1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I inherited my dad's tools

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Netmonkey, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Jan 21, 2017 at 4:29 PM
    Netmonkey

Netmonkey [OP] Don't be a Dumbass

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Texas Edition, 5.7, CM, MGM
    Icon stage 2 lift, 295 60 20 nitto ridge grapplers, fuel kranks, TRD dual exhaust, TRD rear sway bar
    I lost my dad about 24 years ago and, when I moved out of the house, all his tools stayed there with my mom. a few years ago, my mom was cleaning out her garage and was trying to figure out what to do with all these tools. she was literally ready to give them away, but I happened to be talking to her right before she did and I was like, "NOOOOOOO!!!" so we made arrangements to have them shipped from CA to MA. since I was renting at the time and didn't have a proper garage, they all stayed in storage until my wife and I bought our house in TX. now that we have a garage, I have decided to go through everything to see what I have.

there were 4 toolboxes, a crate of miscellaneous tools, power tools, automotive ramps, and a bunch of other stuff (its 100's of pounds). i know that some of the tools date back to the 1950's and i know that he used some them when he was a teenager. i also remember him talking about a family car that they had and how he used to work on it when he was young. I went back through my ancestry stuff and found this picture. it's my dad at 6 years old in 1943 in Fallon, NV standing in front of the family car. I couldn't tell you anything about the car, however.

[​IMG]

I can only guess that the tools I posses now may be some of the same tools that he used to work on this car with. if it is true, then it would be cool :)

most everything is just standard stuff, but some of it I do not recognize. other things I do recognize, but are built and manufactured differently now... which just makes them cool. as I was going through everything, I was using a degreaser to get the decades of grease and grime off of them. so, here we go....

these are the 4 toolboxes that I got.

[​IMG]

and here are all the tools cleaned up and laid out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

in the tool boxes, there were some odds and ends of stuff. here are a couple of pocket knives and bottle openers.

[​IMG]

what are these? I looked up delco remy and they make heavy duty alternators and starters, but it seems weird to keep parts from one?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

parts to something.... I have no idea....

[​IMG]

my dad had so much stuff crammed into those boxes that I am sure he didn't what he had.... for example, he had 5 spark plug gap tools.

[​IMG]

however, a couple of these are pretty cool. this one has just about every thickness that you could want.

[​IMG]

I have never seen one like this. I assume the brush is for cleaning the plug? looking at it, it also seems like it may be missing some parts to it?

[​IMG]

he also had a bunch of other stuff. like a turn signal lever from a 1970's plymouth scamp, spark plugs from a 1960's car, distributer points and other stuff that is strange to keep.

here are all the sockets.

[​IMG]

now this is super cool. I have never heard of Thorson tools before, but I have a complete set of 1/2 drive sockets. these sockets are really heavy duty. if you hold a modern craftsman socket and one of these sockets in each hand, you can feel the difference in weight. I found some vintage tools websites and these may be 1950's-1960's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

there are also 2 extensions

[​IMG]

the wrench for the Thorson set has an old style lever for locking the direction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqMvnKe-gcA

now this is an oddity. I have never seen this before. it was in with the sockets so I can only guess that it is used for cleaning them?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this set is also unusual. it is a 1/2 inch and 1/4 inch allen drive socket set. all the pieces were scattered across the boxes but I was able to piece everything together. the red paint on this matches another tool that has a 1950 manufacturing date, so I am guessing that this too was from the 1950's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the Thorsen set also came with this sliding T bar. that's a lot of torque to put on a socket, but these could probably withstand a lot more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here are a bunch of chisels and punches. kind of cool to own now...

[​IMG]

what is this thing? it was with the T bar and sockets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

these were the only wooden handled tools. 1950's as well?

[​IMG]

some rasps and files. also good to have now.

[​IMG]

this is really cool. a pair of vise grips with the original box. this is probably from the 1970's, but look... it only cost $2.15 !! this is a great tool to have.

[​IMG]

bunch of plier-type tools. the red one does have a stamped 1950 manufacturing date on it.

[​IMG]

here are some box wrenches. these are clearly the newer ones.

[​IMG]

and here are the older box wrenches. the darker colored ones are really heavy and solid. you can feel the difference holding these compared to the newer wrenches.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

a plethora of screw drivers. seems overkill, but I guess he didn't know what he had :)

[​IMG]

wrenches. the 2 similar ones at the top are really old school. they use sprung pieces of metal to create tension on the wrench head. hell... they still work :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

is this a pipe cutter? seems like it would be... never used one. it does have that older tool look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do recognize this as a flaring set. I remember my dad making his own brake lines with this.

[​IMG]

these are clearly socket wrenches, but I am sure they have a specific name. the one on the bottom is much heavier and durable feeling.

