1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HOWTO: Use the Toyota Parts system to find & order parts

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by shifty`, Sep 30, 2022.

1. Sep 30, 2022 at 8:20 AM
    shifty`

shifty` [OP] Our private little trip to hell

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    EDIT: May 2023 - Toyota has apparently stopped using PartSimple to fulfill their parts system. It's possible they've in-housed the service, I don't know.

All I can say is, the new system was garbage at first, and isn't much better today, and not all dealerships are participating at the same discount rates, but still the cheapest, safest way to get OEM parts because you can't trust scAmazon or fleaBay for legitimate parts these days. I still recommend using their system for parts ordering, but I'd encourage you to do parts# investigations at another site, then carry the part number back to the Toyota Parts site. I'm leaving the pictures etc. below because some of the info is still valuable, but I'd recommend using another website to drill-down for the correct part number, then bring that part number back to the Toyota Parts site. Info on part drill-down is here:
    • Visit this site: https://toyota-usa.epc-data.com/tundra/
    • Plug your full VIN# into the search box and click SEARCH; this should return parts only applicable to your vehicle's factory config (cab type, drivetrain, colors etc.)
    • Click on the parts grouping you want to investigate from the 4 options returned, i.e. 'Engine', 'Electrics', 'Body & Interior', 'Transmission' etc.
    • In most cases you'll be given some high-level exploded diagrams ("Schemes"). Scroll down to find the exploded schematic with your area of interest, and click on it; if there's only one schematic showing, skip to the next step.
    • In the final scheme you're reviewing, either (A) click on the reference number pointing at your part in the picture, noting that "RH" and "LH" refer to right-hand and left-hand parts, where applicable, or (B) click on the part description link to the right.
    • Review any notes or details on the final parts page, especially if there are multiple part numbers; for example, with interior parts, you may find color designations like "MD GRAY", "OAK", or "FAWN" for the part color. Use your brain, some may be in shorthand.
    • After you're confident you have the right part number, plug it into the https://parts.toyota.com system and check for local dealerships to see what the discounted pricing is, or just order it from McGeorge Toyota since they have some of the best online pricing nationally.
    • Pro tip: If you need a sanity check, sometimes searching the part number in Google Images, and even in fleaBay will give you visual confirmation of the part. It may help to search for (A) the part number in quotations, or (B) removing any dashes from the part number, or (C) a combo of both A&B.
    If all else fails, or the price just seems too goddamn high for your palate, check out McGeorge Toyota's online storefront. They have some of the deepest parts discounts nationally, but note: They have three separate storefronts! Two of those DO NOT use the new Toyota Parts system, and all three will give you different discount levels! Be sure to give them your VIN also so they can confirm your part is correct.

Whatever you do, and I cannot stress this enough: DO NOT trust scAmazon or fleaBay or WallyWorld's websites for legitimate OEM parts. They're breeding grounds for fraud/counterfeiting these days. This is especially true for hot-ticket smaller items like spark plugs, coil packs, and anything electronic.

Good luck, happy hunting, hope this thread saves you a few bucks.

[---- Original Post Follows ----]

Toyota changes the way the system works occasionally, so while this information may be outdated in a year, the birds-eye, fundamental overview of what I'm showing should remain mostly valid. Companies tweak their web stuff periodically but don't normally change the entire user experience very often.

Why should you use this? OEM is king, and Toyota incentivizes ordering parts through their Parts website. They'll give you anywhere from 5% - 90% off the full MSRP price you'll be asked to pay ordering directly at the parts counter.

Why would they do that? Who knows! Toyota's the only OEM that does this ... they just happen to be the only one I've seen who lets you order online for pickup at any participating dealership. Unfortunately, not every dealership participates, and the discounts each participating dealership offers is wildly variable. Be sure to check every nearby dealership's price before you add things to your cart in the system ... many will offer deeper discounts than others. Some near me give you 5% off one part, while another gives me 35% off. It's wild!

Anyway, here's the breakdown on how to parts hunt, or to get part numbers from Toyota's exploded diagrams:

First, point your web browser at https://parts.toyota.com

Plug your VIN into the search box:
    upload_2022-9-30_10-36-52.jpg

When the search returns, you'll see the box next to the search should have the make/model of your truck and all its options pre-populated correctly:
    upload_2022-9-30_10-38-0.jpg

The easiest thing to do from that point, honestly, is to click on the year of your vehicle, which is displayed on a "you are here" style directory path above everything else on the results page, which will bounce you out of the Search Products mode:
    upload_2022-9-30_10-37-11.jpg

Doing that should put you into 'Category' mode, where you can select your parts using the boxes. "Body and Interior" has all sheet metal and interior bits and is where 90% of all things people ask about on here are found.

upload_2022-9-30_10-38-49.jpg
    Once you click on a category, scroll down into the list of assemblies to find the one that's the most logical "bucket" for your specific part, then click on the popout box to open up the exploded diagrams for that part. Like, in this case, if I were hunting for the armrest switches, you'd click on the popout for Armrest & Visor next...

upload_2022-9-30_10-38-55.jpg

Now you'll find yourself in the exploded diagrams area. There's two important things to point out here. I'll number them here for sake of reference because they're critical to finding your part...

