1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hopefully soon to be Tundra owner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TXTundraFan, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Jun 18, 2020 at 6:00 PM
    TXTundraFan

TXTundraFan [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hello! I am looking for an inexpensive truck for hauling things occasionally and for any house project my wife has me do. Our Acadia just doesn't cut it for some of this.

Upon the recommendation of a family friend and auto mechanic, she says go for a Tacoma or Tundra. I'm on a tighter budget for this one since we have to existing vehicle payments, and our friend knows my budget and I'm finding out that there are more Tundras in my budget than Tacomas.

I've been searching for a few weeks now, first looking at an older GM truck as I am a GM fan, but from what our friend tells me, they just don't hold up like the Toyotas do, and I know she's right. I also have a coworker with a Tundra and he told me that if he ever had to replace it, it would be with another Tundra.

I found a 2008 Tundra Double Cab with the 5.7L V8 here locally. It's a base model and has 224k miles. The dealer is asking $8k for it. I have the CarFax and it looks like it's been maintained pretty regularly. It's had only one accident and according to the CarFax it was in the front and was minor. Also, it has been Texas most of its life. in The price is actually under the top of my budget which my wife likes. Whomever had it before had it lifted even though it's a 2WD. It also has straight pipes and the dealer warned me it was loud but thunderous. My friend is going to go with me to go take a look at it as she has the tools to listen to things better than I can. She tells me that as long as it was maintained before, this truck could easily go 300-400k miles before needing anything major.

Would yall trust a 12 year old Tundra with 224k miles?

Prostar 190 and Pinay like this.
  2. Jun 18, 2020 at 6:06 PM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    Welcome from Colorado

3. Jun 18, 2020 at 6:06 PM
    Pinay

Pinay New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Monet
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black - SR5 - CrewMax - 4x4 - TSS Dirty Seven Club
    Mahal kita Kuya
    Welcome from SoCal

4. Jun 18, 2020 at 6:08 PM
    RobertD

RobertD SSEM#123, ASCM#4 "I call it Vera" ~Jayne Cobb

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue SR5 4x4 Crewmax
    As long as it's been maintained and is in decent shape, it should be fine. Has the truck been in Texas its whole life? If it has been up north or any where that actually has winter there is possibility of frame rust. You still want to check for that, but if it's been in Texas, I'd think that is less likely.
    Exhaust can be changed if it's too loud for you and your wife for a couple hundred. If its lifted by spacers and still on it's original suspension, you can upgrade to Bilstein 5100s pretty affordably if you think it rides rough.
    Not saying you have to do anything, but if you like the truck, it's in price, but those 2 things bother you (you really didn't mention much else in your post) you can change both for around ~1k

5. Jun 18, 2020 at 6:42 PM
    Lovetrucks

Lovetrucks Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram Rebel
    Welcome from Ontario Canada

6. Jun 18, 2020 at 6:45 PM
    TXTundraFan

Member:
    According to the CarFax it spent maybe a year in Colorado and Wyoming but was in Texas before and after, and has been in Texas the last 4-5 years or so.

Before I have my friend go look at it with me, I'm going to go tomorrow and take a look myself to see if it's worth her time. It's about 45 miles away from me.

My only other concern per say is the price the dealer is asking for it. According to NADA it should go for $11.5k, but they are only asking $8k. I don't think I want to ask them why since I don't want to pay more than that. Also would it be being sold at a buy here pay here lot be a concern? I'll be paying cash for it but was just curious.

My friend looked at the pictures and said that if all goes well and I end up getting it, she would highly recommend replacing the tires to ones that aren't so loud and fuel hungry. The straight pipes won't bother my wife as long as I'm not rev happy and flooring it. I honestly don't plan on doing either since I want this to last.

I've never bought a vehicle with this many miles on it before so I'm not sure what to expect.

7. Jun 18, 2020 at 6:48 PM
    RobertD

RobertD SSEM#123, ASCM#4 "I call it Vera" ~Jayne Cobb

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue SR5 4x4 Crewmax
    Just with everything going on, the dealer may just be wanting to make some sales so they lowered the price. Sounds like you are making good choices. I can't provide any more insight. I wish you luck and I'm sure others will chime in.

8. Jun 18, 2020 at 6:49 PM
    TXTundraFan

Member:
    Would it be okay to post the link to the truck on the dealer's website here or is that against the rules?

9. Jun 18, 2020 at 6:54 PM
    Prostar 190

Prostar 190 SSEM #9 I would rather be water skiing

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    OH
    Vehicle:
    2010 CrewMax limited 4X4
    6" lift 35" Toyo M/T
    Welcome from Ohio

10. Jun 18, 2020 at 7:45 PM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    Welcome from NY.

11. Jun 19, 2020 at 7:34 AM
    TXTundraFan

Member:
    I'm going to go look at two today; this one and another 2008 at a different dealership. The second one is all stock with 173k miles and it's an SR5 with the 5.7L. They are asking $9k for it.

I found a third one I'm interested in. It's a 2007 4X4 with 187k miles on it, and they are asking right under $10k for it. This one has the smaller V8.

12. Jun 19, 2020 at 1:42 PM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

TXRailRoadBandit73 YOTAS,RAILROADIN',RÖKnRÖLLN',BEER,MAX/GEMMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
    Welcome from The RGV

Products Discussed in

To Top