[​IMG]

again, what is this? I have never seen a wrench like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and lastly, a gat gun. this thing is heavy duty. I used it when I was younger and it can pump some grease :) how old would you place this one?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am glad that I was able to get all these tools. there are many that i did not have and I will definitely make use of them.

thanks for looking :)

Ryan Mc., Achuop, chphilo and 16 others like this.
  2. Jan 21, 2017 at 4:41 PM
    Lowcountrytj

Lowcountrytj Buford T. Justice

Member:
    First Name:
    Phillip
    SE GA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra DC, SC
    Man that is cool! Awesome that you have them now and you got them cleaned up!
    The Delco/Remy parts in question are brushes.

3. Jan 21, 2017 at 4:45 PM
    joem1cha3l

joem1cha3l New Member

Member:
    Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    2016 Double Cab SR5 Blazing Blue Pearl
    BOSS Suspension, DB Customz Grill, 35's, Spyder, Tint, Color matched corners
    So awesome!!

4. Jan 21, 2017 at 4:49 PM
    TexasMofo

TexasMofo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Great Country of Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro
    Illegal Tint 2 Shims/ 3 inch Shacke
    Awesome Story. Thanks for sharing that.

5. Jan 21, 2017 at 4:52 PM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    The tool with the inner and outer brushes is for cleaning battery terminals.
    The set you have is similar to stuff in my shop. I started wrenching in the '70s, and because of the cost and my wages I bought lots at yard sales and swap meets.

6. Jan 21, 2017 at 4:57 PM
    Netmonkey

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    Icon stage 2 lift, 295 60 20 nitto ridge grapplers, fuel kranks, TRD dual exhaust, TRD rear sway bar
    ahh cool.... thanks for the info.

7. Jan 21, 2017 at 5:09 PM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    You are right about the pipe cutter, goes with making the flared tubing lines.
    The double ended socket tool is from a compact set or a chainsaw. It came originally with a small rod you passed through the holes to turn it. A phillips screw driver will also work.

8. Jan 21, 2017 at 5:09 PM
    Zharris

Zharris Merica!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Super White 4x4 Crewmax
    That's awesome stuff. Love finding old tools.

9. Jan 21, 2017 at 5:17 PM
    dragos28

dragos28 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dragos
    Vehicle:
    tundra
    nothing much
    Thats awesome! Glad you were able to keep them in the family.

10. Jan 21, 2017 at 5:18 PM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    Great family keepsake. IMO the most valuable item you have there is the pic of your dad. Sorry to hear you lost him.

11. Jan 21, 2017 at 5:20 PM
    Netmonkey

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    seriously! its the same way when I go through all my ancestry stuff.... if only I could get the stories about all the family pictures that I have.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  12. Jan 21, 2017 at 5:41 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Holy hell. I have some of those same tools!!! The wooden handle screwdrivers...I have those. Awesome.

The last tool you asked about, it is for adjusting the timing on a distributor, GM specific.

I'm pretty sure we now have the same brake line flaring kit. Still works fine.

The Leads you asked about: the copper looking ones are most starter contacts and the carbon looking ones are most likely brushes.

In your 6th picture down from the top, I am pretty sure we have the same Utility Knife. My dad recently gave me most of his tools from when he was a kid and it is the same color....not in the same condition though.

This is a really cool story. Thanks for sharing.

13. Jan 21, 2017 at 5:57 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    I love that old picture, what a great story! That kind of stuff is so meaningful.

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  14. Jan 21, 2017 at 7:40 PM
    tomsinamerica

tomsinamerica New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    White 2016 Tundra DC ltd
    old tools are my favorite.. i have a bad ebay habit according to my wife. When my dad passed away, I grabbed a bunch of his old hand tools that i remember using with him... looking forward to using them one day...

So i think you got answers on most of the questionable items, battery cleaner, pipe cutting tool etc... the wrench with two 90 degreeish angles in it is a distributor wrench i believe...

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  15. Jan 21, 2017 at 7:41 PM
    Nor7

Nor7 Chilton Manual Guy

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra Limited CM, 5.7L
    Very cool. I recognize the one with the holes that you asked about, I still see those around. its basically a deep socket wrench, fits over the nut and the holes are to stick a bar or screwdriver through to turn it.

16. Jan 21, 2017 at 7:42 PM
    tomsinamerica

tomsinamerica New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    White 2016 Tundra DC ltd
    no wait... you can misinterpret what i said... theres a picture with two tools in it, with 90 degree bends, you said one is sturdier than the other... they're speed handles for fast install/extraction of bolts... if you ever replace a cylinder head... these are epic - i have a vintage snap on one that i love...

the tool pictured after that is the distributor wrench

Netmonkey[OP] likes this.
  17. Jan 21, 2017 at 7:51 PM
    louscrw

louscrw all jacked up on Mt. Dew

Member:
    First Name:
    Lou
    Warner Robins, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2023 F150 Raptor
    This is such an awesome post and great story.

