1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help me decide on what maintenance to do please.

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by ToyotaJim, May 13, 2020.

1. May 13, 2020 at 12:20 PM
    ToyotaJim

ToyotaJim [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    As many of you saw, I bought a 2000 Tundra with ~150,000 miles. In each category (mechanical, exterior, interior) I'd rate it a 9 out of 10. And I want to keep it that way or even improve. For instance, the battery terminals had some corrosion so I cleaned those off really well. I've already bought plugs, oil, filter, and will be myself or having a dealer inspect and replacing all fluids as necessary.

It was apparently loved and maintained very well, so I "assume" all recommended work was done but I don't want to learn the opposite the hard way... Having said that the engine and belts and hoses all look pristine.

Unfortunately, very poor maintenance records. I don't know what maintenance has been done and have limited records. Toyota doesn't have much, and the records are almost worthless. For instance, at 55k miles, the transmission pan was inspected. At 86k miles, the check engine light was diagnosed. WTF can you run an operation if you have such limited records? Carfax is a bit better but no records until 2009. Dealership has no records and no contact with prior owner.

For the first 9 years, and from 0-135k miles, I have essentially no idea what was done. I think it's safe to assume whoever had a new $30,000 pickup at least did the routine fluid changes.

From 2009 forward, it was routinely serviced about every 1-3k miles or every few months to a year at oil change places. So I know the most important routine work was done for the last decade. And it was driven sparingly, about 3k miles annually in the last 10 years.
    In the last 4 years, it's had:
    * O2 sensor replaced (2016)
    * Radiator replaced and flushed (2016)
    * Rear diff flush and change (2019)
    * Last oil change was 1000 miles and 7 months ago, and the oil looks very clean. I'll probably change it and the filter for peace of mind.

So, with that in mind, I think top items will be all fluids (oil, transmission, brakes, coolant, power steering), and the timing belt to be safe even though it's really expensive, and probably the water pump because I think those are a weak spot in the engine and my 4.7L 4Runner had one fail at 30,000 miles. It's right in with the timing belt so it may as well be replaced with the belt. And from my pictures a helpful member pointed out rust around the center bearing flange, which I'll have the shop look to replace.

I'm of the opinion that if the engine is open, the labor is cheaper than the part so potentially problematic parts should be replaced at that time.

What else can you recommend needs attention?

2. May 13, 2020 at 12:25 PM
    ToyotaTundraMike

ToyotaTundraMike Not A New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Timing belt and water pump would be first on my list. Recommended every 90k miles on that truck. A lot of people put it off til 120k+ so it’s possible that it hasn’t been done on yours.

Cost me about $750-800 to have it done on my 2006 a long time ago.

3. May 13, 2020 at 12:34 PM
    ToyotaJim

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Yup, probably smart. That's about what it cost me in my 4Runner when I did it at 75k per the manual. Funny enough, when they told me they pulled it out, they said there was no need to replace it but they did anyway. The belt looked excellent.

I'll get it in to do the belt and the water pump and just expect a grand or so for those.

4. May 13, 2020 at 1:36 PM
    Johnsonman

Johnsonman New Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Sequoia
    LED headlamps/fogs; interior footlamps.
  5. May 13, 2020 at 2:27 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Fluids are an easy DIY way to reset a new base line for your records.

Timing belts are expensive, but if you can DIY go ahead it won’t hurt. I don’t think I’ve ever read anyone come on this site and complain their belt broke from being old like others do with rusty frames. Not saying the belts can’t break, but we’ve seen some pics of old old gnarly belts that still performed. Most belt complaints are from people using Gates belts or not installing their OEM ones properly with the new tensioner.

LBJ had a factory recall in 2005 which is when mine were replaced and subsequently in 2018 during a front end re-do. I recco this before Timing Belt.

All cheap and readily available Fluids that meet and exceed Toyota Specs: Valvoline DEX/Merc, Zerex Asian Red, Mobil 1 Syn High Miles Engine Oil.

revtune likes this.
  6. May 13, 2020 at 3:31 PM
    rock climber

rock climber New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2001 Sequoia 4X4, 2000 AC 4X4
    The only other thing I'd add is the spark plugs.

