1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

High pitch noise 25-40 mph

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by lehminh, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Sep 30, 2016 at 8:56 PM
    lehminh

lehminh [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L 2WD Front Bench Seats
    I just installed the rear sway bar. Enjoying the smoother ride but I start to notice a faint high pitch while accelerating at 25-40 mph. Don't hear it at other speeds. Don't know if it was always there (only 1000 miles) and I'm just noticing it since I'm comparing before and after. Is this normal? What is causing it? Anyway to get rid of it? I plan to do oil change and rear diff next week with Mobil 1.

2. Sep 30, 2016 at 10:51 PM
    bobeast

bobeast really old member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    - Bull Bar - LED Bunny Burners - AMP retractable running boards - Headlight leveling retrofit - P3 Brake Controller - 60% rear seat delete - relocation of Sub to rear wall - Bilstein 5100 x4, top setting with 2 shims per side - Coach builder +2 rear shackles w/carrier bearing drop - Firestone Air bags - on-board compressor with auto-leveling - Dual Undercover Swing Boxes. - P285/65/R20 (34.6") BFG TA KO2's - TRD Front skid plate - Pop & Lock Tailgate lock - Remote Tailgate mod - LED Headlights - Nav Bypass - iPhone integration - Serius/XM retrofit - 25% front tint - Bizon electric tonneau cover - Power folding tow mirror upgrade - 2010+ leveling Headlight mod - Auto-fold mirror mod. - one-touch lane changer mod - Flash to open garage opener mod - Rigid H/L fog light upgrade - Pushbutton / Remote start mod.
    I'm guessing the rear sway bar has nothing whatsoever to do with the noise. There are too many possible sources of noise to hazard a useful guess. Does it remain when your radio is turned off? Does it change pitch depending on engine speed? hint. Get up to the speed where you can hear it, put the truck in neutral, and take your foot off the gas. Does the noise go away? if 4wd, does the sound change if you engage 4wd hi?

Give us something to go on.

3. Oct 1, 2016 at 1:01 AM
    Spolar

Spolar Going broke

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Seal Beach CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 sr5
    I just took my truck in for a squeaky/high pitch noise on acceleration at low speeds... Toyota tech says its normal throttle body noise, and mine was louder because I have a k&n air filter in there. Swapped back the oem filter and it was quieter but still there.

4. Oct 1, 2016 at 3:59 AM
    Mannishboy

Mannishboy New Member

Member:
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC 4x4 Limited, Blue Ribbon Metallic.
    TRD exhaust, TRD cai, TRD rear sway bar, TRD shift knob, Sequoia front sway bar, bed extender, bed step, Weathertech floor mats and window vents, spray in bed liner, Morimoto fogs, Access tonneau bed cover.
    Spolar likes this.
  5. Oct 1, 2016 at 7:09 AM
    lehminh

lehminh [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR5 CrewMax 5.7L 2WD Front Bench Seats
    Thanks Mannishboy! That's probably it. Mine isn't too loud so I'll probably leave it as is for now...until I really get annoyed.

6. Oct 4, 2016 at 6:52 PM
    BRNG ITT

BRNG ITT New Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 CrewMax TRD PRO
    I posted this in the other similar thread:

The whistle comes from the air flow over the throttle body blade when it is at the correct angle (throttle position). The screen that is shown in the link disturbs the laminar air flow prior to reaching the TB blade. It's similar to when you take a blade of grass between your thumbs and blow across it just right to make it whistle.

Products Discussed in

To Top