1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help with tires that keep getting out of balance on 2019 PRO

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by one4x4dad, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Aug 21, 2019 at 2:44 PM
    one4x4dad

one4x4dad [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Crew Pro
    Hello all-

I bought my Tundra in February 2019 and within 800 miles swapped the tires for BFG All Terrain KO2 275/70/18s all around. I just thought that the factory tires seemed small. And i liked the stance and height stock. I drove it for 300 miles and it started shaking around 55-65 mph. I had to take it back to Discount Tire to get re-balanced. They also rotated them> Problem solved. I went back and had them rotated at 7000 miles and all was OK. About a week later (200 miles) they started shaking. I asked them to not rotate and re-balance them. First time I drove it off and it shook worse. Took it back immediately and they "zeroed" them out on the balance machine. The MGR told me to drive and see if that fixed it. 1000 miles later balance is off again. Took it back and they balanced them again. 500 miles later prob came back.

It seems to be the set that is on the front now. He swapped the tires from left to right and said if it does it again he will swap the tires.

The shaking is driving me crazy.

Questions;
    1. Is this a tire issue or a PRO rim issue?
    2. Could it be a suspension issue?
    3. Should i get a different tire all together? I have used this brand for over 2 decades on jeeps trucks etc. Never had this issue. Is there a better tire for this application? I saw a white tundra on here one day with bronze wheels and what looked like a Hummer H1 style tire we used the the Army. Looked sharp. Cant find the post, the guy had a rod in his garage and had just put some bad ass sliders on his Tundra.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  2. Aug 21, 2019 at 3:05 PM
    Justin Case

Justin Case New Member

Member:
    TX
    Could have DT road force balance.

After three sets of tires from DT, I gave up on them mounting tires correctly. Best bet is to find a smaller tire shop with people that care to do it right. Could be a bad tire. Could be loosing weights. They are just stuck on so you could try marking or making notes of where weights are on each wheel after you have them balanced.

3. Aug 21, 2019 at 3:08 PM
    Blueknights75

Blueknights75 040 IS THE FASTEST

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Clayton, NC
    Vehicle:
    18’ TRD CM leveled with 295/70 Ridge Grapplers
    It is not a PRO rim issue as I have had no issues with mine.

Watt maker likes this.
  4. Aug 21, 2019 at 8:39 PM
    JH5370

JH5370 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White DC TRD PRO
    I have the slightest wobble in mine above 65-70 but it’s never been enough of a problem for me to do anything about. I’m still running the stock tires.

5. Aug 21, 2019 at 8:57 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    I've mentioned here previously on this forum that my new tire guy stated that he sells a lot of KO2's...but.. a bitch to balance a set...

Watt maker and Newm like this.
  6. Aug 21, 2019 at 9:49 PM
    Scuba

Scuba Sober member

Member:
    Austin, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Texas Edition CM.
    As a current Assistant Manager for Discount Tire, I think they need to be road force/ ride matched.
    BFG’s in general seem to be a bitch to balance correctly.

Every store should have right balancer to fix your issue. My truck with BFG’s rides phenomenal but, I spent about 45 mins ride matching the tires to the wheels.
    A road force balance will check for an out of round tire and tell you by how much. The balancer will then tell you if you can spin the tire on the wheel to make the assembly a more perfect circle. Anything over 30 pounds of road force will vibe.

Strictly out of curiosity can you take a picture of where the wheel weights are on the inside of the rim? I’d like to see more specifically how they are balanced.

Watt maker and JH5370 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top