ToyotaJim[OP] likes this.
  7. May 13, 2020 at 4:08 PM
    revtune

revtune New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dane
    Houston Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra 4.7 AC 2wd
    2006 Tundra: Stock air intake 3 inch catback Magnaflow 13742 2.5 inch front lift 1.5 inch rear blocks 2014 sr5 4Runner wheels (17x7) 1.5 inch hub centric wheel spacers p285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 Weathertech floor liners

42D9F064-001C-4D9D-A4B7-0318CA0B532F.jpg

Speaking of timing belt, I just ordered these parts for my 2006 4.7. If you order these parts, just do a quick cross reference of the serpentine belt for your year model. They should be the same, but I would double check.

8. May 14, 2020 at 10:35 AM
    Pucks18

Pucks18 Fleabit peanut monkey

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tundra 4x4 Limited trd
    Transmission drain and fill, do it at every oil change or more if u want. Super easy and cheap if you use dex/merc valvoline. Just get the belt and waterpump done regardless. 1,000 bucks at least. Spray frame with fluid film if you live up north. Change power steering fluid with ur left over atf fluid. Buy 2 gallons, will cost u about 30 bucks. Replace all diff fluids. Front, rear, and t case. Im a punk ass 20 year old and all of that stuff was easy for me. I would also reccomend a brake flush but i am too pusswuss to do that myself, so there ya go. If you do the spark plugs dont use anti sieze and use ngk plugs. I prob missed a few things

9. May 14, 2020 at 10:47 AM
    ToyotaJim

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Okay, but what are those codes to?? @theBIGnaud

Pucks18 likes this.
  10. May 14, 2020 at 12:06 PM
    ToyotaJim

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Tundra2 and theBIGnaud[QUOTED] like this.
  11. May 15, 2020 at 9:09 AM
    KNABORES

KNABORES Sarcasm incoming

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 270k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 Cement Grey 75k miles
    2000: Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper 2019: ARE topper with full Bedrug kit and Vortex rack TRD shifter 1.25" wheel spacers (I like to live dangerously) Red tow hooks for that +15 grip bonus
    still have my original fuel filler cap......

Pucks18 likes this.
  12. May 15, 2020 at 9:14 AM
    Tundra2

Tundra2 Zoinked

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tundra V8 SR5 '03 Corolla Virus
    Same.

13. May 15, 2020 at 12:34 PM
    Pucks18

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Waste of money buying a new fuel cap if you dont need one.. save it for something that actually breaks

14. May 15, 2020 at 12:44 PM
    omgboost

omgboost The Accountant

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2012 Sequoia Platinum
    I would assume nothing was done and do everything.

15. May 15, 2020 at 1:03 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    A bad gas cap set off a CEL on me one time. Sent me into a Pucks Like Nervous Breakdown. Drove up to Autozoned and they said the code was the Charcoal Canister ($450 part). My High dolla Service Station said replace the cap ($8 aftermarket). Fixed it!

Ended up a year later buying a Denso Toy Cap for $23 just because it has the shmancy leash attachment to the gas door where the aftermarket didn’t. :D

Change your caps every 5 years! Same with rad caps. Cheap insurance.

16. May 15, 2020 at 1:16 PM
    Chip_Tundra

Chip_Tundra New Member

Member:
    If you're going to have the engine torn down for the water pump and timing belt, might as well have the front main seal changed. If the valve cover gaskets show signs of leaking, that too.

17. May 15, 2020 at 1:20 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    It did for me for many years. I just had no time and most of the stuff I trusted the shops to do, which for the most part they did well but some stuff they dropped the ball on or upsold me on unnecessary easy $$$ stuff.

What I’ve found lately is these shops are lacking quality service people. For instance: I maintain quite a few vehicles now and when they go in for State Inspections the stealers print out these multi-page report with pretty colors on them. Usually, they say change the brake fluid or coolant is old not knowing I just did that 2 months prior. This has happened on more than one occasion and I used to rip them for lying only to be offered a shithole ‘free’ car wash to make things better. :rofl:

Also, my truck rear wheel bearing has been serviced 4 times by two mechanics. I could do it and will if it fails again.

Good thing about our trucks is they can take some abuse and still keep ticking. I read somewhere they were built for 3rd World Conditions and believe it.

