1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Installed GoRhino RB20 Running Boards

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by treihing, Jun 29, 2018.

1. May 8, 2019 at 7:48 AM
    Blkdmax

Blkdmax New Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement CrewMax 4x4
    Awesome, thanks. You have good taste. I just put method nv with 295 70 18s on my truck

PNW-Tundra[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. May 10, 2019 at 12:30 PM
    Novajess1972

Novajess1972 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TSS OFF ROAD
    Ready Lift 4in/20x10 Fuel Triton/35x12.50 BFG KM3
    I like how these tuck close to the body, creating a taller look.

3. Mar 13, 2022 at 3:02 PM
    TundraRV

TundraRV New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 SX Double Cab
    Bumping this old thread. Owners of RB20 that have had them installed for year plus... how is the overall finish holding up? looking into a set. In NJ, salt belt so want to know.

4. Mar 13, 2022 at 4:27 PM
    Puppypappa

Puppypappa New Member

Member:
    RB20 owner in Ontario Canada. Bedliner coating option from GoRhino. Steps and coating have held up good for 2 winters. NOT the brackets. Absolutely terrible and peeled/rusted after 3 months. Finally had the brackets Linex'd and have been holding up well.

hANNAbONE, LS3 and TundraRV like this.
  5. Mar 19, 2022 at 2:49 PM
    Chip_Tundra

Chip_Tundra New Member

Member:
    I love my set. No more complaints from the family in terms of getting in and out of the truck.

6. Mar 31, 2022 at 9:22 AM
    Cb19

Cb19 New Member

Member:
    Can anyone recommend a good place to buy a pair from?

7. Mar 31, 2022 at 9:47 AM
    Cb19

Cb19 New Member

Member:
    Also, been seeing that the bedliner finish isn't as good as the powdercoat - any experience anyone can share? Thanks!

8. Aug 6, 2023 at 3:25 PM
    therealjonwick

therealjonwick New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR
    Getting RB20’s. Going to raptor liner the brackets. Did you prime them first? I plan to coat them before I put them on. Wondering if I can skip priming them. Thanks!

9. Aug 6, 2023 at 3:49 PM
    KirthGersen

KirthGersen New Member

Member:
    So Calif
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Crewmax
    I don't know what "raptor liner" is. All the RB20 support brackets are unplated steel, or poorly applied black paint, and will rust. The supplied bolts are generic , electroplated zinc , and will rust within a year.
    I sprayed several thin coats of 3M "Weld Through Coating" onto brackets. It's a zinc-rich coating with good adhesion & must be applied over clean bare metal. I think I might have had to strip off any original paint from the brackets.
    The 3M is better than any primer I've used. Although it leaves rough matte finish, it's not visible from top. Also not intended for long term sun or UV exposure, not a problem down under.

I re-used the original Toyota bolts to attach brackets to underside of truck's rocker panels. To attach the the small "cross brackets" I used these zinc-dichromate plated bolts (Amazon ASIN# B0040CRWBY). Both sets of bolts are rust-free.
    All bolt threads were coated with aluminum-based antiseize compound before assembly.

The running boards themselves are a nice, non-slip powder coat. They've held up well, No problems.

I live in So Calif about a mile from ocean, no snow. If you live in a state that applies salt & corrosive chemicals to snow-covered roads, nothing will last, including your truck's body & frame.

I have had the RB20s about 5 yrs now, and I would buy them again.

ADDED: price of 3M weld through coating has gone sky high, about $40 / can (!!).
    Possibly Rustoleum "cold galvanizing compound" or Rustoleum "clean metal primer" would also work well.

10. Aug 6, 2023 at 4:05 PM
    therealjonwick

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR
    Thank your for the detailed response. Much appreciated. I live in upstate NY. Rust belt for sure. I do a liquid undercoating to mitigate corrosion as much as possible. I will deff use your method on the hardware. Raptor liner is like a truck bed liner.

11. Aug 6, 2023 at 5:17 PM
    KirthGersen

KirthGersen New Member

Member:
    So Calif
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Crewmax
    You're welcome!
    re: 3M "Weld Through Coating"
    I just re-watched one of the 3M video ... he emphatically stated the coating is Not intended as a regular "primer" and any top-coats will stick poorly. But I just left mine "bare" and is long as it's out of direct sun, it seems to hold up just fine.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y317f2KP-z4

12. Aug 6, 2023 at 7:34 PM
    therealjonwick

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR
    Awesome! I’ll give it a go. Are these the bolts you suggested: 25 Hex Head Sems Body Bolts 5/16"-18 X 1-1/16"

13. Aug 6, 2023 at 8:20 PM
    KirthGersen

KirthGersen New Member

Member:
    So Calif
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Crewmax
    Yes, those are the bolts. They're a bit pricey, but I am OCD about fasteners -- I like the "pilot tip" and built-in flat washer. These 5/16" bolts attach attach the small "cross bar brackets" between the RB20 main steps and the brackets that attach to the underside of body. (caveat: I bought my RB20 5 yrs ago, it's always possible the design changed)

The bolts that attach to the body are metric. Don't recall their size, I just reused the Toyota bolts from the original tube side steps on the truck. RB20 comes with the correct size metric bolts but I didn't use them, they were cheap looking materials relative to Toyota bolts.

Of course, most non-OCD people will find ordinary electroplated zinc bolts to be OK, they'll just rust prematurely.

I can't overemphasize importance of applying aluminum-based antiseize on all bolt threads, and a little bit inside female threads. The last thing you'll want is the bolts corroding, seizing inside the body's female threads, and spreading rust into the body.

Also, I had to use a few stainless steel fender washers as shims , under the RB20's main brackets that attach to the body, to get those brackets to lay flat.
    The RB20 main brackets are Not manufactured as precisely as the brackets on the original Toyota tubular steps.

And finally, be very alert if a shop is using a typical 2-post lift. The contact pads at end of the lift's adjustable arms have to be sufficiently high to prevent the arms from hitting the RB20 brackets. Else, could cause nasty damage to the body's underside.

upload_2023-8-6_20-13-55.png upload_2023-8-6_20-16-10.png

14. Aug 7, 2023 at 3:58 AM
    therealjonwick

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR
    I will put them on myself. Thanks for all of the info. I always use anti-seize on everything. Have had some bad experiences. It’s a life safer. I have running boards so I will reuse their bolts. Only issue I’ll have is blasting the paint already on the brackets away. Don’t have anything for that (grinder/sand blaster) Might just try to wipe them down and coat them as is with the 3m or rhino liner. Better than nothing and with the other bolts I’ll feel pretty good about it.

15. Aug 7, 2023 at 8:41 AM
    KirthGersen

KirthGersen New Member

Member:
    So Calif
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Crewmax
    Do NOT apply 3M "weld through coating" over paint: it won't stick. Over bare metal only.
    If you need another coat of paint over the existing paint, the Rustoleum solvent-based spray enamels are pretty good, but they seem to require a few days curing for maximum hardness & adhesion.

Products Discussed in

To Top