1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hopping/Chattering Rough Ride

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by GravelGuy, Sep 24, 2022.

1. Sep 24, 2022 at 7:59 AM
    GravelGuy

GravelGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver Tundra 1794
    Sequoia chrome wheels, Leer hard cover
    Hi all,
    I bought a used (6,000 miles) 2021 Crew Cab Tundra 1794 yesterday. I am surprised by the rough ride. I’m coming from a RAM 1500 that rode amazing but had RAM issues.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Shocks? Tires?

Thanks in advance!,

aelarson likes this.
  2. Sep 24, 2022 at 8:49 AM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
    Tell us more, has the truck been lifted or leveled? Are the tires stock or have larger tires been installed? Are the tires Standard load or E load? And what suspension is on your truck if factory? Are the shocks black, red/yellow or blue/yellow? Lastly, what air pressure are you running in your tires?

Metro14536 likes this.
  3. Sep 24, 2022 at 8:55 AM
    GravelGuy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver Tundra 1794
    Factory everything. Tires, shocks, air pressure and the shocks are black. I can’t tell if it’s paint, undercoating or the actual shock color.
    I’m reading that a Hellwig sway bar might help with the ride.

4. Sep 24, 2022 at 9:20 AM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
    the black shocks are the weakest of the stockers. Rather mushy handling, dont really control the tires well, but also softer than the sport or OR package shocks. Still feel road imperfections however. Visually check for any leaking shocks, they really should not be riding that hard/rough but again, if roads in your area are harsh you will know it driving a tundra.

Check your air pressure in tires, too much and it will harden the ride. 30f/33rear is factory specs, I found the truck rode and handled better bumping the pressure up a couple pounds from factory recommendation. If air pressure is in upper limits, say 35f/37r its going to ride harder especially unloaded.

Rear sway bar is a great upgrade. Big improvement on on road handling and turns- stops that heavy sway Tundras can have, especially with the black shocks. And inexpensive-well worth the $. Helwig makes RSB or get the factory TRD rear sway, which is probably cheaper. You can often find them for sale used for cheap, but even new, @$220-250 and worth every penny.

Lastly, Tundras dont ride as well as some other brands- old school tech and design, leaf springs. Ride in a coil spring Ram is going to be better, but a Ram is not as reliable- always a trade off.

5. Sep 24, 2022 at 9:38 AM
    Winning8

Winning8 New Member

Member:
    Da Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM DC 4x4 SR5
    Mumba 18x9 ET 12, BFG KO2, FOX suspension, diamond back HD cover w/ rack, LED head & fog light bulb, TRD rear sway bar, timbren enhancement, RAS helper spring, avs auto shade, Carhartt front seat cover, bench seat cover
    put 100lbs on the bed, it help the back hop

6. Sep 24, 2022 at 10:59 AM
    GravelGuy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver Tundra 1794
    Any recommendations on different shocks?

7. Sep 24, 2022 at 11:11 AM
    aelarson

aelarson New Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Tundra (Silver Sky Metallic)
    Glad to see you’re out of that Ram! :thumbsup:

GravelGuy[OP] likes this.
  8. Sep 24, 2022 at 11:16 AM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    The factory off road package shocks are better than the black ones, perform better and last longer. You can often find like new take offs for super cheap from when people lift the truck.

Then there tons of great aftermarket choices from lower end 5100s or 6112s, mid range setups like dobinsons, toytec, eibach, OME to high dollar suspensions with remote reservoir shocks . Check the suspension forum for tons of threads on different setups, pics, reviews. However most of those will lift the truck, some are adjustable from 0-2.75 lift. Aftermarket is also usually more off road focused which means firmer. And ride is subjective, what is harsh to one can be perfect to another, so what you install will depend on how you use the truck- off road, cruiser, tow/haul.

If you are looking for the softest possible ride, dont lift the truck, stick with the black or OR factory shocks, keep stock size standard load tires. I would add the rear sway bar because it is a huge improvement on the road/handling.

9. Sep 24, 2022 at 11:24 AM
    GravelGuy

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver Tundra 1794
    Thank you frichco228! I now have a plan!!!

10. Sep 24, 2022 at 12:36 PM
    Winning8

Winning8 New Member

Member:
    Da Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM DC 4x4 SR5
    Mumba 18x9 ET 12, BFG KO2, FOX suspension, diamond back HD cover w/ rack, LED head & fog light bulb, TRD rear sway bar, timbren enhancement, RAS helper spring, avs auto shade, Carhartt front seat cover, bench seat cover
    I think those black factory shock are under damp, that’s why it feels like it hop and bounce all over the place.

frichco228 likes this.
  11. Sep 24, 2022 at 1:03 PM
    Winning8

Winning8 New Member

Member:
    Da Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM DC 4x4 SR5
  12. Sep 24, 2022 at 1:25 PM
    BrunoTheRescuePup

BrunoTheRescuePup New Member

Member:
    SW Portland Metro
    Vehicle:
    2021 MGM Limited TRD
    Eibach Pro-Truck 2.0, Coachbuilder +1, Undercover Flex, Tyger Star Armor, TRD Rear Sway Bar, DD SS3 Max, MisoCustoms
    I have some factory OR shocks with 6k mikes and perfect condition I could make you a deal on.

GravelGuy[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top