1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Indestructible Phone

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ARES, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Aug 11, 2018 at 3:33 PM
    ARES

ARES [OP] ARES Fabrications

Member:
    God Bless America
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Cement
    Fellow Tundra Brothers just wanted to tell about my adventures with phones. Well for the past 2.5 years I had been sporting the Samsung galaxy s7 active... Let me tell you it has taken the beatings like a champ!

A bit of a background im a Lineman and I have been doing Line construction for quite a few years now and I cant remember how many times I've dropped my phone from 30ft plus onto gravel, asphault, you name it. And she just kept kickin. Well I finally did her in and got a replacement the S8 active so we will see how she holds up.
    Will upload some photos of her enduring abuse soon as I get done with some of these brackets.

Sunnier, speckmon, Watt maker and 2 others like this.
  2. Aug 11, 2018 at 5:21 PM
    OBXTundra

OBXTundra Member

Member:
    Southeast USA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan Armada, 4x4
    S4- bulletproof, finally broke it in an MTB wreck when it was in my camelback.
    S7- Still have it. Can also say I've dropped it (with a case) 100+ times. At least 2 dozen of those times I fully expected the phone to be done. It has been through rain storms out on the boat. Been blasted with a hose (inadvertently). Been stuck in the soaking wet pocket of my riding pants during a 4-5 hour stint in the rain on a dual sport trip. The case is a cheapo Amazon SUPCASE. Going on 3 years old. Battery just as good and operating system just as fast as new.

Mom and Wife both praise their J7's as well.

I do not like the increased size of each new model. The S7 is almost a phablet, the S4 was still a phone. I worry that when I do want to upgrade the phones are just going to be too big.

Sunnier and ARES[OP] like this.
  3. Aug 11, 2018 at 5:46 PM
    ARES

Member:
    God Bless America
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Cement
    My s7 active has quite a few gravel indentions. I never put a case on it because thats why I bought it I hated cases. I used a screw driver to pry the side back and a piece of 2x4. Still functioned great until it got ran over by my line truck ha. The s8 active is slight larger but you have a lot more screen.

Sunnier likes this.
  4. Aug 11, 2018 at 6:35 PM
    lionix

lionix The Grey Moose!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cape May, New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TRD Pro CM Cement
    BD Lights, Any Time Fog, Coachbuilder, Pelfreybilt, Bakflip, Custom Bed Rack w/ Tent
    I actually broke an s7 active. My s8 active has been holding its own though.

ARES[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  5. Aug 11, 2018 at 6:41 PM
    4x4_Angel

4x4_Angel Perfectly Imperfect Tomboy....TTC #132

Member:
    First Name:
    Bree
    Funky Town, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM Silver Sky
    ToyTec BOSS Lift, FRAC, 18" Fuel Pump wheels, Nitto Ridge Grapplers
    I have an S6 that is still ticking even after a deployment where it endured a ton of abuse....even flying off the top of the hummer when i forgot to grab it after dismounting the heavy:anonymous:

ARES[OP] and Sunnier like this.
  6. Aug 11, 2018 at 7:49 PM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    Have had an S8 with the edge screen for about 9 months. It is a really good phone and great camera. fairly durable. The screen protectors do not work well with the edge screen, do not stay on very good.
    Recently the battery was draining really fast, about a week later the back was separated about half way around. The battery had swelled up and popped the back loose. $60 for a new battery installed.

4x4_Angel likes this.
  7. Aug 11, 2018 at 7:51 PM
    Sas

Sas Humor is everywhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    OKC, OK
    Vehicle:
    '17 SR5 CM TSS 4WD MGM 5.7 FF
    Lost track after #1.
    My S5 is still going strong. Just put a case around it though a couple of weeks ago b'c AT&T doesn't do the free phone upgrade w/a contract anymore apparently. :mad:

UNTMatt, 4x4_Angel and Trooper2 like this.
  8. Aug 11, 2018 at 7:51 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    iPhone. Good to go :stirthepot:

Sunnier likes this.
  9. Aug 11, 2018 at 7:58 PM
    lionix

lionix The Grey Moose!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cape May, New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TRD Pro CM Cement
    BD Lights, Any Time Fog, Coachbuilder, Pelfreybilt, Bakflip, Custom Bed Rack w/ Tent
    Get the protection plan and have an accident.

