1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Icon Stage 5

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Al92toyo, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Apr 17, 2018 at 6:29 AM
    Al92toyo

Al92toyo [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Tundra Crew Max Platinum 4x4
    I have a 2018 Platinum CM and I came across a shop locally that offers Icon suspension kits. Any opinions on the Icon Stage 5 Kit w/ Billet UCAs? I know it's pretty expensive for a 3" lift but the components seem pretty good. Just don't know enough about this stuff to make up my mind so any help is appreciated.

2. Apr 17, 2018 at 6:58 AM
    Danimal86

Danimal86 Looks clean even when its dirty!

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra SR5
    I'm no suspension guru, but if you are looking at that tier of lift......icon is a good choice!

maybe @KevinK or @boardude can chime in

boardude likes this.
  3. Apr 17, 2018 at 7:25 AM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    Alex, it all comes down to how you use your Tundra. That's a pricey upgrade if your just running around town or out. There's other options. Off- Road yes this set - up makes sense. Our suspension pro's will chime in @ some point. :thumbsup:

4. Apr 17, 2018 at 8:14 AM
    Al92toyo

Al92toyo [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Tundra Crew Max Platinum 4x4
    I agree. I'm mainly using the truck to tow my UTV trailer and it will drive over some dirt roads here and there but nothing too serious. My dilemma is that I know I can go with a cheap 3/1 level lift but with spacers I'm afraid of a crappy ride overall. I like the Icon idea because I get some nice coil-overs with reservoirs and UCAs to make sure I get good wheel travel if I need it. For that kind of money though I could almost do a 6" ProComp which will incorporate that front diff cradle that helps keep the front axles aligned thus giving me a longer life span there too. So many things to consider!!!!

5. Apr 17, 2018 at 8:36 AM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    Bilstein 6112's would foot the bill up front for sure with 5160 or 5100 in rear. Maybe airbags for towing. Trying not to be biased because that's my set- up,:D but took the advice from Dave @Toytec Lifts that suggested the 6112' S when it came to light off-roading , and ride comfort. I would definitely consider that set-up or any suspension lift vs spacer, especially with the towing. Toytec has everything you need and have great customer service. Great combo there:thumbsup:

joonbug likes this.
  6. Apr 17, 2018 at 11:02 AM
    itsdchz

itsdchz 50statesoverland

Member:
    Clovis, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM Cement 4x4
    Icon, UCAs, Method, SSO, KB VOODOO, Skids and Sliders
    I have the Icon Stage 3 with the Billet UCAs. I did not want to deal with the reservoirs. I have had experience with both Icon and Toytec. Both are great, but depends on your aspiring off road adventures. 6" Pro Comp is NOT a coilover lift, and changes a lot of what you can and cannot do. You are also limited to 20" rims or greater, and the ride will be much different. You have a lot of options, but a lot to consider, again, based solely on the type of off road adventures you plan to take...

7. Apr 17, 2018 at 11:22 AM
    alpinepro4

alpinepro4 What is your MPG Today!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Cement DC
    Baja Designs Squadron Sport Fog lights, ARE CX Series Topper, Alcan Springs , DAP Tune, Coach Builder +1 Shackles, Headlight Revolution Supernova V.4 LED bulbs, HR LED interior bulbs. General Grabber ATX 275/70/R18
    Just curious why didn't you want to deal with reservoirs? I would think it would make for better small and big bump compliant.

8. Apr 17, 2018 at 11:26 AM
    fisherman951

fisherman951 MT dreams

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 crewmax 4x4
    Alot of ppl are ditching icon nd going with ADS some of the ppl that changed can explain better

NickyF25, froggy78 and Sunnier like this.
  9. Apr 17, 2018 at 11:31 AM
    itsdchz

itsdchz 50statesoverland

Member:
    Clovis, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM Cement 4x4
    My perception of the reservoirs, in almost every brand, is the increased maintenance and possibility of failure. Being in the Toyota community for as long as I have, reservoir leaking stories have lead me to stay away. Doesn’t mean I think they are junk. Just not my cup of tea. I know many, many running them who never had an issue. To me though, I am not Baja 1000'ing it down the Baja coast, so I am fine with the Stage 3. I know others will tell you otherwise, as there is no right or wrong answer on this. Just things to consider, as the $$ goes way up from Stage 4 and up!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Jsena likes this.
  10. Apr 17, 2018 at 12:32 PM
    alpinepro4

alpinepro4 What is your MPG Today!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Cement DC
    Baja Designs Squadron Sport Fog lights, ARE CX Series Topper, Alcan Springs , DAP Tune, Coach Builder +1 Shackles, Headlight Revolution Supernova V.4 LED bulbs, HR LED interior bulbs. General Grabber ATX 275/70/R18
    I was thinking Icon or Fox when my suspension blows up. Could be awhile. I know a few other people who passed on Icon. Hear they are better desert suspension, not great for cold wet areas. Like to hear why people like ADS over Icon.

