1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help me pick please! Platinum Vs TRD PRO

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by toyoboyo, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Jul 19, 2019 at 8:14 PM
    toyoboyo

toyoboyo [OP] New Member

Member:
    Here's a riddle for you gents. I want a 2020 Tundra. Originally wanted a Platinum then changed my mind to the TRD PRO.. I want Voodoo Blue but that's not available on the TRD PRO anymore. Army Green hasn't grown on me yet.

I want the Platinum leather and ventilated seats but I want the TRD PRO suspension.. I used to own a limited and found the seats a little uncomfortable at times... White or Voodoo works for me. What would you rather buy? I want the TRD PRO as a cool factor too as I like the stamped bed. Don't like the platinum wheels.. Is the TRD PRO suspension a simple plug and play? How much would that cost me? Wish the blue was available on the 2020 TRD PRO.

A discount seems to be easily applicable to the Platinum but not the TRD PRO... Could one use the savings off MSRP to buy a better suspension?

Shukidevdas likes this.
  2. Jul 19, 2019 at 8:34 PM
    toyoboyo

toyoboyo [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for that reply.. IDGAF about TSS warranties and if anything else the Magnuson Moss Act is there to help.

I've read that ICON shocks/suspension is cheaper and better than the PRO's.. Is this true? Watching videos on the PRO is really selling me with that suspension. It would be 95% city driving but that 5% when I'm out in Mejico or in the dunes I want a proven truck. No questions.

3. Jul 19, 2019 at 8:37 PM
    Black@Blue19

Black@Blue19 Old Salt

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    21 SR5 TSS Onroad, 24 Camaro 2SS 6.2 L
    To much to list:)
    Look at getting the sport and do the mods as you go?

Shukidevdas and Tundyfundy like this.
  4. Jul 19, 2019 at 8:39 PM
    toyoboyo

toyoboyo [OP] New Member

Member:
    Does the Sport have the Platinum interior bits?

5. Jul 19, 2019 at 8:44 PM
    ninjajay

ninjajay Posting from the toilet

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Spoolston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM 1794 TRD 4x4
    Toytec/Radflo Lift, Ambit RS02 18x9+0, Bridgestone Revo 3 295/70/18
    I'd lean Platinum especially since you want voodoo, but over the last few months dealers haven't been as proud of their Pros and discounts are starting to show up.

OR18TRD likes this.
  6. Jul 19, 2019 at 10:23 PM
    Platinum Blue whale

Platinum Blue whale New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Vehicle:
    2017 platinum 4x4
    N-fab bumper N-fab side step bars ARE shell Line-x bed Thule roof rack Shade canopy LED lightbar Led Headlights Toyo 35” XD addict bronze 18” Bushwacker extenda fender
    Go platinum if nothing else but for the seats.

yodanadane likes this.
  7. Jul 19, 2019 at 10:28 PM
    texasrho83

texasrho83 DGAF#1

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Conroe TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC MGM 4x4
    See build link
    For around $1k you can have leather in your truck so there’s that...

8. Jul 19, 2019 at 10:38 PM
    realtorblake

realtorblake Tundra Thunda

Member:
    Redneckistan... aka Cypress, TX
    2019 Crewmax Platinum 5" Zone lift Fox 2.5 /OME suspension 12.5x35x18 ProComp's
    Platinum and spend the money you save on tires and suspension upgrade's. I told the dealership manager I bought from that I wasn't interested in a TRD Pro because I was going to lift if 5" and didn't want to pay the TRD cost of stuff that wouldn't work for me. Also asked if that would mess up my warranty. He said nope... but I haven't had to test his word yet...

