1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help me DIY

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by odom117, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Aug 31, 2020 at 11:55 AM
    odom117

odom117 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Vehicle:
    2005 White Tundra LTD Double Cab
    I'm a guy that likes to do things myself. Grew up with my dad who is a contractor so I've always been on job sites and using tools. I do a lot of stuff around my house and yard. Unfortunately, I hardly ever touched a vehicle. Literally didn't grow up knowing how to change a tire, change oil, nothing.

So, with owning a 2005 double cab limited tundra for a couple of years, I've tried to be better. Since owning it at 108,000 miles, I've done the oil changes, replaced the exterior lights, changed the air filter, conditioned the leather seats, installed a stereo, installed Bilstein 5100s... and that's about it. No other issues with the truck at all, but also no other maintenance done.

I'm about to hit 150,000 miles and I'm looking for recommendations on what routine maintenance to do at this milestone. I'd also love to learn how to do it so I can do it myself and not only educate myself, but also save a buck in the process. Any help/advice/recommendations is greatly appreciated as I try and learn the world of Tundras.

-Also, couple of items I know need to be fixed... TPMS sensor... easy to fix or get a tire shop? I think Toyota dealership quoted me $1,000 for all 4 wheels.
    -And, my gas tank doesn't shut the pump off when filling up gas. Every single gas station I go to overfills my tank and I get a very slight amount of overflow (probably a cups worth). Easy to fix? Worth sending to a shop?

Bob_Wiley and Darkness like this.
  2. Aug 31, 2020 at 12:08 PM
    shifty`

shifty` Is the Gila Copter a love machine?

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    The gas pump not stopping pumping ... that's not a function of your vehicle, that's a function of the pump handle. When the level of fuel reaches the tip of the nozzle which you should have fully inserted to work correctly, as soon as the fuel level in the tank reaches the tip of the nozzle, it should shutoff due to the pump handle design.

If you want more details, go here: https://jalopnik.com/this-is-why-the-gas-pump-keeps-shutting-off-on-you-all-1842036809

TPMS you need to first try resetting TPMs system if you have the reset button first. RTFM on the process. I believe you start the vehicle, hold the button in for 5 seconds or something, then let the vehicle run for 3mins after? I forget.

If it doesn't correct itself, possible batteries are low. Take to a tire shop. Don't have the stealership do it, they'll rape you on labor and fees. It may not be cheap at tire shop but will be cheap-er.

For routine maintenance ... I believe it's in the manual also, but if not, I can link you to the sheet, I just need to find it really quick.

YardBird and FrenchToasty like this.
  3. Aug 31, 2020 at 12:11 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
  4. Aug 31, 2020 at 12:25 PM
    odom117

odom117 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Vehicle:
    I like to think of myself as a pretty smart guy and say that I insert the gas pump completely and correctly. It occurs at ever single different gas station I go to which would make me think it's not me?

5. Aug 31, 2020 at 12:25 PM
    odom117

odom117 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Vehicle:
  6. Aug 31, 2020 at 12:37 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    I mean, maybe you're pumping with the handle sideways, so the sensor is higher than the fuel level? It's the only thing I can think of. It's really not a function of your truck or its tank or even the pressure of the tank. It should be a function of the pump handle itself.

7. Aug 31, 2020 at 3:43 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Stick around and we’ll teach you Grasshopper.

8. Sep 1, 2020 at 1:37 PM
    rock climber

rock climber New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2001 Sequoia 4X4, 2000 AC 4X4
    With the gas pump, have you checked the flexible piece between the tank and the gas cap? Maybe there's a slight tear so it's not building pressure. When you fill up is there a gas leak anywhere?

9. Sep 2, 2020 at 7:13 PM
    odom117

odom117 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Vehicle:
    I tried filling again today and really made sure the pump was fit correctly and everything. Same thing happened. Pump cut off, and gas then began to overflow out of the gas tank and down the side of my truck. Not much, about a cups worth. Nothing on the truck seems irregular.

10. Sep 3, 2020 at 4:38 AM
    tvpierce

tvpierce Formerly New Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra AC SR5 4WD, 4.7 Automatic
    You really don't want that to happen -- ever. It allows fuel to flow into the evaporative emmissions system which is designed to capture fumes not liquid. If the charcoal canister gets saturated with fuel you'll need to replace it.

Do you have a check engine light on all the time with an evaporative emmissions fault code?

Regarding routine maintenance: have the timing belt and water pump been done?

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  11. Sep 4, 2020 at 3:11 AM
    odom117

odom117 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Vehicle:
    Yes. This has been going on ever since I purchased the truck at 108,000 miles. Immediately went home and had timing belt and water pump replaced. Noticed gas was overflowing when I filled it up. Happened a couple times. Now I manually stop the pump before it overflows. Now at 149,000 and been doing it ever since... kind of annoying... so yesterday was the first time I let it overflow in a long time just to make sure there wasn't user error at all.

12. Sep 4, 2020 at 5:02 AM
    10TundraSR5

10TundraSR5 Happy Tundra owner

Member:
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black Tundra SR5
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!
    Thank you for the link, Very informative read!

Products Discussed in

To Top