1. VIEW FULL SIZE: If your eyes suck like mine, this magnifies the size of the exploded diagram. First thing I click.
    2. VIEW MORE IMAGES: Some assembly sections have multiple exploded diagrams, like engine stuff may have a V6 exploded and a V8 exploded, or for interior parts, different exploded for regular cab, access cab, double cab. This is probably the biggest 'gotcha' in the system.
    3. PARTS LIST: Note the columns. Far-left column "#" corresponds to the numbers/letters shown in the exploded diagram (except for cases like bullet 5 in this list).
    4. PINK BOXES: These boxes are almost never aligned correctly and don't always work, but they're supposed to be next to a part/part#, and if you click them, it jumps you to the exact part in the parts list. Or it doesn't. It's hit or miss, check points 5 and 6 for how to manually find the part.
    5. ACTUAL PART NUMBER: Some items in the diagram are going to have the full-on Toyota part number listed instead of just a reference. This is common with bolts/fasteners and such. If the number shown in the exploded is more than 6-7 digits, or it's hyphenated, it's probably Toyota's actual part number. The shorter numbers/letters will virtually always be a reference to an item in the parts list.
    6. PARTS LIST REFERENCE NUMBER: I drew a line to the column showing where this part is referenced. Like, if I scrolled down in the parts list for this photo, you'd eventually find "74210" as a number, and that'd be your part. Again, remember that different clicking different exploded diagram images will show you different
    EDIT: Quick note to say, some items, like the two next to the number 6 in the diagram, have other info next to them in parenthesis, like the "(RH)" and "(LH)" you see which designates RIGHT HAND part or LEFT HAND part, depending on the side of the vehicle it's in. Sometimes other areas of the diagram may have designations like "DC", "AC", "RC" for the cab type the drawing or part pertains to. You may also see a number, which identifies the actual total quantity used, like, the diagram may show only one fastener attaching an oh-shit grab handle, but a "(2)" next to the actual part# in the diagram, there are actually 2 total fasteners required to install that part.

upload_2022-9-30_10-50-32.jpg

About the PARTS LIST ... It does give you a brief summary of the part, the UCK/VCK numbers which tell you what chassis the part fits, etc. (sometimes there's more than one variation of the part). But generally speaking, you can click on the "PART NUMBER" in the list and it takes you to in-depth info:

upload_2022-9-30_10-59-43.jpg

EDIT: Also important to mention, the QUANTITY (QTY) column tells you the total number required for a new installation. Like, if this were a valve cover bolt, you may see "11" in the QTY. It has nothing to do with the quantity that will be added to your cart in their system:
    upload_2022-9-30_13-5-48.jpg

And for the in-depth info ... here are the critical tips I'd pass along which may help you shop. IF EVER IN QUESTION ABOUT WHETHER IT'S THE RIGHT PART, CALL YOUR LOCAL DEALERSHIP TO CONFIRM! I'm empowering you with knowledge, but I'm not responsible for you ordering the wrong damn part. :D

upload_2022-9-30_11-12-22.jpg

Finally, after you click the "Shop Now" button for any dealership in the list on the parts detail page, you'll be shown the pickup price at that local dealership. As you see in the pic, each dealership may have a different price. Look at the picture above, note the MSRP price is $3.51 - that's what you'll pay if you go directly to the dealership parts counter, if not more. The Shop Now button will show you what the discounted parts price is for the dealership. In this case you save 26%, but I've seen as high as 60-70% off!:

upload_2022-9-30_11-18-6.jpg

That's really all there is to it. Once you've done this a couple of times, it's easy. It's a lot to digest at first, and there's really no reason you can't just call the dealership directly, ask the parts guy to look it up, then submit the order online. The only catch is, if they order the part using the number they pull up, you get a refund if it's wrong in most cases. If you order the part with their part number, they may not be so forgiving. :)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2023
    The Black Mamba, Neo, DJC94 and 14 others like this.
  2. Sep 30, 2022 at 9:04 AM
    RainMan_PNW

RainMan_PNW SSEM #82 RGBA #4 “That Guy” Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock TRD Pro CM
    Check the build link in my signature.
    Great write up, and good points on the “gotcha” bits - it certainly takes a little practice to interpret some of the diagrams and descriptions to be sure you’re getting the right parts, especially when looking to “upgrade” to higher trim level parts from what your truck may have come with stock.

