, 2021 at 7:50 AM
    HulkSmurf14

HulkSmurf14 ...Weighted Average...

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra Limited
    Tastefully enhanced...
    Great to hear! Have you bypassed the IAIP yet? Might worth consideration if you're not getting too many smog tests where you're at...a simple 10 min preventive maintenance bypass when miles start going up where you're at...

5. Sep 2, 2023 at 10:36 AM
    pdoctors

pdoctors New Member

Member:
    2005 tundra xtra cab
    Thanks so much for posting this….i had the EXACT same issue….took it to a shop…they charged me for cleaning throttle body and a new battery (mine was old)…didn’t solve problem…then I went the route of changing the secondary air injection valves from another post…btw…that job is only about 1 hour total!! Then i found this post and discovered the exact same thing….the tie that held the cable tight to the face of engine came off…just nipped the wire….cut it and respliced the wires….working perfect now. Thanks again.

Products Discussed in

To Top