1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How much coolant loss is normal?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by awhendricks, May 17, 2019.

1. May 17, 2019 at 8:45 PM
    awhendricks

awhendricks [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Limited 4x4
    Has anyone else had to top off their coolant reservoir? I’ve got a 2017 Tundra and after 31,000 miles, I noticed the coolant level was a little below the low mark in the overflow reservoir. I topped off the overflow reservoir to the full level (a little less than 1 quart), and I even had the dealership check the water pump for any leaks, and no leaks were found. I’ve had no coolant leaks, the oil level and appearance has always been perfect, and the radiator was still filled to the top. I can only assume some heated coolant evaporates out of the overflow tank overtime. Embarrassingly, I can’t confirm what the exact starting level was, but I have a good starting point now. Just checking to see what everyone else’s experiences have been.

2. May 18, 2019 at 2:53 AM
    Blkdmax

Blkdmax New Member

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement CrewMax 4x4
    I went though the same thing when I got my tundra. I learned that the coolant level fluctuates alot with the outside temps and engine temps. Even though my level fluctuates it never actually loses any.

15whtrd and Racingjohndeere55 like this.
  3. May 18, 2019 at 5:05 AM
    ProtoJ

ProtoJ New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Crewmax TRD Off-Road
    I’ve had to do this on all 3 of my Toyota’s.....all 3 the level drops eventually without a leak and I add some. Evaporation? Honestly I don’t know why.....but my coolant temps always seem fine.

4. May 18, 2019 at 5:08 AM
    TRD Pro Rookie

TRD Pro Rookie New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    D/FW
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Pro
    Nothing major
  5. May 18, 2019 at 5:19 AM
    Racingjohndeere55

Racingjohndeere55 New Member

Member:
    2011, same thing. Check it one day in the 40's its lower in the top off tank. Check it in the 70's it's at the full level.

6. May 18, 2019 at 5:41 AM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    This ^^^^.

When you drive on hot Texas days, in traffic, with the AC keeping you cool, the load on the cooling system increases. With the additional heat load, coolant expands into the overflow tank (that is what it's for). When you shut the engine off, there is still hot coolant in the overflow tank. As the engine cools, the coolant excess is drawn back into the cooling system, but during that cool down, a very slight amount of water will be evaporated from the overflow tank. Over time it adds up. The lower the relative humidity, the faster that evaporation occurs.

Occasionally, a breath of dry air will blow up to Austin, Texas from Mexico, and you lose a little coolant water. Not a problem, just add a little distilled water to replace. :D

MistrRoboto, 15whtrd and Trooper2 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top