1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ICON’s for SURE!?!?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by evanc85, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Jan 24, 2020 at 5:45 PM
    evanc85

evanc85 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Greenville SC
    Long story short , I’m ditching my company ford and taking on my own tundra by then end of the year. I have the truck planned out but I’ve wanted a lifted truck since I can remember.

question: I plan on mostly paved roads but one weekend a Month or two I’d like to hit forest service roads and get through some mud and light rock hills. I want to make sure that im not spending too much on icon lift.

my plan is to get ICON’s with UCA’s but really questioning the rear leafs? I plan on maybe loading up weekend materials of 500lbs but wouldn’t the rear suspension be adjustable and I could ride with it very firm and be ok? Not going to be bombing hills at 40mph... likely not get over 25mph...

Any suggestions much appreciated

2. Jan 24, 2020 at 6:06 PM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Trd sways, bullydog, magnaflow, sumo springs
    Ive had icons on my truck for 10 years. They are quality, still work great and look fine.

Buuut they are pretty damn rough. They feel at speed, but very rough in slow stuff and on road.

If i could do it again, i would get accutuneoffroad valved shocks. They customize the valving beyond what fox or king does. Fox and king will be more easily tuned to your needs than icon

3. Jan 24, 2020 at 6:18 PM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    First thing, your shocks don’t bear weight exactly; your leaf springs do that. So even though it’s cool that Ikon offers clickable on-truck adjustments, that’s for ride quality for the type of driving/ terrain you’ll do at any given weekend. Upgrading leaf springs is the best way to handle extra weight. But... those of us who do what your describing— add significant weight occasionally, are see out leaf springs flatten out. If the weight will be occasional, I guess you could look into airbags.

A lot if really smart people have written all over this forum about the differences between Ikon and other coil over stock options. Let me know, after you read what you can find with basic searching, if you need pointing in a specific direction.

4. Jan 24, 2020 at 6:18 PM
    SprinterAE86

SprinterAE86 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Charlottetown, PE, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Sequoia Platinum
    Bilstein 5100 2.3/1.5, TRD sway bars ft/rr, Cooper Tires Discoverer AT3 XLT 295.70.18, Vision Manx 2 18x9 +12, APS side armor steps, TRD-Pro Grill and Bulge, de-chromed, blackout emblems, OEM mirror caps and flares, TRD shift knob, Leather wrapped steering wheel, All weather mats
    Also you can add Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs with Daystar Cradles to assist with the 500+ lbs you'll be carrying.

evanc85[OP] likes this.
  5. Jan 24, 2020 at 6:30 PM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
  6. Jan 24, 2020 at 6:49 PM
    evanc85

evanc85 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Greenville SC
    I do love some research, I’ll get through these threads, thank you sir!

Hbjeff and Sunnier like this.
  7. Jan 25, 2020 at 5:16 AM
    Stig

Stig New Member

Member:
    Probably fine to stick with what you have. 500 lbs is the same as two extra grown adult passengers and I see a lot of old Subarus driving the FS roads around you. Offroad parks or ohv trails are a different story though.

evanc85[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top