1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How Hard is It to Remove Headliner?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by mistert, Feb 1, 2023.

1. Feb 1, 2023 at 12:59 PM
    mistert

mistert [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TSS Offroad
    Rack with LED lights, carbon fiber wrap, bumper with winch, rear bumper, lift, and Moto Metal tires.
    I have a Fab Four roof/light rack that is rattling bad where it is mounted at one post and may need to remove the headliner to get to the issue and was thinking of sound deadening the roof. The roof flexes slightly at the back passenger mount causing a loud metallic tapping noise when I hit bumps, sometimes even small bumps.

Are there any how to remove headliner tutorials? How hard is it to remove and put back?

2. Feb 1, 2023 at 1:05 PM
    Taco-Spike

Taco-Spike Gateway from Tacoma World ~ ended up here

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB / 17 Tundra 5.7L 4X4 CM
    Two Trucks
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  3. Feb 1, 2023 at 4:33 PM
    Rocko9999

Rocko9999 New Member

Member:
    Do you need to drop it or remove it from the cab?

4. Feb 1, 2023 at 5:03 PM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    @Ericbike6 did his. Maybe he can offer some assistance or tips.

5. Feb 2, 2023 at 4:18 AM
    mistert

mistert [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TSS Offroad
    Rack with LED lights, carbon fiber wrap, bumper with winch, rear bumper, lift, and Moto Metal tires.
    The main issue is the rear passenger side mount. The rack is mounted but the roof “flexes” a bit causing a metallic tapping noise when hitting bumps or grooves on the road. It is pretty loud inside the cab of the truck. I wonder if the crush it that the bolt is screwed into is tapping against one of the cross beams under the headliner.

6. Feb 4, 2023 at 8:37 AM
    El Two

El Two I’m only talking to my dog today.

Member:
    First Name:
    Lisa
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Crewmax TRD Off Road
    How much time do you have? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .......... Eaton rear eLocker, Camburg 1.5” shackles, Rear Seat Delete, S&B CAI, sPOD, Air Bag Helpers w/ Daystar Cradles, RCI engine & fuel tank skid plates, ABS Guards, Job Box Storage, Tailgate Power Lock, Desert Eagle Offroad tranny/cat security skid plate, Added Driver’s Side Grab Handle, VLEDS Footwell & Step Lighting, Anytime Front Camera, Illuminated Ignition Ring, Console Molle Panel, Sound Dampening in Ceiling/Doors/Floor, Yakima Rack, Paracord Grab Handle Wraps, BD Underhood Light, Tuffy Console Safe Insert, WeBoost System, Midland GMRS Radio, Console Interior Lighting, Power Inverter, Custom Center Switch Panel, and Dual Air Compressors
    I added sound dampening and 1/4” insulation a couple of years ago to the ceiling of my ‘18 Crewmax. Notes, pics, and links to more details can be found at post #16 on my build thread at https://www.tundras.com/threads/el-two’s-‘18-cm-trd-off-road-build.82645/.
    I added sound dampening and 1/4” insulation a couple of years ago to the ceiling of my ‘18 Crewmax. Notes, pics, and links to more details can be found at post #16 on the build thread at https://www.tundras.com/threads/el-two’s-‘18-cm-trd-off-road-build.82645/. Two important notes about working in the ceiling - disconnect the battery so the air bags don’t accidentally deploy and be extra careful working around the airbags so they don’t get nicked/damaged.

texasrho83 likes this.
  7. Feb 4, 2023 at 9:06 AM
    Caveman

Caveman New Member

Member:
    It’s not too bad. When I installed my prinsu rack I removed the headliner to make sure zero metal shavings rested on or by my airbags. Nothing sounds worse then dropping tons of metal shaving on a cloth bag that will deploy at my or my kiddo’s face at superfast speed. Shrapnel bags? Anyway.

The hardest part was removing the grab handles above the doors. The dam clips for the trim on the handles kicked my ass and I did scratch a few but luckily you can’t see it unless the handle is pulled down and you look up, which no one will ever do.

You will have to slide the headliner out the back window into the bed. So if you have a canopy you might need to remove that as well.

Overall not too bad just a couple little annoying parts, specially the dam grab handles. I will say it was totally worth it. There were so many dam drill shaving on my airbags!

oh also make sure to add sound deadening while you’re at it, why not. just make sure its the kind that won’t fall off or release a nasty odor if the sun beats on your roof.

panicman likes this.
  8. Feb 4, 2023 at 9:20 AM
    texasrho83

texasrho83 DGAF#1

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Conroe TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC MGM 4x4
    See build link
    The Crewmax is ideal for this sorta thing - especially for removal.