Jsena and froggy78 like this.
  11. Apr 17, 2018 at 12:59 PM
    Juanjoolio007

Juanjoolio007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Sky Platinum Crew Max
    Bed Rug, Tonneau cover, Window visors, Console organizer, Weather Tech's
    Those two kits are nowhere near the same. I have the 6” Pro comp currently. I do take my truck out in the dunes but not launching off dunes just out driving around to show the kids. If you are just DD and mild off-road the spacers MAY be ok for you. I have almost 25k miles and no problems. However, I know the risk of blowing out the bottom shock mount so I stay mellow in the truck in the sand and get crazy on my trx.
    Now I’m looking to upgrade to coilovers and piggybacks for the rear. If I go Icon with UCA it’s like 3,000-3,500.

Both kits will clear 35’s with trimming.
    Also you can run 18’s on the pro comp you don’t need 20’s or larger.

Moral of the story Buy Once Cry Once.

itsdchz likes this.
  12. Apr 17, 2018 at 1:10 PM
    itsdchz

itsdchz 50statesoverland

Member:
    Clovis, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM Cement 4x4
    My bad on the 20".

Not ALL 18" will fit, so beware (from 4WP installer)- but from Pro Comp:
    "18” OR LARGER WHEELS MUST BE USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH THIS LIFT KIT! THE STOCK WHEELS CANNOT BE REUSED."

Juanjoolio007[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Apr 17, 2018 at 1:24 PM
    boardude

boardude I am Batman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    [YODAGAN]
    2015 Inferno Ex-Pro
    Some good components in that kit. These have been around for awhile and these will be more than a nice upgrade. It all depends on what you want to do with the truck. The billet UCAs might be a little overkill so you could go with the tubulars to save some dough. Although some folks have had issues getting alignment to spec with the tubulars, but most of them are on the 3.0s.

I would consider swapping out the entire leaf pack rather than going with the expansion pack. Heard these tend to go flat after awhile. Maybe look at the Icon RXT pack or deavers. @blue16 and @14burrito I believe are both on the Icon expansion packs so they can weigh in on their experiences.

blue16 likes this.
  14. Apr 17, 2018 at 1:30 PM
    Juanjoolio007

Juanjoolio007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Sky Platinum Crew Max
    Bed Rug, Tonneau cover, Window visors, Console organizer, Weather Tech's
    No worries.
    I’m pretty sure that’s because you need to get enough back spacing like 5.5” if I remember right..could be more.

itsdchz[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Apr 17, 2018 at 4:41 PM
    14burrito

14burrito IG @14burrito

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4x4 5.7
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    If you go with the icon expansion pack and you've talked to icon ( depends on who you have talked to at Icon) make sure that you do not install the pack without the overload leaf. The pack will clap out very quickly and you will technically probably lose ride height. The expansion packs have to be installed with the overload leaf. From icon they will settle up to I believe a third of an inch if I remember correctly.

Icon was kind enough to warranty my expansion packs due to incorrect information I was given prior.

They rode well I like them out of the gate, I was pleased with them. I had them paired with some ADS shocks. As long as my new set doesn't clap out after a few months and they perform just like the other set of did out of the box I'll be happy with them, especially at the price point.

boardude[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Apr 17, 2018 at 9:09 PM
    blue16

blue16 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    Mesa AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 tundra
    I am happy with there ride and performance so far no issues with ride height and paired with icon 2.5 omega's in the rear the ride quality is way better then stock.

boardude[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Apr 17, 2018 at 9:27 PM
    GiantsFanDan

GiantsFanDan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2014 Silver Sky Tundra Ltd TRD OffRoad Dbl Cab
    Do you want it for looks and bigger tires? Go 5100's/6112's, ome, or toytec. Want looks and function go for Fox, Icon, ADS, or King. I had 5100's in my 2008 Tundra and they were great. Now I want to go have some fun with my 2014, so I'm going with ADS Mid Travel kit from MCM.

Products Discussed in

To Top