My dad passed away 8 months ago, and mom gave me a lot of his tools and only kept the ones she needed to accomplish small tasks. I have the tool boxes in my garage, just as they were given to me. I do not plan on opening them anytime soon. I hope to have a great story years down the road and to be able to pass them on.

dragos28 and NewImprovedRon like this.
  18. Jan 21, 2017 at 7:53 PM
    tomsinamerica

tomsinamerica New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    White 2016 Tundra DC ltd
    sorry bud... it sucks, i lost mine 18 months ago, still not sunk in yet... wondering when i'll be able to go through tools/photos/videos.. one day i'm sure

dragos28 likes this.
  19. Jan 21, 2017 at 8:10 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    great thread ! thanks for sharing.

20. Jan 21, 2017 at 8:34 PM
    CaptTyler

CaptTyler Life’s too short to have an ugly boat.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Ram 2500 Cummins
    Wow, thanks for taking the time to share! I bet they sure mean a lot to you.
    Some really neat tools there.

driverdog likes this.
  21. Jan 21, 2017 at 8:44 PM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    Thanks for sharing. I love old tools.

22. Jan 21, 2017 at 10:01 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Thanks for sharing.

23. Jan 21, 2017 at 10:35 PM
    MatthewPTguy

MatthewPTguy Not a new member

Member:
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 5.7 DC TRD MGM
    Borla dual cat back exhaust system, K&N replacement air filter, Headlight Revolution 40" Stealth LED light bar, Headlight Revolution LED fog light replacement bulbs, Line X bed liner, de-badge
    AWESOME thread... I have some of my Grandfathers tools... actually started woodworking with his Craftsmen radial arm saw.. I passed it on to another fellow woodworker once I bought my table saw... I still use many of his tools. I smile at the memories we had when I use his tools.

driverdog likes this.
  24. Jan 21, 2017 at 11:07 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are food, not friends!

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    Top - old school spark plug wrench, used with a bar though the holes - the rubber insert holds the spark plug by the insulator
    Yup, tubing / pipe cutter
    Yes, flaring tool - BUT, if you are flaring brake lines you need a double (or bubble) flaring tool with the double flare dies. Maybe you have them there, but if not, then you can't make safe brake lines with it. Just a heads up - you can google the difference in flaring types if you are interested.
    Nice pair of speeder handles.
    And a distributor wrench, as mentioned.

The starter and generator brushes, as well as spark plugs, condenser and points, etc, were all valuable items to keep in the toolbox back in the day, when component lifespans were short, and those items in the right hands were the difference between getting where you are going and back again, or not.

That's a decent collection, but I'd have to say the biggest value lies in who they came from, and I'd put the photo at the top of the heap for value.:thumbsup:

Netmonkey[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  25. Jan 22, 2017 at 6:17 AM
    PermaFrostTRD

PermaFrostTRD Tumescent Member

Member:
    Northern NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 CrewMax MGM Grocery Getter
    limited wannabe, suspension and tire improvements
    Very cool!

26. Jan 22, 2017 at 6:52 AM
    dragos28

dragos28 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dragos
    Vehicle:
    tundra
    nothing much
    i'm willing to bet that not one of those tools were made in china.

NewImprovedRon and driverdog like this.
  27. Jan 22, 2017 at 7:16 AM
    chphilo

chphilo Tundra addict

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tundra TRD 5.7 4x4 CM
    Sweet tools. Thanks for sharing. Love the pic of your dad.

Netmonkey[OP] likes this.
  28. Jan 22, 2017 at 8:53 AM
    Netmonkey

Member:
    Georgetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    Indeed. Infact, every single tool has "made in USA" stamped on it.

dragos28[QUOTED] and driverdog like this.
  29. Jan 22, 2017 at 9:03 AM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

TXRailRoadBandit73 YOTAS,RAILROADER,RÖKnRÖLLN',BEER,MAX/GEMMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
    What an awesome set of tools! Cherish them I'm sure you'll have great use for every single one of them! I can relate as well my dad passed about 2 yrs ago and I acquired a bunch of tools as well got em all cleaned up can't wait to use from plumbing welding carpentry electrical n mechanical tools

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  30. Jan 22, 2017 at 9:08 AM
    Ryan Mc.

Ryan Mc. New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Mission Viejo
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tundra SR5 Double Cab 5.7L
    Hand made bed divider, bed d-rings
    I. LOVE. TOOLS.