1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hopkins Easylift

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Sampson, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Feb 24, 2021 at 10:32 PM
    Sampson

Sampson [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tundra SR5 V8 TRD 4x4
    I know they don't list the third gen Tundra as being compatible with the Hopkins Easylift, but if you were going to try it anyway, how would you position the B hole? For the first gen Tundra they advise drilling the hole as low on the edge of the tailgate as possible while other models say to put the hole in the center or the top of the tailgate edge.

I was hoping to find information from someone who had done this already but I can't seem to see anything anywhere, which is making me second guess myself. I did see one person in an Amazon review state that they had installed one on a 2020 Tacoma and a bunch of other newer models that were also not listed as compatible, so that makes me think it should work

2. Feb 24, 2021 at 11:49 PM
    OnespeedTRD

OnespeedTRD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Limited TRD Off-Road
    275/70r18 Cooper AT3 XLT on SCS Ray 10s, Eibach Coilovers, DD 12" Exhaust, AJT Blackout Kit, Truxedo Pro X15, paint match/chrome delete.
    I've never actually seen one of these in person, but being a pretty universal piece that just works off of tension I would think its not super critical where in the tailgate you put the hole for it to function. It may have slightly more or less tension depending on the location and weight of the tailgate, but probably imperceptible in most cases. I would probably tend to put it closer to the top to prevent the bar from making contact with the outer panel of the tailgate. If it contacts the inner shell and presses it out it a little that would be much better than putting a backwards dent on the outside of your tailgate.

Products Discussed in

To Top