1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I just don’t think I can do it...

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by TomyTun, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Mar 17, 2019 at 7:15 AM
    TomyTun

TomyTun [OP] New Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road, Crewmax, 5.7L Non-FFV
    None
    Switching away to another truck/brand. My neighbors, close friends and family all have GM trucks and I catch crap all the time about my Tundra, which is fine. I made my decision 2.5 years ago after doing about five years or so of research on what truck to buy (that’s what happens when you can’t afford to buy a truck, you just read all about what you would buy if you could).

The GM diesels (even the 1/2 tons) are nice looking from the outside but I don’t get how people feel comfortable dropping the coin they do. I took a brief scroll on a GM forum this morning and just kept shaking my head and made me even more thankful I bought a Tundra.

I have no need for a larger truck at this point and feel if my needs stay in the 1/2 ton market, I’ve chosen the right tool for the job.

I see some comments about the Tundra being outdated in a lot of ways, specifically the power train department. But honestly, it’s one of the reasons I picked the Tundra. It’s a proven engine across other Toyota vehicles as well.

I dunno, I just think I’d have a hard time moving to another brand after this. And who knows, maybe I’m not being fair to the others. You can’t believe everything you read on the internet, right? But I’m not willing to risk the fancier options and tech with it coming out my own wallet.

Thank you Toyota. I love my 2016 SR5, CrewMax TRD with my outdated 5.7 and six speed. If you carry the same platform when I’m ready to buy again, I won’t hesistate.

I’ll close by saying, when I open the driver side door, my truck says Made in USA which I like.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  2. Mar 17, 2019 at 7:45 AM
    TomyTun

TomyTun [OP] New Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    None
    Yes, I agree 100%.

3. Mar 17, 2019 at 7:47 AM
    Law323

Law323 it’s only weird if you make it weird

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    Psh my family all have fords (on both sides) me and my brother in law are the only ones with a tundra.

Regardless of how many times they’ve had their recalls or had to buy a new ford because their turbo almost blew the engine up, and even though only one of my uncles has had no problems, I still get crap.

It’s all good, I always have ammo and the only time they had ammo is when I had to get my air injector valve problem taken care of.

Tundra is tried and true and won’t leave you hanging. Ford is a mixed bag. At leas you know you’ll get where you’re going!

4. Mar 17, 2019 at 8:02 AM
    TomyTun

TomyTun [OP] New Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    None
    Toyota keeps things simple. On the Ford, how many engine options do you have on an f150? It’s like 5-6 isn’t it? I feel like telling them, just pick one or two and make them right. I’d be curious to know out of all the Tundras sold each year, how many buyers are coming from another brand rather than repeat Toyota owner. That would be an interesting statistic.

5. Mar 17, 2019 at 8:07 AM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    That they do! I’ve always preferred reliability over shiny red ball syndrome. I just sit back and wait for them to call for a ride.

Funnily enough, that call has never happened, only because they KNOW I’d rub it in as bad (or worse) than they did when my tundra was in the shop for my AIP.

Black Wolf likes this.
  6. Mar 17, 2019 at 8:15 AM
    TomyTun

TomyTun [OP] New Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    None
    I get where some of the comments are coming from and can appreciate it, kind of. Back in the day, you bought a big three because you were buying American. Toyota is a Japanese brand, I get it. But times have changed. I know yo can get all tangled up in “made in” and “assembled in” but I like the fact my dollars are going to Texas where the truck is built. I believe engine and tranny are built in Alamaba? So to me, this is an American truck, right? It seems GM is bouncing back and forth from Mexico and Canada for their assembly. And maybe that’s more towards their half ton. I think f150 has consistently been produced in Kentucky or North Carolina?

Darkness and Law323[QUOTED] like this.
  7. Mar 17, 2019 at 8:16 AM
    TomyTun

TomyTun [OP] New Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    None
    My last comment here. Ha ha....this is probably something Toyota commissions their sales reps on and something Ford, GM and Ram reps get fired over.

Rica25 likes this.
  8. Mar 17, 2019 at 8:33 AM
    Darkness

Darkness Allergic to white

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    My brother is a Honda guy when it's about cars, but a Chevy guy when it's about trucks. He drives an 05 GMC that he bought the same year I bought my truck. He used to make remarks about his being a "real truck" and how his was more roomy inside.

Then one day when we were building a shed at his house, we needed sand and I knew where to get it out in the hills. We got into my truck and left, through the city and up a long grade, then through some bouncy fire roads to get sand. Ever since then he says he wished his truck drove like mine. Quicker, nimble and doesn't sway like a bathtub.

I think it's really easy just to knock the other brand until you try it. That said, I couldn't imagine going American unless I suddenly needed to tow tractors or something crazy.

Black Wolf likes this.
  9. Mar 17, 2019 at 8:38 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    But your bro does fix his towel bar like a Chevy...
    64D33EF0-0B1C-4A7D-8493-2C8678AAABD7.jpg

10. Mar 17, 2019 at 8:47 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Chevy clear coating too!!!
    upload_2019-3-17_9-47-25.jpgin-law spotted................

