1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help turning off headlights

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by chance03, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Aug 11, 2020 at 4:34 PM
    chance03

chance03 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Is there a way to get the DRL to turn off while the truck is running?

The Scenic Route likes this.
  2. Aug 11, 2020 at 8:59 PM
    dMO

dMO New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black Tundra
    Toytec 3/1 leveling kit 18x9 VE37 35x12.50 Toyo RT
    I might be talking crazy but I think if you push down on your ebrakes then start your car the DRL stays off.

Edit: Well I guess it depends what you mean by running. If driving then I’m not so sure, but if parked and running, try what I said above. ‍♂️

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  3. Aug 11, 2020 at 9:13 PM
    Pyrite Tundy

Pyrite Tundy New Member

Member:
    I have not found a way to turn off the DRL once the truck has been driven. It is a bit annoying to turn the vehicle off, set parking brake, and turn the truck back on. I've used the Carista OBD reader with the app and have not found a way to toggle the DRL off when in park.

4. Aug 12, 2020 at 2:46 AM
    ionnaeus

ionnaeus New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Chattanooga, Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2018 TSS CM SR5 4.7
    Willie Robertson gave his dad, Phil, a Tundra. Once he found out he couldn't turn the daytime running lights off, he gave it back to him.

5. Aug 17, 2020 at 9:32 PM
    NueveTundra

NueveTundra Mod list in Bio

Member:
    Planet Earth
    Vehicle:
    07, Black Tundra SR5 CrewMax
    Exterior: Toytec ultimate 3" lift level, Total Chaos Uniball UCA's, Total Chaos Cam Tab Gusset kit, AcanII smoked headlights, AcanII smoke Tail lights (2.5 gen style), DV8 front winch bumper , Badlands 12k winch with Apex Synthetic, White AUTMATCH Shackles 3/4" D Ring Shackle, Apex Winch shackle, Trail Ridge mirrors ,Icon Rebound Pro 17"x8.5" +25, Cooper Discovery STT Pro 285/70R17, PowerStop drilled n slotted rotors W/Carbon pads, Rigid flood flush mounts rear bumper , WeatherTec rain guards , OEM black side badges , Rigid Amber Radiance Pods. Energy Suspension Red Rack and Pinion Bushings, EAG front mesh Grille, RCI HighLift bed mounts. Rough Country DS2 Steps, A.R.E OverLand Canopy with Ascend basket, Stickers: ToyTec lifts windshield banner, Red Strange Music window sticker(back cab), White Strange Music sticker(back canopy), White Rigid sticker x2 (canopy sides), white Official BigFoot Research Team (Back Canopy) Interior: Alpine double din touch iLX-650 , JL C5-653's (front) JL C1-650x (rear) , JL JX400 4 channel amp , JL JX500 mono amp , 2 JL 12" subs , WeatherTec floor mats, Kenwood F/R Dash Cams, Black steering wheel emblem overlay, Tekonsha P3 Brake controller, ToyTec "Fresh" Scent coilover air freshener, Under the Hood: Koyo all aluminum radiator, Mishimoto red silicon hoses , XS Power 3000 amp battery , LAlectric 300 amp Alternator , K&N replacement filter. Online LED store accessories Fuse/relay box. (Identified) Dirty Deeds 8" Cat back exhaust with DD resonator delete/axel over converted into dump. Coming soon:
    @chance03 their is no separate way to turn the DRL off while its running , you can put a military black out switch in it if you want.

i just leave my lights on full time since its safer , easier to been seen during the day. if you get out and shut the door an double lock with the remote the will instantly turn off.

if your worried turning off your tundra and waiting for someone will kill your battery while the engines off, then turn off engine pull key open and re-shut door and wait 30 seconds and the lights will turn off.

so looking the parking brake switch while engaged will keep DRL off and their is a DRL relay circuit.

what are you looking to do ? or what is the premise of your question?

6. Jul 24, 2021 at 10:27 AM
    The Scenic Route

The Scenic Route New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Benjamin
    Vehicle:
    Deposit on 05
    road rash
    son of a didly, this is the 2nd gen forum, unsure if this will work for your trucks..

but if your search led you here for 1st gen woes, below is the antidote..

To disable the daytime running lights on 1gen tundra/seq locate the grey plug tucked between the battery and drivers side wall of the engine bay. Unclip and remove plug from receiver.

Enjoy a truck that allows the user to choose when to have headlights, and save a dime on fried LEDs, if you're that kinda ass.

Not sure if O.P. resolved their issue, but this thread comes up in a google search of how to shut off headlights, so figured I would update with the solution..

bill is in the mail

7. Jul 25, 2021 at 11:02 AM
    Dr_Al

Dr_Al New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    I turned them off on my wife's Rav4 with TechStream.

8. Jul 25, 2021 at 11:15 AM
    APalmTree

APalmTree 4x4 SKEPTIC

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    SW Washington
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Offroad White Crewmax 5.7L
    1 or 2... I lost count
    On the second-gen trucks, the only option is to modify the flasher module. Option 1 is to cut a wire, like I did to turn mine off https://www.tundras.com/threads/wha...2nd-gen-tundra-today.68/page-244#post-1764758. Option 2 is you can purchase a different flasher module that does not come with the DRL function but I don't know what the part numbers are.

Edit: My understanding is that this is still true for third-gen trucks as well until you get to trucks that have the LED strips and then the wiring is slightly different.

Products Discussed in

To Top