1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How can i use this switch?

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by 04DCTundraMan, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Jun 22, 2020 at 12:36 PM
    04DCTundraMan

04DCTundraMan [OP] Crimedog McGriff

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2004 Salsa Red Tundra Limited DC
    Sony Head Unit, Pioneer Speakers, Back up camera, Blacked out Emblems, SPC Control Arms, OME 2.5" front lift, 1.5" rear spacer, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, LineX bedliner
    I want to add some additional lighting to my truck, but dont want to add any aftermarket buttons if i dont have to. if i do im thinking switch panel in the center consol, out of sight.

I was thinking i could tap into a set of lights already in use, but then was wondering if maybe i could use one of the blanks in my dash. One of the ones im thinking is the blank below, i think it would normally be a 4WD button? for me it does nothing and says tundra on it. I want to make this button work again...anyone done that, for anything? Doesnt have to be a light.

I have another by the mirror adjustment buttons i was thinking i could do the same thing with, but would really like to bring this blank to life.

Also having a hard time finding what would normally go here to buy to try this idea. was going to ask the dealership when i go in next.

button.jpg

2. Jun 23, 2020 at 6:20 AM
    chester

chester best member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Double Cab SR5
    On my truck, that switch says "SWITCH L". It puts the transmission in 1st gear.

3. Jun 23, 2020 at 6:39 AM
    noahrexion

noahrexion New Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2005 4WD DC
    Yes, that is for the 5 speed AT in the 05/06 Tundras.

You could always drill that blank out and add a switch OR buy an OEM "shift L" switch and use that too. What sort of AUX light setup do you have to run?

4. Jun 23, 2020 at 7:06 AM
    jcrob33

jcrob33 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    2004 Toyota Tundra DC // 295k+
    Would be super cool to get a switch there that looked factory. Wonder if I can get a replacement cargo light switch and convert it? hum.

5. Jun 23, 2020 at 7:47 AM
    04DCTundraMan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    Sony Head Unit, Pioneer Speakers, Back up camera, Blacked out Emblems, SPC Control Arms, OME 2.5" front lift, 1.5" rear spacer, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, LineX bedliner
    Ok interesting. I’ll try and find that if I can’t figure out how to use it. Thanks!

6. Jun 23, 2020 at 7:49 AM
    04DCTundraMan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    Yea I like the idea of trying to drill out and use it. Not sure how to “make” a button, but I’ll do some research.

I don’t have a light yet, more so planning how to hook it all up before buying. I have a Bull bar so I was thinking about an off road light or something, but didn’t want to wire it into my headlights. Was planning on getting a bright one for when we go camping so I don’t want to blind people.

7. Jun 23, 2020 at 7:50 AM
    04DCTundraMan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    Yea I was going to run led bed lights and try and tap into the cargo light so when I turn it on they all come on. Was thinking I could use that button for the other lights, but light be weird to have my cargo light on if I’m driving down a camp trail....but I guess who cares. Just think it would be sweet to have the blanks in my truck working.

8. Jun 23, 2020 at 10:34 AM
    bmf4069

bmf4069 Yup, that's car parts in a dishwasher

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    02 AC sr5 4wd v8

There's quite a selection of random buttons and switches you can get that would fit in there. You just gotta get the right drill bit size. I think mine says cargo light so maybe you could hunt around and find that one.

9. Jun 23, 2020 at 10:57 AM
    04DCTundraMan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    yea that's what ive been trying to find, but the 2 oval buttons are connected on my truck, not independent. So i need a hazard light on bottom with a different button on top.

Thinking this side may be a better option. The RSCA Off button is a blank on my truck. if i could do that one, it's independent of the other lights. Just need to figure out how to rewire it.
    Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 1.56.34 PM.jpg

10. Jun 23, 2020 at 11:01 AM
    bmf4069

bmf4069 Yup, that's car parts in a dishwasher

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    02 AC sr5 4wd v8
    04DCTundraMan[OP] likes this.
  11. Jun 23, 2020 at 11:33 AM
    robabeatle

robabeatle New Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra 4x4 LTD AC
    Bilstein 6112 & 5160, Katskinz, audio upgrades
    Yeah, I just pushed out the blank on my 2002 and put in a rocker switch from here:

https://www.keepitcleanwiring.com/catalog/Switches/Toggle-and-Rocker-Switches

(SW17R for the red) It just slides in and holds due to friction/expanding clips, very nice! No drilling needed and can be removed and replaced by the blank again easily.

The switch has three contacts. I suggest using a DMM to test. I ran a continuity test to see which two were connected when the button was in the "on" position and the other contact (which is a gold color as opposed to silver) was the ground, which will allow the light on the switch to work when it is all connected. I wired the switch to a fuse in the box to the left of the brake pedal and the other side to my reverse camera. I also ran the ground to a bolt in that same area as the fuse box which is being used as a ground for something else (OEM).

@Darkness gave me a great set of photos to remove the panels and pointed me to the url above.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  12. Jun 23, 2020 at 12:26 PM
    04DCTundraMan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    Awesome! Thanks for the links and info! That helps a ton and definitely looks like the best route to take. Now to find the light and start ordering switches. ill post up when i get going

robabeatle[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Jun 23, 2020 at 12:37 PM
    Lil Steve

Lil Steve Living the dream

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 Access Cab 2WD V8
    +1 thanks for the info. I had no intention to add any lighting to my truck but this makes it very easy to do so, I think I want to add a couple of switched aux lights to the rear bumper area just because. :thumbsup:

robabeatle and 04DCTundraMan[OP] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top