11. Mar 17, 2019 at 8:49 AM
    Aggieddad02

Aggieddad02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Walter
    Spring, TX
    Vehicle:
    2019 Limited CM TRD Off Road
    Let me offer you my story - Ford owner for the last 15 years, my last F150 XLT came loaded out including leather seats (I always order my vehicle directly from the factory). It was a 2014 the last year of the non-aluminum alloy body and I loved my truck even though it did not have onboard navigation. Fast forward to 2019 and it is time for a new truck, I went to my go-to Ford dealer to price a 2019 F150 Lariat and it comes in at $58,800.00, now I can afford to do it but in my mind was having a hard time justifying the cost. Had them build out a F150 XLT and it came to $52,400.00 without leather seats. I had been looking at Tundras for some time a interacting with one of their salesman that I have known. Told him that I wanted to price out a build on a Tundra Limited 4x4, well his cost beat out the F150 Lariat. BAM decision made :)

In the course of all of this I have a friend who was a long time F150 guy who bought a GMC 1500 - short of that story according to him it's the biggest mistake I ever made.

You and only you must make the right decision for you, but do your due diligence before making your final decision. Best of Luck

15whtrd, TomyTun[OP] and Black Wolf like this.
  12. Mar 17, 2019 at 8:51 AM
    MARanger

MARanger Lost in the woods

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Home of Friendly's Ice Cream
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White SR5 DC 4X4
    K&N Air Filter, Diamondback cover, Bumper Shells
    My work truck is a f150 with the ecoboost 3.5 and the 10 speed transmission, along with aluminum body. I hate the feel of this thing. Never feels like its in the right gear, and it just seems sluggish. Even worse is towing with it. I tow a small landscape mower with a zturn mower on it to maintain one of my satellite properties, and if i hit a bump i feel like the whole truck is being bounced across the street.
    It's also been to the shop with 3 recalls
    Tundra has the power i want when i need and and i don't feel my boat when towing, and it's double the weight of that trailer.

Black Wolf, 15whtrd and TomyTun[OP] like this.
  13. Mar 17, 2019 at 8:53 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    I hate when "they" say they drive a real truck......:rofl:

14. Mar 17, 2019 at 8:57 AM
    TomyTun

TomyTun [OP] New Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    None
    He’s a Honda guy and won’t drive a Ridgeline as a truck!!!? In my opinion, outside the ugly look, the newest version has a lot going for it.

ZappBrannigan likes this.
  15. Mar 17, 2019 at 8:58 AM
    Brownsfanhere

Brownsfanhere New Member

Member:
    2015 Crew Max
    I’m in a Tundra for the first time. Love it. Reason being had 2 Gm trucks since 2014. Both junk. Driveline issues and numerous other things. Never again. Toyota from here on out. Gm fan boy no more.

TomyTun[OP] and Darkness like this.
  16. Mar 17, 2019 at 9:00 AM
    Darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    :rofl:that was my brother in law. My brother would put the towels on the counter and wait for me to come by and fix it.

17. Mar 17, 2019 at 9:02 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Hopefully your B I L drives Toyota since he'd never have to attempt to"fix" it.

18. Mar 17, 2019 at 9:02 AM
    Darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    Nope. I agree the new Ridgeline is nice but he won't buy a new truck. That's where we do see eye to eye, we only buy used.

Black Wolf likes this.
  19. Mar 17, 2019 at 9:03 AM
    Darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    All over SoCal
    Vehicle:
    The darkest
    It's really dark
    He has an 03 IS300, it's a solid car. :cool:

Black Wolf[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Mar 17, 2019 at 9:07 AM
    Tundrablue

Tundrablue Winner, winner, chicken dinner

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue Pearl Tundra TRD
    Long time GM owner here came over to Toyota. Tundra for me, RAV4 for the wife. I’m just so sick and tired of have my vehicles in the shop for stupid things that break that should never happen. I also have repaired many things myself. I’m getting older and I’m just done with it.
    I can do without all the bells and whistles, what I wanted was reliability and I think that’s what I got in Toyota.

B737 and Brownsfanhere like this.
  21. Mar 17, 2019 at 9:10 AM
    TomyTun

TomyTun [OP] New Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    None
    Yup. Agreed. That’s why I bought my wife a Rav. She was looking hard at a used Chevy Cruz. I may have used my salesmanship skills to persuade her into smelling smoke in the Cruz to go with the Rav. Ha ha!

Tundrablue[QUOTED] and 15whtrd like this.
  22. Mar 17, 2019 at 9:18 AM
    TomyTun

TomyTun [OP] New Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    None
    And I’ll add, I showed her a quick sketch of what her car would be worth in three years down the road vs the Cruz, and even though we’re both public school kids, we could easily see the obvious choice.