4x4_Angel and Sas[QUOTED] like this.
  10. Aug 11, 2018 at 8:13 PM
    4x4_Angel

4x4_Angel Perfectly Imperfect Tomboy....TTC #132

Member:
    First Name:
    Bree
    Funky Town, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM Silver Sky
    ToyTec BOSS Lift, FRAC, 18" Fuel Pump wheels, Nitto Ridge Grapplers
    I
    Have a warranty on my phone that i pay for for just in case through AT&T....it has definitely come in handy in the past

ARES[OP] and Sas[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Aug 11, 2018 at 9:42 PM
    Tundra Fan

Tundra Fan Got 17's?

Member:
    First Name:
    Toby
    Nor Cal (Placer Co.)
    Vehicle:
    2013 Platinum-SOLD 2022 Sequoia, Celestial Silver Metallic
    I loved my S4 and had to give it up when we switched to Sprint (a temporary lapse in judgement; hated every minute of it). Switched back to at&t and got the S7 edge. It's a great phone as well, and I will probably keep it til it dies. I used to feel the same as you about the phablet sized phones, but now that my close up eyesight is getting shitty, I'm thinking about grabbing an older Note. At least the older big phones were wide in comparison with how tall they are, the S8's all look tall and skinny.

OBXTundra[QUOTED] and 4x4_Angel like this.
  12. Aug 11, 2018 at 9:50 PM
    speckmon

speckmon Must. Have. Pow.

Member:
    Thornton, CO
    Vehicle:
    '07 mountain road bomber
    Awesome dude!

I rock the Samsung 8 active because I'm constantly bombing down the mountains and it holds up great! I've plunged into lakes with it, been stuck over my head in pow, and ripped into a few boulders and this thing is still running. Love my Galaxy S8 active.

PS I got a Pelican case for it ;)

ARES[OP] and Sunnier like this.
  13. Aug 12, 2018 at 6:39 AM
    UNTMatt

UNTMatt New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Attitude Black 4x4 Limited
    TRD Pro grille, TRD Pro black badging, TRD Pro shift knob, LED under dash lights, GBS, Llumar ceramic tint, BackFlip HD.
    I have the same phone. It's still going after years of abuse but it is starting to give up the ghost. People can't hear me well when I talk so it will have to be replaced sooner than I'd like. The S5 was the last time we purchased a phone at AT&T and they told me that the two year contract option was going away.

I just replaced my wife's S4 Active that was giving up the ghost. I just paid out of pocket for the Google Pixel 2 so we would have no contract and no bloatware garbage apps that we couldn't uninstall on the phone. I don't know how durable it is but you can get some good armored cases for it. I've heard rumors that the Pixel 3 will have a glass back to facilitate wireless charging (the Pixel 2 doesn't have that feature). If that's the case, I'll have to order me a Pixel 2 before they stop selling them. I'd break a glass phone in no time flat.

--Matt

Sas[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Aug 12, 2018 at 7:26 AM
    Festerw

Festerw New Member

Member:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tundra DC
    I've had my pixel 2 for almost a year now, stuck it in a Incipio Dualpro case and a screen protector. It's been dropped more times than I care to admit, once off a 10ft ladder onto ceramic tile, multiple times out of the truck onto asphalt and at least once into a puddle.

Still kicking along with no problems!

UNTMatt likes this.
  15. Aug 12, 2018 at 9:03 AM
    RonW

RonW New Member

Member:
    I'm still using the S5 active. The abuse this thing has taken is unreal. I used a pelican case for it until I broke the case about a month ago.

I went to upgrade to the s8 active but they didn't have a case for it so I didn't get it. I'll have to get a case and then go get the phone.

16. Aug 12, 2018 at 9:23 AM
    ARES

Member:
    God Bless America
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Cement
    I was paying $6 a month for the last 1 years which equated out to $144. I finally broke my s7 active and att claims upgraded me to the s8 active for $100 bucks. Its paid off so I think it was good insurance. I slapped a Amazon supcase on it and will see how long this one lasts. I do like it better then the s7

lionix[QUOTED] and OBXTundra like this.
  17. Aug 12, 2018 at 9:23 AM
    ARES

Member:
    God Bless America
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Cement
    Amazon sup case $10 and get the attachable front lens $7

OBXTundra likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top