This isn’t just applicable to Gen 1’s - might see about having it moved to the general section and stickied.

3. Sep 30, 2022 at 10:00 AM
    NetGnome

NetGnome New Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2003 RC V8 4wd, 2007 Sequoia V8 4wd
    Removed lots of rust.
    I also heard that if you add an 84 to the end of a part number you can find a rebuilt part, if they rebuild that one.
    You can also search with just the first part, before the hyphen, of the part number and get a list of similar parts .

4. Sep 30, 2022 at 11:00 AM
    Tundra2

Tundra2 Zoinked

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tundra V8 SR5 '03 Corolla Virus
    @ColoradoTJ can we get a sticky for this across all the generations forums?

ColoradoTJ likes this.
  5. Sep 30, 2022 at 11:11 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    Is a frogs butt watertight?

Hell yeah we can. Great suggestion and thanks @shifty` for the very useful information and illustration (guys like pics).

w666, Tundra2[QUOTED] and shifty`[OP] like this.
  6. Sep 30, 2022 at 12:30 PM
    Jack McCarthy

Jack McCarthy Truck repair enthusiast; Rust Aficionado

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    North of Boston
    Vehicle:
    02 Tundra AC SR5 V8 4x4
    Good info @shifty` i do the same as well. I just wish you could find every part in an exploded diagram.

A lot of the time I need to call the dealership or stop by and get a part number for a miscellaneous part I can’t find. I then go back to the parts site with part number in hand and whalla! it shows up.

Also in my neck of the woods I’ve only found one dealer within 50 miles that you can pick up the items.

Tundra2 and w666 like this.
  7. Sep 30, 2022 at 1:41 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    This is the frustrating part for a few other members too, especially if you need same-day pickup. But what I will say is, you can almost always get free shipping on orders over $75 using the coupon FREESHIP, as long as the cost of shipping is under $200 (so wouldn't apply to, like, an engine or anything freighted).

Dealerships in some states also don't charge tax. I've had luck with some dealerships in Alabama, no tax, free ship, you basically get things at-cost.

Jack McCarthy[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Oct 9, 2022 at 5:46 PM
    NickB_01TRD

NickB_01TRD You don't need less cars, just more driveway.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    KY
    Vehicle:
    01 Tundra V8 4X4 AC SR5 TRD
    I missed this thread somehow. This is super helpful. Thanks for the write up @shifty`.

Same here

9. Oct 10, 2022 at 4:05 AM
    NetGnome

NetGnome New Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2003 RC V8 4wd, 2007 Sequoia V8 4wd
    Removed lots of rust.
    For good exploded parts diagrams I use partsouq.com.
    They have good prices and shipping is good considering it is coming from the UAE.

10. Oct 10, 2022 at 4:39 AM
    Bakershack

Bakershack Critical of Noncritical Thinkers

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
    Thanks @shifty`! This is invaluable!

ALMDawgfan likes this.
  11. Mar 16, 2023 at 1:33 PM
    w666

w666 D. None of the above

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    04 Access Cab SR5 V8 4WD
    None yet
    Hi Shifty,

Can you help me ID this part? I've tried and tried, but maybe I'm overlooking the obvious. It's a rubber bumper for my hood. This picture shows it intact (pass. side).

Part.jpg

This pick shows where it's missing.

parta.jpg

My thanks in advance!

12. Mar 16, 2023 at 1:51 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    That was an odd one. See here, tell me if you agree:

From: https://parts.toyota.com/a/Toyota_2...0_6711366/HOOD--FRONT-FENDER/841420-5353.html

I think it's this part here, where 5533B translates to 533880C010 (note there's another fastener part next to it, full part number in the diagram):

upload_2023-3-16_16-40-37.jpg

w666[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Mar 16, 2023 at 1:58 PM
    BubbaW

BubbaW Been Real

Member:
    First Name:
    Bubba
    Where Eagles Nest
    Vehicle:
    04 DC LTD 4X4 4.7 V8
    T150 Lover
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
  14. Mar 16, 2023 at 2:03 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    OOooohhh the saga continues.

Weird I didn't see the driver side in the diagram, so assumed it was same for both sides. Which is even more weird because they clearly designate RH/LH on the trim part it attaches to just below it.

