1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HVAC Issues

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by yup79, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Jul 18, 2017 at 11:32 AM
    yup79

yup79 [OP] New Member

Member:
    All, please forgive me if this has been discussed...but here it is...

The other day I was driving the 07 tundra truck with the AC on. Then the AC quit working and the AC light started flashing. I turned it on and off to no avail. So I went on about it and didn't bother it thinking it just needed to be recharged or something. A few days later I recharged it and it was working for about 1 minute and would only blow through the front vents no matter what mode I put it on...feet? nothing...defrost? nothing...only front vents...and the compressor isn't even kicking on.

Thoughts?

I have 120k on it, when the compressor is working it has a loud tick-tick-tick(etc) sound, the fuel sender unit is bad (I run out of gas around 80 miles till empty), side mirrors no longer operate, third brake light leaks like a fountain, and I just dropped $5K on rebuilding the transmission...this is a Toyota, at 120k it should just be breaking in not breaking down!

Thanks in advance

2. Jul 19, 2017 at 8:46 AM
    tomsinamerica

tomsinamerica New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    White 2016 Tundra DC ltd
    I've not experienced the front vent issue but I have encountered the flashing AC light on a Toyota 4R, not my Tundra.

The first thing I'd check is the pressures on High & low sides to make sure you've not over charged the system. Too much refrigerant is just as bad as not enough. The flashing light is a general AC issue and not specific to low charge... when mine went off, a $10 relay was the issue... after replacing that, everything was fine.

So... check the relays. After that, if the compressor's not coming on, check to see if it's getting signal to actually come on. If you have a pressure issue from too much or too little R-134A, the switch won't trigger the compressor clutch. If there's no 12V signal to activate the clutch, check with a manifold to make sure High & low side pressures are within range. IF a signal is going to the compressor and it's not coming on, it's a clutch or compressor issue. If your pressures are high, you likely over filled it... Low... you have a leak that you need to fix before recharging will do it any good.

Check the relays first... it's an awesome feeling when you fix an AC system within 2 minutes & $10.

equin, ColoradoTJ, Bob and 2 others like this.
  3. Jul 19, 2017 at 10:50 PM
    Bob

Bob Member Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma PreRunner Black
    Good advice

@yup79 let us know if/when you find the cause

T-Rex266 likes this.
  4. Jul 19, 2017 at 10:54 PM
    Eclipsed & Floating

Eclipsed & Floating Over it.........

Member:
    I’m right where I need to be
    Vehicle:
    Voluptuous Whitey
    @Joeshaker do you have any advice that hasn't been covered already?

5. Jul 20, 2017 at 6:53 PM
    Joeshaker

Joeshaker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Amado
    Evergreen, Co
    Vehicle:
    13 dcsb trd4x4
    Bilstein 6112/5160 trd sway bar and ride rite bags. Black and burnt orange wet okole seat covers.
    I've never really gotten into automotive A/C systems. There are a lot of differences between them and residential and commercial systems. A couple things that are the same is proper charge and clean filters and coils. @tomsinamerica's advice seems like a good place to start. Check the cabin filter and if it's even possible look at the evaporater coil to make sure it doesn't have a blanket of crap blocking airflow. If it's all nasty that could affect the pressures. I'm not sure but there could be a tripped pressure switch keeping the compressor from coming on. @LOTSOFTOYS may have some insight into what is going on.

6. Jul 20, 2017 at 7:57 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

LOTSOFTOYS Toyota Whisperer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Flashing a/c light could mean alot... I bet your compressor shelled. Been doing a/c work like crazy lately. Noise from a compressor is very very bad

tomsinamerica and Bob like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top