Wear gloves so you don't get it dirty but should you, Adam's Upholstery cleaner is excellent for taking stuff outta the headliner and seats (even water stains).

9. Feb 4, 2023 at 11:33 AM
    mistert

mistert [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TSS Offroad
    I have a double cab. I might just go for it and do the sound deadening for the roof. I can’t upload a video of the noise it’s making, but it’s coming from the rear passenger side mount. I loosened all the screw and then tightened them. I placed a double adhesive tape under that particular mount and added shims. The tapping noise is less pronounced but think it is coming from the crushnut that the screw is going through. I thought the tip of the screw was hitting a cross beam but after removing it and pushing a small screw driver through the hole, it seems like it hits the inside of the head liner. All mounts are secure but there is a little flexion because of how thin the roof is. The rack doesn’t mount to where the “gutter” is like most mounts. I posted a pic of the Fab Four roof rack. I had even had to mount a few universal bump stops in some areas to keep the rack from flexing so much.

7B1A2234-D9C8-46AB-9A3A-B61B405A0002.jpg

10. Feb 4, 2023 at 3:01 PM
    mistert

mistert [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TSS Offroad
    Pics with bump stops

87803334-D732-4A5D-B5DE-1FE66EAB6CAE.jpg

11. Feb 4, 2023 at 3:01 PM
    mistert

mistert [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TSS Offroad
    1 more

040BAB28-818A-475D-A4E9-1D0788D5ACD8.jpg

12. Feb 7, 2023 at 6:00 AM
    mistert

mistert [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TSS Offroad
    The rattle stopped. If anyone encounters this issue, I loosened all the blots to the rack and tightened all of them again. I had some flexing, so I used some polyurethane universal bump stops in some of the locations. I read where plastic shims can be used depending on your application. Now I have zero rattles. I do have wind noise which is normal for racks. I may sound deaden the roof. As for now I just have it on all 4 of my doors. I am curious about how much it would reduce it on the roof to weigh the pros of cost, time, and curse words vs not doing it. :)

13. Aug 4, 2023 at 7:30 AM
    Tbrandt

Tbrandt I read it on an internet forum, it must be true.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tristan
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 DC TRD Off-Road
    Kenwood DMX907S + Maestro iDatalink RR2 Kenwood DRV-N520 dash cam Kicker Door Speakers TRD rear sway bar Firestone airbags + Daystar cradles Setrab oil cooler, OEM thermostat and hard lines Century High-C topper Bedrug Helmholtz resonator on stock exhaust Sound deadened + insulated cab Platinum 20s, hwy tires Viair 400P
    Did you ever end up dropping the headliner? I'm considering sound deadening/insulating the roof on my double cab too, it's the only area I haven't got to yet. I'm wondering if the double cab headliner can come out through the front doors if the seats and console are removed.

14. Aug 4, 2023 at 8:56 AM
    Grendel

Grendel New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand TRD PRO

When I sound proofed mine the first time I used second skin spectrum (paint on). I just put the seats as flat as possible and dropped the headliner on top of them and didn't remove, put plastic sheeting over it for and drops. The second time when I added my Prinsu rack and thermal insulation (jute sheets) I did the same. Dropping the headliner was easy, putting it back up was tedious and would have been better if I had an assistant. I put the seats up and rested it on them to get it back in. For me it was easier than trying to figure out how to get it out of the doors.

Tbrandt[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Aug 4, 2023 at 9:11 AM
    Tbrandt

Tbrandt I read it on an internet forum, it must be true.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tristan
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 DC TRD Off-Road
    Kenwood DMX907S + Maestro iDatalink RR2 Kenwood DRV-N520 dash cam Kicker Door Speakers TRD rear sway bar Firestone airbags + Daystar cradles Setrab oil cooler, OEM thermostat and hard lines Century High-C topper Bedrug Helmholtz resonator on stock exhaust Sound deadened + insulated cab Platinum 20s, hwy tires Viair 400P
    That's what I figured on doing. Just thinking of the possibility of accidentally creasing it while I'm working over it when it's laying across the seats, but I may do more damage to it getting it out of the truck anyway.

Products Discussed in

To Top