EDIT: Toyota Parts system shows it's the same p/n on both sides ... Which is right? LOL

upload_2023-3-16_17-3-13.jpg

15. Mar 16, 2023 at 2:07 PM
    BubbaW

BubbaW Been Real

Member:
    First Name:
    Bubba
    Where Eagles Nest
    Vehicle:
    04 DC LTD 4X4 4.7 V8
    T150 Lover
    I've been using the below sometimes, they after somewhat better details/pictures sometimes but combined they all do good. In any case supposedly both sides are same part #
    Helps to know ones Model Code

Search results | Toyota Parts Catalogs | PartSouq

w666 likes this.
  16. Mar 16, 2023 at 2:38 PM
    e30cabrio

e30cabrio I'm e30cabrio, I'm a modaholic

Member:
    West Valley, Phoenix, Az.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Crewmax, 2013 Sequoia Limited
    Sequoia LED Headlights! D.T. L.T. headers, dual exh., BDX, S&B intake, 2018 seat skins.
    Great write up, I hate searching for parts, wtf with the cave paintings they use?????

Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
    bulldog93, FrenchToasty and w666 like this.
  17. Mar 16, 2023 at 3:21 PM
    w666

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    04 Access Cab SR5 V8 4WD
    None yet
    It is an odd one indeed! That's why I reached out. I'm missing the driver side, but of course I'll renew both sides (the remaining cushion is as hard as rock). Thanks.

18. Mar 16, 2023 at 3:23 PM
    w666

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    04 Access Cab SR5 V8 4WD
    None yet
    BubbaW[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Mar 16, 2023 at 3:25 PM
    w666

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    04 Access Cab SR5 V8 4WD
    None yet
    UCK40L ARSSKA

I've tried using this one, but sometimes get weird results. Maybe I'll blow away my browser cache and try again.

BubbaW[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Mar 16, 2023 at 6:27 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Nah, it was coughing up some weird stuff on this one. I've used the Partsouq one before, it's really killer if you need more in-depth info. But I feel like the official Toyota system tends to pigeonhole you/lock you into your specific model a bit better. Each has its own purpose.

21. Mar 18, 2023 at 8:07 AM
    w666

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    04 Access Cab SR5 V8 4WD
    None yet
    Well, who knew? Now that I've ordered the new bumpers, I removed the old one to see how it attached,
    et voila!

IMG_4380.jpg

bulldog93 and BubbaW like this.
  22. Mar 18, 2023 at 9:36 PM
    scooterprint

scooterprint Idiot with a wrench

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Conway, AR
    Vehicle:
    ‘04 DC 4x4
    Bone stock
    Side note I thought was worth mentioning... If you can get the first 5 digits of a part number and you provide your tundra's VIN, you can call a local dealership and they can pull up the correct part based on the part precession. For example, a 17801-xxxxx is going to be an engine air filter, an 00544-xxxxx would be a battery, and an 85212-xxxxx would be a wiper blade.

shifty`[OP] and bulldog93 like this.
  23. May 1, 2023 at 10:28 AM
    MechEng13

MechEng13 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra SR5 4WD
    FYI, I'm getting redirected from parts.toyota.com to autoparts.toyota.com and it's a new system. I'm hoping that they turned the new site on before it was fully functional, because otherwise this site is not functional. I'm trying to find the schematics to grab some part numbers, but it's not happening.

Are these diagrams available anywhere else? I looked in the factory service manual that I downloaded, but it does not have part numbers for hardware.

24. May 1, 2023 at 10:38 AM
    scooterprint

scooterprint Idiot with a wrench

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Conway, AR
    Vehicle:
    ‘04 DC 4x4
    Bone stock
    Most hardware part numbers have likely been superseded by new part numbers. Only way to verify is to look at an updated parts catalog.

25. May 1, 2023 at 11:02 AM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    With the new system, it's a bit glitchy. The old system was active up 'til Saturday, I know for sure.

Anyways with the new system, I almost got there:

Scroll to the middle of the 1st page, and input your VIN where prompted.

That takes you to this page, where, if you click on PARTS (see pic here), you get the old breakdown, but it's in an unsorted list of parts, and clicking on that part gives you an exploded, just not the old ones we're used to.

We'll just need to wait for them to fix it, or I'll need to dig and re-write this article. It's not clear to me if this new system is still using the old PartSimple back-end the original parts.toyota.com was using, but clearly the front-end is different, and unusuable. Hopefully Toyota USA is getting lots of complaints ... because this is BAD. I will say though, the parts diagrams shown on the individual parts pages are waaay clearer (check this out)

upload_2023-5-1_14-1-42.jpg

26. Jun 14, 2023 at 7:59 AM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Updated the 1st reply to include an alternate way to hunt through exploded diagrams. Hope it helps.

27. Feb 27, 2024 at 8:28 AM
    Schcoman

Schcoman From behind the Redwood Curtain

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Humboldt Co. CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Access Cab 4.7L V8 4x4 SR5
    None
    Thanks, Shifty. Searching for my accessory drive belt tensioner was impossible on the Toyota site, went to McGeorge and found it fast. Once I had the part#, I could find it on the Toyota site. Not a fan of that Toyota site! Great info here, appreciate it.

Products Discussed in

To Top