1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help me match my lights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by chphilo, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Jul 3, 2016 at 10:23 AM
    chphilo

chphilo [OP] Tundra addict

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tundra TRD 5.7 4x4 CM
    I liked my stock lights which haven't failed me yet. But after getting this LED drl installed, I want to get lights that are white in color in order to better match the drl. (You see, one mod always leads to another).

What is the best way to match the lights (I am interested in doing low beam, high beam, and the fog lights). Match doesn't have to be perfect. Here's my thought so far.

1. I am hesitant to do HID. As I understand, it's illegal in all 50 states unless it was installed from the factory.

2. I am also hesitant to go with LED. I saw the rather large cooling mechanism, all protruding into the engine bay, which I don't see how it could be good. Legality here also seems to be an issue.

3. So I am left with whiter halogen. It seems that Philips has the best bulbs for the buck. I like X-treme Vision, but I am afraid that might still look too yellow next to the LED. Would something like Crystal Vision work better? Diamond Vision?

Is there any other option to match the light. Is there anything wrong with my thinking in 1, 2,and 3 above?

I am a total novice when it comes to lighting. Any input will be appreciated.

Lights.jpg

2. Jul 3, 2016 at 10:25 AM
    CaptTyler

CaptTyler Life’s too short to have an ugly boat.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Ram 2500 Cummins
    I like those DRL's a lot. Thought about doing it myself.
    I have the Philips Xtreme Vision for my headlamps,I don't think they'd be as white as your LED strip.
    The other issue is that I don't think you can get the Xtreme for your fog lamps so it all wouldn't match anyways.

chphilo[OP] likes this.
  3. Jul 3, 2016 at 11:23 AM
    bobeast

bobeast really old member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    - Bull Bar - LED Bunny Burners - AMP retractable running boards - Headlight leveling retrofit - P3 Brake Controller - 60% rear seat delete - relocation of Sub to rear wall - Bilstein 5100 x4, top setting with 2 shims per side - Coach builder +2 rear shackles w/carrier bearing drop - Firestone Air bags - on-board compressor with auto-leveling - Dual Undercover Swing Boxes. - P285/65/R20 (34.6") BFG TA KO2's - TRD Front skid plate - Pop & Lock Tailgate lock - Remote Tailgate mod - LED Headlights - Nav Bypass - iPhone integration - Serius/XM retrofit - 25% front tint - Bizon electric tonneau cover - Power folding tow mirror upgrade - 2010+ leveling Headlight mod - Auto-fold mirror mod. - one-touch lane changer mod - Flash to open garage opener mod - Rigid H/L fog light upgrade - Pushbutton / Remote start mod.
    Any halogen is going to be yellow compared to those LEDs. Stay away from the so called "White as HID" halogens. They use a blue lens coating to whiten up the light, but that also diminishes their light output.

I am partial to the Philips Crystal Vision. Somewhat whiter than stock, but still have decent output.

chphilo[OP] likes this.
  4. Jul 3, 2016 at 11:38 AM
    CaptTyler

CaptTyler Life’s too short to have an ugly boat.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Ram 2500 Cummins
    Agreed with the "stay away from white as HID" halogens ^^

chphilo[OP] likes this.
  5. Jul 3, 2016 at 12:15 PM
    chphilo

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the input.

Is Diamond Vision considered 'HID halogen"?

I do like Xtreme Vision and Crystal Vision. From what I understand Xtreme has more light output and Crystal is whiter.

How frequently would I have to change these bulbs? I would think Crystal Vision is somewhat better match for LED, is that correct?

6. Jul 4, 2016 at 3:36 AM
    chphilo

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    I ordered some Philips Crystal Vision bulbs from Amazon. I will update the thread once I get things installed.

Here is the color spectrum of Philips' offering. At least on the picture, Crystal Vision seems to come closest to white. With blue light, I think I am sacrificing light output.
    1-9.jpg

Here is a comparison picture with stock bulb.
    CrystalVisionComparison._V141677994_.jpg
    From a distance,
    image.jpg

I went back and forth between Xtreme Vision (which has an awesome light output) and Crystal Vision. I chose to go with Crystal Vision because it seems that the compromise in light output is minimal and it will come closer to matching the LED. I didn't want to go wth higher temp because then the light output becomes significantly reduced. Here is night time shot side by side. (To be fair, this was predecessor to Xtreme Vision, which also had awesome light output)
    Photo2PhilipsCompare_zps52da1d5c.jpg

Black Wolf likes this.
  7. Jul 10, 2016 at 5:30 PM
    chphilo

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    Crystal Vision, I installed low beam and high beam. They are definitely whiter than stock, but not quite as white as LED. These light will do for now. I left the LED on for comparison.

Low beam:
    LightLow.jpg

High beam:
    LightHighLow.jpg

Comparison to the stock: Fog light was just about same yellow as stock headlight.
    LightComparison.jpg

Law323 and r4z0r51o like this.
  8. Jul 10, 2016 at 5:54 PM
    r4z0r51o

r4z0r51o have fallen off the forum, but I’m still alive.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Northeast San Francisco Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Sky Metallic Crewmax 5.7L TRD 4x4
    22x12”HostileRage/33”NittoRidgeGrap/StealthFighter/FOX-BDS
    Those crystal visions look pretty good. Alot better than before. Guess I now know what I'd go with if I decide to not go the LED route.

chphilo[OP] likes this.
  9. Jul 12, 2016 at 8:44 AM
    chphilo

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    Here are some night shots with Crystal Vision.

Just the DRLs (for comparison): These LEDs are bright, but they don't project the light very far.
    01 LED.jpg

Low beam:
    02 JustLowBeam.jpg

High beam and low beam:
    03 JustHighLow.jpg

r4z0r51o, Law323 and Black Wolf like this.
  10. Jul 12, 2016 at 9:53 AM
    Law323

Law323 it’s only weird if you make it weird

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    I actually like Sylvania silverstar. Not sure how they match up to crystal vision but they were noticeably brighter and whiter than stock halogen. Had to change both headlights when one went out.

chphilo[OP] likes this.
  11. Jul 13, 2016 at 5:57 AM
    chphilo

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    I almost went with Sylvania Silverstar Ultra mainly because our local Wal-Mart carries them. I had to order Philips bulbs online. I am guessing that Sylvania Silverstar Ultra has about the same whiteness as Extreme Vision. I like these white lights and they are certainly a better match with the LED, but they are still bit yellow in comparison.

My LEDs are blindingly bright from the front. But as you could see in my picture, they don't light up much beyond the immediate vicinity. I am sure LEDs work better for head lights, but various reviews seem to indicate that they don't work as well as halogen bulbs. Recent offering from Philips seems promising, but now I have a little time to wait (I bought some extra bulbs) for them to develop a good alternative.

Law323 likes this.
  12. Jul 13, 2016 at 6:11 AM
    Law323

Law323 it’s only weird if you make it weird

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    In comparison to LED's, I'd definitely agree, they are yellow. I had never heard of crystal vision until now. Maybe when my silver stars blow out, I'll have to check these out (and incidentally, replace ALL the bulbs again) LOL

Products Discussed in

To Top