Tundrablue and 15whtrd like this.
  23. Mar 17, 2019 at 9:21 AM
    CrewMaxT

CrewMaxT New Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2018 CrewMax SR5
    I’ve been an automotive tech for 13+ years and work on just about everything. I spend all day repairing other people’s vehicles and would rather not have to repair my own. Toyotas aren’t perfect but they’re generally one of the most reliable vehicles you can buy. I love the simplicity of the tundra, things like how I can adjust the HVAC and radio without navigating through screens. The 6spd trans and 5.7 are extremely stout.

TomyTun[OP] and 15whtrd like this.
  24. Mar 17, 2019 at 9:24 AM
    TomyTun

TomyTun [OP] New Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    None
    Amen on the anti-push button start.

25. Mar 17, 2019 at 9:28 AM
    ninjajay

ninjajay Posting from the toilet

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Spoolston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM 1794 TRD 4x4
    Toytec/Radflo Lift, Ambit RS02 18x9+0, Bridgestone Revo 3 295/70/18
    The 5.7 was pretty cutting edge when it came out for 2007, even the early years are solid in terms of reliability

26. Mar 17, 2019 at 9:38 AM
    TomyTun

TomyTun [OP] New Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    None
    I think there are some solid reports of the initial 4.6 V8 being a reliable truck when Tundras first came out in 2000-2001.

27. Mar 17, 2019 at 11:23 AM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Not sure about where the big three are made/assembled, but you’re right about the Tundra.
    Yes, it’s a Japanese brand, but so are most of the electronics in my house.

I don’t give two shits what others drive, I made my decision based on what I wanted to pay/get out of it.
    Technology is not on my priority list when it comes to my vehicle. Some doodads are nice to have like a backup camera, but if it interferes with performance and reliability, it’s out without a second thought. All of my vehicles before never had anything other than the basics and I never had a problem navigating or getting things done. Sure convenience is great, but too much of it can be a bad thing, in my opinion.

To each his own.

28. Mar 17, 2019 at 11:26 AM
    TomyTun

TomyTun [OP] New Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    None
    Yes, I agree. Technology is robbing us in more ways than just using your mirrors to backup rather than a camera. It remembers of my math teachers telling students how important it is to be able to do it “long-hand” rather than use a calculator.

Law323[QUOTED] likes this.
  29. Mar 17, 2019 at 11:48 AM
    art64

art64 New Member

Member:
    I cannot do it. Unless I have a need for a truck bigger than 1/2 ton, it will be a Tundra for me. This is my 3rd Tundra. 2006 V6 4x2, 2007 RCSB 4x2, 5.7L, 2010 Crewmax 4x4 5.7L with DAP and AFE drop-in filter. All of these trucks are reliable. With only water pump change on the 07 and 2010 and few recalls. Other than that, just change oil, gas it up and go. All are daily driven. The Crewmax 4x4 I bought used to replace the totaled RCSB. I actually love the Crewmax than the RCSB.
    Reliability. I'm planning on taking the Crewmax in an expedition or camping or overlanding in the future. 130k miles.

30. Mar 17, 2019 at 12:25 PM
    markg

markg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD
    Ok, ready for a long story?
    I needed something to haul products for my stores and bought a 2015 Nissan Quest van, Nice ride untill the CVT (transmission) started making noise at 45k miles. At about 59700 miles i figured I'd better have them check it before the 60k warranty went out. Sure enough, the transmission needed to be replaced.
    I'm thinking, hum, 45k brake job and trans replacement. This is not an option I,m willing to do.
    So, i went looking around and Toyota was really my first choice since the 1999 Toyota 4Runner I gave to my nephew was still going strong and NEVER been in the shop. But, I wanted something a little bigger, nicer, more comfortable and luxurious since I'm getting a little older so a 4Runner was a little small for me, the Sequoia was way to expensive and I just didn't know if I wanted a truck.
    I ended up getting a 2018 Nissan Armada, which I really do like, untill.
    I started to notice a very strange low frequency vibration noise resonating throughout the cabin (wha...wha...wha) at about 60 mph, and a high pitch whining from the drive train (not a wheel bearing because it is while on throttle) at above 50 MPH.
    The noise was unacceptable for a new car or even an old car. I took it in, Nissan said, yes we know about it but, it is normal. WTF??? I've been driving for over 47 years and so many different cars, I'm pretty sure I know what a car is not supposed to sound like.
    So, Nissan wanted to put me in a Titan and maybe help on the new car lose, (i doubt it) so i drove 2 Titans and one went in the shop immediately after my test drive, the whole truck wobbled and all sorts of anti lock break , anti skid, warning lights can on. Drove another on, same (but less) issues as the Armada.
    After reading some other forums, about the Titan, it seems like RENAULT (Nissan) (43% owner of Nissan now) has issues.
    After 2 weeks of BS from Nissan, another week of BS from the dealer trying to sell me the Titan and hours of research on the interweb, and 20 years of reliability of a 4Runner I bit the dust (at a great lose) and got the TUNDRA.
    I can, with confidence say, I made a very wise choice.

Told y'all it was a long story.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019

Products Discussed in

To Top