Boerseun likes this.
  9. Jul 20, 2019 at 5:30 AM
    Tundyfundy

Tundyfundy Petunia The Tundra, and her sidekick Colbie

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic Grey DC SR5 4x4 2016
    SUSPENSION: Bilstein 6112 coilover (1.9") w/ Powder Coated Springs and Spring Perch (TRD Red), JBA Upper Control Arms, Bilstein 5160's w/Billet Aluminium Reservoir Brackets, +2 Coachbuilder Shackles, Diff Drop Kit, Carrier Bearing Drop Kit, Brakeline Extensions, ABS Extension, Poly Bushings for Leafs, Coachbuilder Shims (2 Each Side), Coachbuilder Bumpstop Extensions, TRD Rear Sway Bar, TRD Front Sway Bar, Air Lift 5000 airbags w jounce bumpers, Daystar Airbag Cradles WHEELS AND TIRES: BF Goodrich KO2's 275/70/r18, BORA wheel spacers 1.25", TRD Wheel Caps,TRD Valve Stem Caps, Spare Tire Lock PERFORMANCE: Bullydog GT Tuner(Performance Tune), TRD Intake, TRD Dual Exhaust (with Modified Exhaust Hangers for Levelling Tail Pipe),TRD Brake Pads, TRD Oil Cap (US), TRD Radiator Cap, TRD Oil Filter, Optima Yellow Top Battery,GP Battery Distribution Blocks, StopTech Slotted Cryo Treated Rotors, Goodridge G-Stop Steel Braided Brake Line Kit PROTECTION: PNP Engineering Type 4 Rock Sliders (With Full Dimple Plate) ,ADD Stealth Fighter Rear Bumper w Red/Blk Shackles and Custom Stomp Pad, TRD Skid Plate with ReadyLift Spacer Kit, Victory 4x4 LCA Skid Plates, JOMAX ABS Sensor Armor, Rear Diff Breather Mod, ARK splash guards INTERIOR: Husky Liners X-Act (Front and Full Coverage Rear and Front Weather Beater Trans Hump), Interior LED Bulbs, WheelSkins Genuine Leather Steering Wheel Cover(EuroPerf), Clazzio Genuine Leather Seat Covers(BLK/DRK GRYwith custom stitching and embroidered headrests), Clazzio Seat Heaters (Front and Rear), Entune Startup Screen MOD, Entune Off Screen Mod, Tinted Windows with Windshield Visor, AJT Key Fobs,Eagle Claws Floor Mat Clips, Bodyglove Visor Organizer,Custom Door Cup Inserts, Glass Break Sensor,AJT Radio Knobs, Custom Dior Cup Inserts EXTERIOR: Full Debadge, LED Brake Light Bulbs, LED Rear Turns, LED Reverse, LED Plate Lights, LED Cargo Lights, LED Third Brake Lights, LED Front Marker Lights, LED Fog Light Bulbs, Lamin-X Fog Light Covers (Amber),2018 OEM LED Headlights, iHacker harness, VLED Universal Puddle Lights, VLED Interior Footwell Lighting (Front and Rear),VLED Extreme Amber Fornt Turns, NSV Knight Rider Light bar, Baja Designs Sport Squadron Pods in Rear Bumper (Driving/wide), Painted Red Tow-hooks, Bed Rail System, Blind Spot Mirrors, Hitch-safe, Tail-gate lock, EAG Raptor Grille, Custom Grille Badge,Full Vinyl Wrap (Matte Black/Matte Pine Green Mettalic), Charvonia Designs Tie Bed Tie-Downs, Bull Ring Bed Rail Anchors, Line-X, Tundra Bed Mat, Bakflip F1 Bed Cover SOUND: Noico 80Mil Sound Deadening and Noico 170 Mil Thermal Insulation (All 4 Doors, Roof, Floors, Rear Panel, Dash). Hertz Uno K170's Component Speakers (Front Doors with Upgraded Sail Panels), Hertz Uno K170 Coaxial Speakers (Rear Doors), JBL C1-075ct Tweeters (Total 4) in Side Dash and Center Speaker, JBL Stadium 5 Amp w/Remote Bass Adjustment Knob and Amp Rack, 12" Infinity Reference Subwoofer in Custom Enclosure w/ “TUNDRA” Logo, Fast Rings Foam Speaker Rings System(4 Doors), Fix 86 DSP
    Love mine! With coach builder shackles!

