1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HP Tuner connection troubles

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Chad D., Apr 17, 2023.

1. Apr 17, 2023 at 7:00 PM
    Chad D.

Chad D. [OP] New Member

Member:
    Western Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 CrewMax Platinum
    I’m sure this is on my end, but I can’t figure this fucker out to save my life. Full disclosure, I’m nearly 50 and work WITH computers as a tool. I do not work ON computers and pretty much suck balls at figuring out problems beyond connecting to a printer…

I purchased a new MPVI3 through my local tuning shop. I know we could have used his, but I want to tool to tinker at home. I bought 4 credits for my Tundra. The tuning shop worked their magic on my truck with my MPVI3, my credits, and their dyno. All good, truck runs great.

How in the hell do I get it to work with my laptop at home???

I’ve downloaded (safe version) VCM Suite from HP website. I’ve ran an update on the software. I have my tune files from local shop on a thumb drive, and have copied them into the VCM Editor log.

I’ve tried connecting my MPVI3 but it won’t recognize it. Drivers…. Ok, I go to HP site for drivers. Can find MPVI2 drivers, and a group of others. Download
    MPVI2 driver in hope it’s the same. Fuck me, still doesn’t see it.

At this point, I’m stumped. I can fart around with the sample tube files in VCM Editor, but can’t do anything with the files I’ve paid dearly for. I’m looking to you guys for help! I can go back to the tune shop, and I’m sure they’ll help me, but this isn’t likely their problem to fix.

Once I do get it up and running, will it know that o have credits for my truck and work? I don’t feel screwed, only confused…. Didn’t realize it would be this challenging!

2. Apr 17, 2023 at 7:02 PM
    Chad D.

Chad D. [OP] New Member

Member:
    Western Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 CrewMax Platinum
    As a side note, the shop said they use Beta version. Sure looks like HP recommends the safe version. Is there a reason why a reputable shop would prefer Beta? Also, if they made my tune with Beta, can I make changes with Safe?

3. Apr 17, 2023 at 7:09 PM
    Chad D.

Chad D. [OP] New Member

Member:
    Western Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 CrewMax Platinum
  4. Apr 17, 2023 at 7:14 PM
    centex

centex New Member

Member:
    Are you connected to the internet while trying to connect to it? You need an active internet connection with the 18+ to do anything. Really freaking annoying.

5. Apr 17, 2023 at 7:26 PM
    Chad D.

Chad D. [OP] New Member

Member:
    Western Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 CrewMax Platinum

100% connected to internet. Sitting at my dining room table.

6. Apr 17, 2023 at 7:29 PM
    Chad D.

Chad D. [OP] New Member

Member:
    Western Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 CrewMax Platinum

We’re nowhere near the point of trying to connect the MPVI3 to the truck yet! Baby steps, gotta get it to work with the laptop first….

7. Apr 17, 2023 at 7:50 PM
    centex

centex New Member

Member:
    That’s why I asked if you were connected to the internet. Mine won’t connect to the device if I’m not on the net.

Have you asked the tune shop if they locked the tune?

8. Apr 17, 2023 at 8:03 PM
    Chad D.

Chad D. [OP] New Member

Member:
    Western Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 CrewMax Platinum

Back up a sec. I need the mpvi3 to connect to the computer before I can open a tune. It appears that there is a driver issue that prevents the latest dongle from working with Windows 7. May be a fix, but HP isn’t showing anything on their site.

But to answer your question, the tunes that I paid for are not supposed to be locked. Unfortunately, I can’t confirm till I get this damn thing to connect. Lol.

I do appreciate the troubleshooting though! Thank you

9. Apr 18, 2023 at 7:46 AM
    M3Tundra-JK

M3Tundra-JK New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2005 GX470
    Have you tried clicking on Help at the top, then Resync Interface?

Also Win7?!?!

10. Apr 18, 2023 at 7:52 AM
    Chad D.

Chad D. [OP] New Member

Member:
    Western Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 CrewMax Platinum

Yessir. That's the first thing I tried. It just sits there...

Yeah, Windows 7 Pro. It's my old work laptop. We cycle them out every 4 years, and I'm a few months away from the next replacement. Just looked at the tag on my current work machine. June 2019 is when I got it... I don't use one at home much, and don't feel like buying when I can just keep my old one. They wipe it back to a complete blank.

Next "old" machine is the Win10 I'm using at work today.

M3Tundra-JK[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Apr 18, 2023 at 8:10 AM
    M3Tundra-JK

M3Tundra-JK New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    2005 GX470
    Sorry to break from the topic, but that just seems even more crazy to me that it's a work laptop! I'm in IT

"Support for Windows 7 ended on January 14, 2020 and Windows 8 went out of support on January 12, 2016. Devices running either version of Windows no longer receive security updates."

12. Apr 18, 2023 at 8:32 AM
    Chad D.

Chad D. [OP] New Member

Member:
    Western Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 CrewMax Platinum

The Win7 machine was removed from official service in June, 2019. It is just a home computer now. Sees very little use, but is supposedly an appropriate platform for HP Tuners software.

Current work laptop is a 46 month old Win-10 machine. It will be replaced and wiped in a couple months. Will then be my “new” home machine.

M3Tundra-JK[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Apr 18, 2023 at 12:21 PM
    Chad D.

Chad D. [OP] New Member

Member:
    Western Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 CrewMax Platinum
    By God, I may be in business. Im able to open my tunes via my MPVI3 on my Win-10 machine.
    I’ll see if HP has a fix for the Win7 as well.

M3Tundra-JK likes this.
  14. Apr 19, 2023 at 9:14 PM
    Chad D.

Chad D. [OP] New Member

Member:
    Western Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 CrewMax Platinum
    Wrote this email to HP Tuners yesterday:

Hi there. Trying to get my old laptop to be usable with my new MPVI3, but having a hell of a time getting the computer to recognize the device. I have VCM Suite downloaded and that all appears fine. Plugging in the device does nothing (light o n MPVI3 does light up) and HELP>RESYNC INTERFACE doesn't do anything either. Reading on the HP Tuners forum, it sounds like Bill may have had a fix, but I can't find it. Can I get some help?

Thanks,
    Chad

And, received this response today:

Windows 7/8 has been posing a challenge installing the drivers for the 2+ and have developed new drivers. The .inf file attached are drivers we have created to work in Windows 7/8. Additionally, the signature requirement for drivers needs to be
    temporarily removed by following the instructions in the link below.https://download.support.xerox.com/...Driver_Signature_Enforcement-Win_8_8.1_10.pdfOnce the signature requirement is removed, the installation instructions attached can be followed.
    After the drivers are installed, there are power settings that need to be changed that are outlined in the Windows power document. After the settings are changed you would be all set. I would recommend performing a few datalogs and reads to ensure there are no intermittent connectivity issues prior to doing any writes.These instructions are solely for Windows 7/8 machines. If you have a Windows 10 PC, you would be able to use the standard driver installation wizard

Sincerely, James Edwards
    HP Tuners LLC
    www.hptuners.com
    M-F 9-5 CST

Haven’t tried to square it away yet, but I’m pretty happy with the response I got from them.

M3Tundra-JK likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top