1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I'd like a jetski. Help.

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by EmergencyMaximum, Aug 1, 2022.

1. Aug 1, 2022 at 10:16 AM
    EmergencyMaximum

EmergencyMaximum [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi gang. I'm new to watering. I'm interested in acquiring a jetski.

• Would like something in 2 person capacity
    • Naturally aspirated engine please
    • Don't need uber power, mainly for moving around on water.
    • Would prefer brand new
    • Around 15k price tag
    • Possible?
    • I'm new
    • Any realistic way to take dog with you on one?
    • SoCar upstate area.
    Thank you for your help, gang.

2. Aug 1, 2022 at 10:19 AM
    BravoDeltaRomeo

BravoDeltaRomeo Old Man Little Blue Finger

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    MB Canada
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tundra CM
    No help with the jetski purchase but I have been in a few, they are super fun and most are two person, depending on person size (front and back).

I see no way to bring a dog, unless small enough to strap to chest. But that would be ultra dangerous in a dismount or crash. Lots of Google people doing it, but I wouldn't with my dog.

If you do manage it somehow, please have a PFD on your dog. We use them in the canoe, as an injury in the middle of the lake after capsizing, would be a disastrous outcome for the dog if they didn't have one on.

EmergencyMaximum[OP] and RobertD like this.
  3. Aug 1, 2022 at 10:39 AM
    purplenova

purplenova Not a new member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax SR5
    Pillar Tape, Bullet Liner, 20% Tint, Tyger Star Armor Kenwood amp & AudioControl LC7i Tech12volts JL Tweeters
  4. Aug 1, 2022 at 10:50 AM
    hagrid

hagrid The most diverse of Diversity Hires!

Member:
    First Name:
    Spraynard
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    K1600GTL ZX-14R
    paynuss stretchers
    Most dogs can swim. Just tie the leash to the stern cleat.

5. Aug 1, 2022 at 12:16 PM
    EmergencyMaximum

Member:
    Thank you for all replies. Do you think it's a reasonable price for a new two seater in 15k range? Is it inflated due to economy at the moment? I haven't really looked into prices, so I have no idea what baseline for pricing is.

Also, does the price include trailer or is it something that you purchase separately?

Thank you, and re: dog, I just wanted to take him along in case traveling to an island. I know it might be cumbersome, but i figured if taking it easy, perhaps doable?

Any special maintenance quirks? I've never done anything like this before.

Thank you.

6. Aug 1, 2022 at 12:24 PM
    hagrid

hagrid The most diverse of Diversity Hires!

Member:
    First Name:
    Spraynard
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    K1600GTL ZX-14R
    paynuss stretchers
    If it gets below freezing where you store it dont forget to drain the jet drive and engine coolant passages.

The jetski... not the dog. Leave the dog's passages alone, plz.

7. Aug 1, 2022 at 12:40 PM
    knoxville36

knoxville36 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2024 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation w/3.0 Duramax
    Oh this is up my alley right here. Built them, raced them, everytjing in between. Yamaha is going to be your Toyota of the jet ski world. Overall as a whole, they are the most reliable. Ski-Doo is flashy, cool as hell, lots of bells and whistles. They are not as reliable, but some of their models are not bad. Especially if you stay away from their supercharged models.

Depending on how big you are, it can be crammed and pretty tight for 2 normal sized people on a 2-seater. I would look at the Yamaha FX Cruiser line first in the naturally aspirated version. It is quite large, extremely stable, and will run 60 all day long and still get there pretty quick. Probably the most stable and comfortable ski made today.

VX Cruiser from Yamaha would be a good fit also.

You will be in the $11-$15k range for those skis.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
  8. Aug 1, 2022 at 1:04 PM
    EmergencyMaximum

Member:
    @hagrid, thank you. I'll keep his passages flush free. I'm in SoCar(s.c.), it gets freezing sometimes in winter, so I'll keep that in mind.

@knoxville36, thank you, I'll look into those yamaha models!

hagrid likes this.
  9. Aug 1, 2022 at 1:24 PM
    knoxville36

knoxville36 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2024 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation w/3.0 Duramax
    Here is my 2015 FX Cruiser SHO I had. Mine was supercharged, and not much has changed over time. It will give you an idea of a large 3-seater. I could kick back with my feet up and set the cruise at 40 and smooth as silk. I would ride 90+ miles some days exploring East Tn lakes from one end to the other.

It will give you an idea of overall size. Unless it is you only riding, I would look at a 3-seater.

DSCN1190.jpg

10. Aug 1, 2022 at 1:59 PM
    EmergencyMaximum

Member:
    That looks an excellent size! Thank you for photo! It'll usually be 2 adults riding and a dog if I'm going to pick one up. I won't be needing extra "fun" power of supercharged model, since my main usage would be just to get to islands or just go on a regular cruise on water.

I checked out yamaha website for vx and fx series and there are also different models for each. From what I understand, they are all same size(dimensions) with different options and engine sizes? Website is a little clunky on mobile.

I tried looking up available dealers and there's one in Seneca, "performance something...", but they have a bunch of models marked as sold. I've noticed on yamaha.com there may be an option to purchase jetski directly and have her delivered home? I might be interested in such an option after locking in to a particular model.

I might take a drive to have a look in person when I get a chance.

11. Aug 1, 2022 at 2:15 PM
    Retired...finally

Retired...finally Utilizing that doctorate of procrastinatory arts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red SR5 Crewmax
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    Maybe go rent one for an hour or two just to see if it's something that appeals to you. You may very well love it but hate the way boaters treat you. It's sad that some idiots have given the waverunners a bad rap.

EmergencyMaximum[OP] likes this.
  12. Aug 1, 2022 at 3:12 PM
    glowblue

glowblue From time to time

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 —> 2021 F-250 XLT
    Just an FYI…my brother sells them in northern MI and they’re hard to come by. For example, every one they have coming in this year are sold, and the ones that do come in a lot are not complete (no chips!).

If you find one buy it or it will be gone. He sells them for well above MSRP so don’t be surprised. It may be different in your area however.

EmergencyMaximum[OP] likes this.
  13. Aug 9, 2022 at 1:02 PM
    EmergencyMaximum

Member:
    I went to the dealer today. Everything 2022 is already sold and they won't be getting any more of those. 2023 models will be announced in few weeks and deliveries will start in january.

There were few VX Yamaha's that I liked, both around 17k(sold already). 2k of that price is roughly price for aluminum trailer. Not too bad I guess, but seems maybe overpriced for what you get me thinks.

I did find one entertaining model that I liked, it's sort of a "jetski'ish-boat" for 47k, includes trailer. Really like for what it is. Wish it was a bit closer to 30k.

Anyways, considering how much time on water the watercraft will be getting, probably jetski will better suit me. I guess maybe I'll take another trip to the dealer when 2023 models are announced..

I still don't understand all this demand for everything toys! It feels like bread and milk!

Edit: Added onions.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022

Products Discussed in

To Top