1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hidden winch bumpers

Discussion in 'Recovery & Gear' started by Rbohno, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Jun 24, 2020 at 5:27 AM
    Rbohno

Rbohno [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra CrewMax Limited
    Icon stage 5,method 18 x 9, BFG KO2s, Bushwacker flares, tinted windows,Havoc HST running boards,Weatherguard slimline box, DSR1, JL Audio 900/5 amp, two 10W0 subs in a box, hertz centro in the front and Hertz Uno in back doors
    Been using bumper mounted winches since my first Ramsey on my High School truck in the 70s and have a stupid question.

All the front bumper winches I like are “Hidden Winches”, I don’t trust a wireless one as I already had one on my 2016 that would eat up batteries and then you had to plug in the winch controller. Then turn the know to free spool out then back to operate winch.

2nd How do you undo a tangle or ensure they are spooling up correctly. I called the A.D.D. people at their factory and they were zero help and almost rude because I asked these questions.

I didn’t want a huge bumper on the front that looked like Jay Leno’s chin sticking out.

So I guess it’s either A hidden winch or large protruding one?

2. Jun 24, 2020 at 5:58 AM
    MaxYota

MaxYota GrilledCheese

Member:
    First Name:
    Murf
    MS Gulfcoast
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD PRO VooDoo Blue
    Mighty Mouse suction cupped to the review 8 ball shifter. Driver side "Oh poop" handle. Smoked side window deflectors. ReadyLift TRD PRO +2 for front. 1.5" ProFormFab Shackles + 1" ToyTec block for rear. SDHQ Hidden winch mount with Badlands 9000 winch. 305/70r18 Cooper Discoverer STT PRO
    I have the SDHQ hidden winch mount on my truck. I also have a wireless remote for now but agree that running a wireless remote your having to put trust in batteries. I plan to install a remote plug jumper to replace the wireless and run a wired remote. For the "free spool knob" i just cut out enough of the bottom grill to reach in and turn it. I dont plan to deep six my truck so crawling under water to unspool is not a worry. I always spool the cable out and walk it back in after use to straighten out what happened when i winched because regardless how the winch is mounted its going to spool how it wants with a load on. Dont know if this will help any but thats my experience with hidden winches.

3. Aug 16, 2020 at 8:08 PM
    warhammer44

warhammer44 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax Black 4x4 SR5
    I’ve got a victory 4x4 blitz for sale if you’re interested

Products Discussed in

To Top