10. Jul 20, 2019 at 5:34 AM
    Heeler13

Heeler13 21MGM

Member:
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    2021 Sr5 XP
    Bilstein 5100 Front @ middle setting Bilstein 5100 Rear @ stock height Oem older Pro wheels 285/75/18 Maxxis Razr a/t
    Platinum all the way. Skip the PRO suspension. Yes, its plug and play, but you can achieve the same look for less $$ and possibly even end up with a better product. Anything PRO is overpriced ...imho

Wiscdave and Boerseun like this.
  11. Jul 20, 2019 at 5:51 AM
    1UPPER

1UPPER Not A New Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Flux capacitor!
    I would lean towards the Platinum if you want the additional interior comforts like heated and cooled seats. If you already plan to change the suspension on the Pro then go with a Platinum get more features for less money and make it your own. If you want to leave it stock and want to have a more capable off road suspension then get the Pro. Good time of the year to get a good deal on a 19 Tundra once the 2020 Tundra’s hit the dealerships.

12. Jul 20, 2019 at 7:35 AM
    hagrid

hagrid The most diverse of Diversity Hires!

Member:
    First Name:
    Spraynard
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    K1600GTL ZX-14R
    paynuss stretchers
    Help me pick please! Platinum Vs TRD PRO

Spraynard to the rescue!

Get the Plattynum.

Shukidevdas and Pinay like this.
  13. Jul 20, 2019 at 8:28 AM
    DexterL

DexterL New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 lunar rock TRD pro Seqouia
    Platinum, you can add everything (or better for cheaper as others have mentioned) except the bedstamp

Shukidevdas likes this.
  14. Jul 20, 2019 at 8:46 AM
    Helipilot2

Helipilot2 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Limited CrewMax 4x4
    Limited all day and take the saved money and put in way better suspension.

15. Jul 20, 2019 at 8:56 AM
    Maverick61

Maverick61 New Member

Member:
    In the same boat, was set on a 2019 Platinum in Magnetic Grey, but now think I am going to wait for the 2020 Platinum in Voo Doo Blue. Only negative with waiting for 2020, dont know if there will be dealer incentives on the 2020 when they first hit the lots end of August/September. May be better incentives on the 2019 Platinum.

16. Jul 20, 2019 at 4:45 PM
    toyoboyo

toyoboyo [OP] New Member

Member:
    Looks like it's gonna be a Voodoo blue Platinum for me. Any must have factory add ons or just do them afterwards? I want the Ridgid fog lights!!

Thank you all for the replies!

Boerseun likes this.
  17. Jul 20, 2019 at 5:49 PM
    ninjajay

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Spoolston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM 1794 TRD 4x4
    Do everything aftermarket, cheaper and better. Only thing I'd get dealer add is fender flares, since there probably aren't prepainted voodoo ones out yet. You can get the factory pro fog housings and put in your own ridgid or BD pods, and you can even avoid the shaking the factory ones have - there's a thread on here about how to do it

18. Jul 20, 2019 at 5:50 PM
    JTL

JTL New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Phoenix, Az
    Vehicle:
    '17 MGM Platinum
    Trd CAI, Trd Dual Exhaust, ESP Locking storage, Center Console Safe, Trd Rear Sway Bar, BFG Ko2, Pioneer Avic 8400nex, Husky Liners, 19 Trd Headlights, iHacker Harness, Tech12Volts Sub Upgrade
    I always say Platinum over Pro. Its hard to know if the 2020 will still look the same on the interior though so keep that in mind. Way better lifts for cheaper out there. If you dont like the wheels then you would be basically buying the bed stamp and an overpriced leveling kit.
    I love my MGM but that Voodoo Blue is pretty damn sweet! Get it and make me jealous!

19. Jul 20, 2019 at 5:52 PM
    lawrenceb

lawrenceb New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD Pro
    Cant get VooDoo Blue in Platinum trim, only the Pro.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have bought a Platinum.. you can easily get 8-9k off a Platinum. So for less money you get more creature comforts, use the savings and buy some Pro wheels, suspension etc.... even with the upgrades you still end up cheaper than a Pro. Dealers will discount a Pro, but the discount is nowhere near what you can get off a Platinum.

20. Jul 20, 2019 at 5:58 PM
    4Runner

4Runner New Member

Member:
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black Limited FFV
    Magnuson Supercharged, FOX 2.5 DSC front and rear, TRD Exhaust, TRD Rear Sway, and many more....build thread coming
    Get Plat and then mod to want you want.

