1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Info on lifting 1st gen access cab

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Ghgduncan21, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Dec 17, 2020 at 4:21 PM
    Ghgduncan21

Ghgduncan21 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duncan
    Vehicle:
    Black 2005 toyota tundra access cab
    I recently bought my first tundra. I have to replace the front struts so figure id put a lift in it.
    My plan is to install bilstein 6112's and add a 3 inch level with either an add a leaf in rear or blocks for now and add 5100s also.

Question is: will this combination of 6112s and 3 in level strut spacer work without changing anything major?

Also would be open to input on other ideas.

My goal is to try and get 4ish inches of lift.

2. Dec 17, 2020 at 5:03 PM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
    6112s are adjustable however, at 3 inches you would probably want to consider adjustable UCAs. Don't do a coil over lift and a spacer lift, choose one or the other. Stacking different types of lifts would be bad (don't cross the streams! Ghostbuster reference).

Spacers are cheaper but there are considerations - take a look at this it will help you understand lift types and pros/cons- https://www.tundras.com/threads/guide-different-types-of-lifts.546/

2.5 to 3 inches will allow you to run 34-35 inch tires, so do you really need 4 inches of lift? Post info on your truck- year, engine, how you use it (towing, offroad, street only?) and you will get some recommendations.

And here is a ton of info with pics and setups of tundras with 6112 suspensions https://www.tundras.com/threads/6112-setting-and-tire-wheel-combo-thread.23699/

abcinv and Sunnier like this.
  3. Dec 17, 2020 at 5:10 PM
    Ghgduncan21

Member:
    First Name:
    Duncan
    Vehicle:
    Why is it bad to cross the suspension with strut spacers?

Also with the 2-3 inch lift how much cutting needs to be done to get 35s? The thread says you can only 33s i don't want to cut more than I need.

4. Dec 17, 2020 at 5:28 PM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    I think the advice is to not combine coilovers and spacers on the same axles. The reason is, if you hit a hard bump— say, off-roading, or crossing speed bumps at speed, or even during a collision, the shocks may collapse on the spacer.

But I read you maybe meant you’d put coilovers on the front now (no spacers!) and do a spacer only lift on the rear for now, then replace those with coilovers down the road. That’d work, just won’t be as comfortable as coilovers front and back. In all cases, my recommendation is to skip spacers. If you want, replace the leaf springs. Also shackles > spacers.

5. Dec 17, 2020 at 5:30 PM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    Also, as @frichco228 suggested, telling us what you do with your truck, will get your better guidance.

6. Dec 17, 2020 at 5:30 PM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
    spacers have their purpose and if you are going for looks alone they may suit you, but again, you should not be trying to run 2-3 inch lifted coil over AND a 2-3 inch spacer kit. At most, some folks use top spacers in the 1/4 to 1/2 inch range for another 1/2 to 1 inch lift. Spacer can cause issues with suspension binding, broken shocks if you go offroad or cycle the suspension full range. If you are street only a level spacer kit could be an ok choice, folks also report that spacers can ride ruff.

As far as fitting 35s, check that thread on the 6112s I posted. Tons of discussion on fitting 34-35 inchers in there with pics, details on what was needed trimming, etc. Wheel offset is also critical when fitting 35s.

Bottom line is the wheels, tires, suspension all need to work together.

Spend a little time reviewing those threads, you will be glad you did and will learn a lot about your truck.

7. Dec 18, 2020 at 9:24 AM
    Ghgduncan21

Member:
    First Name:
    Duncan
    Vehicle:
    Awesome glad I asked a lot of good info! Thanks.

The truck is mostly going to be looks but odds are will use off road maybe 20% of time. And off road isn't anything crazy more when I'm hunting or fishing won't be mudding or rock climbing with it.

8. Dec 18, 2020 at 9:32 AM
    Ghgduncan21

Member:
    First Name:
    Duncan
    Vehicle:
    Also I have a first gen access cab if you weren't aware haha

Products Discussed in

To Top