21. Jul 20, 2019 at 5:59 PM
    JTL

JTL New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Phoenix, Az
    Vehicle:
    '17 MGM Platinum
    Trd CAI, Trd Dual Exhaust, ESP Locking storage, Center Console Safe, Trd Rear Sway Bar, BFG Ko2, Pioneer Avic 8400nex, Husky Liners, 19 Trd Headlights, iHacker Harness, Tech12Volts Sub Upgrade
    They are offering Voodoo Blue on Platinums for 2020. They learned from the boneheaded mistake to only make them available in Pros and next year Limited's and down.

22. Jul 20, 2019 at 6:09 PM
    ninjajay

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Spoolston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM 1794 TRD 4x4
    People said that about inferno, cement and quicksand too. It was always a first year exclusive before moving to most trims the following year. They confirmed Army green is the 2020 pro exclusive color and SR5 and up has the option of voodoo

23. Jul 20, 2019 at 6:55 PM
    LT75

LT75 Seasoned Pro

Member:
    Saint Charles, IL
    No mods yet
    Doesn’t the 2020 pro get the platinum options inside standard now?

24. Jul 20, 2019 at 7:46 PM
    1engineer

1engineer New Member

Member:
    Appalachians
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Limited TRD Off Road.
    If you think this about Mag Moss then you have no clue. Buy what you want, fix it the way you like. Good luck.

hey smell this likes this.
  25. Jul 20, 2019 at 7:47 PM
    toyoboyo

toyoboyo [OP] New Member

Member:
    I wish it did. There's always a double edged sword with the Tundra. Each trim has something another trim can't have. The BRO seats can be horrible uncomfortable. Especially when it's cold. You can get uncomfortable leather in the Limited and BRO but it's more durable and easier to clean.. In the Platinum you get the lexus leather but it can age easily.

26. Jul 20, 2019 at 7:49 PM
    toyoboyo

toyoboyo [OP] New Member

Member:
    They would have to prove a lift or larger tires broke something.. Which is what the guy said in his post. Was he talking about strictly denying TSS warranties or other things?

27. Jul 20, 2019 at 7:58 PM
    1engineer

1engineer New Member

Member:
    Appalachians
    Vehicle:
    Actually not. This is how it works...
    You lift or do some mod..
    Something breaks or fails somewhere...
    You take it in...
    They say it was lift..

They don't have to prove a thing at this point. The case is closed! If you think it was not caused by the lift, you call Toyota and open a case. They send someone out and they make a determination. If they feel the issue was caused by the lift, it's up to you to prove it, not them.

28. Jul 20, 2019 at 8:06 PM
    ninjajay

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Spoolston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM 1794 TRD 4x4
    JTL likes this.
  29. Jul 21, 2019 at 4:28 AM
    LT75

LT75 Seasoned Pro

Member:
    Saint Charles, IL
    No mods yet
    I just switched from a platinum to a pro. What I hated the most about platinum seats was that everything gets stuck in the perforated leather. I travel a lot so I snack in the truck a lot. Every crumb that falls gets stuck inside those holes. Also in the heat the seats are only ventilated not cooled so the air running through the seats is the same temperature as inside the truck. So they’re not cool until you let the AC run for a while before you get in. The only thing I truly miss are the tilting reverse side mirrors.

30. Jul 21, 2019 at 5:22 PM
    1engineer

1engineer New Member

Member:
    Appalachians
    Vehicle:
    I just wrote down how it works. What I didn't write down is, when a manufacturer (we are past the dealer at this point) says that warranty is denied and it is because of a mod you did, they still don't have to offer proof. If you want proof, you have to take it to court. You get your expert witness and go up against the manufacturer. THEN you will get your proof, usually several months later because you know how the court system works. Oh, while that's happening, you will not be allowed to drive your vehicle because it could be modded again. It gets impounded to protect it.
    So, bottom line, you will eventually get proof or you might beat it, depending on how strong a case you have and how good your expert witness is. But, you could lose (probably will) and it could end up costing you a lot of money on top of your original problem.

The dealer might be flippant when he makes the initial denial but Toyota won't. They will do it by the book.

Products Discussed in

To Top