18. May 15, 2020 at 2:10 PM
    Pucks18

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lol

19. May 15, 2020 at 9:30 PM
    pock

pock New Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Access Cab 4.7L V8 4x4 SR5
    I had my valve cover gaskets replaced last week. Did not know about the front main seal

20. May 16, 2020 at 4:29 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    I’ve done my VC Gaskets before, but not the ‘main seal’ as you describe which I think for discussion purposes may be the the 2 cams seals and 1 output drive shaft seal. From what I understand, these are separate jobs and if yours aren’t leaking like then no worries. They can be replaced on a separate mission.

21. May 16, 2020 at 6:02 PM
    ToyotaJim

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    I would fairly rate my mechanical abilities about a 5 out of 10, and my equipment is basic (hand tools, ramps, jacks, etc.). I can get some more basic stuff like code readers, etc. Most complicated auto things I've done are brakes, plugs, wires, fluid changes. I've watched a lot of other things. I'm curious minded and want to learn and I'm a fast learner. Of course Youtube and various manuals help, and it's nice weather.

Thinking about all the things I need to do to my 4.7 4Runner and 4.7 Tundra, since they are very similar (not identical, some parts do not interchange apparently like plugs, but some do like oil filters - go figure), it's going to cost me at least a grand each for water pumps and timing belts installed parts and labor. I figure if I learn it and do it, it will be easy to do the 2nd one and also skills I should have.

So can others chime in and rate the level of difficulty and any special skills needed, or is it just paying attention and removing bolts and items, and then reversing with installation? As mentioned, if you're in there you may as well replace any and all wear parts including water pump, all seals, belts, etc.

Thoughts?

22. May 16, 2020 at 6:24 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    I’ve never done a Timing Belt, but have watched a few vids and seen some members here tackle them mostly with great success. The fails are the ones using cheap/bad parts or not tacking everything at one time only to have to go back and fix the pump.

I think the key for me, if I tackled this, is to remove the radiator so all that extra room opens up

I had a shop do my belt and water pump in 2012-13 and they put the old original radiator back on. It went south a year later and they replaced that for more$. Looking back that was a dangerous move with the known OEM rad problems of which I had no idea, nor the time to think out.

DIY in a few years, I’ll do everything new OEM between the front bumper and engine block next time, but thats me. Includes all new OEM sensors, cam/drive seals, belts, pumps, pulleys, tensioners, radiator, thermostat, hoses, fan clutch, alternator, steering pump, etc.

23. May 16, 2020 at 7:05 PM
    ToyotaJim

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim

I think that's where I'm at. Ordering all OEM parts, and then just doing all the labor and replacing all wear parts up front since it's all out anyway. And saving the old salvageable parts just in case of a urgent failure, maybe... don't know... still thinking on that one. But if it's all torn open it's smartest to replace stuff at where I'm at with 150-200k on the odometers. And it's a good learning lesson, too... like a "free" education. lol

24. May 17, 2020 at 6:33 AM
    Pucks18

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Seems like your good to go pretty much other than timing belt. U seem to be pretty set tbh man, just do those fluids and your set. What state do you live in?

25. May 17, 2020 at 7:01 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    Sounds like a good plan. All the money you are saving can justify just doing it all once and not having to go back in and change out an original alternator (pain!) 6 months later you didn’t do while it was all open. Just take your time and you’ll be fine. I use my local stealer parts dept as a reference when in a parts bind for little stuff. Costs more but they get it right and have it in stock or next day service.

ToyotaJim[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  26. May 17, 2020 at 7:22 AM
    Schcoman

Schcoman From behind the Redwood Curtain

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Humboldt Co. CA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Access Cab 4.7L V8 4x4 SR5
    None
    I bought a 2000 Access Cab a month ago and it suffers from the same gaps and lack of information in it's service history. No record of when the timing belt was last replaced. 223K miles on the truck, runs like silk...Tech at the dealer I purchased from said he inspected the timing belt, it still had lettering on it, and he expected it to last another 30K miles. I'm not so sure about that. I'm shopping parts right now and will be replacing it soon!

27. May 17, 2020 at 8:10 AM
    skunk

skunk New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2005 Maroon Tundra DC
    I wasn't aware of issues with the radiator, I have 128k on my truck that I just bought and am going to do the timing belt kit soon, should I look into replacing the radiator? I will search the forum for more info.

28. May 17, 2020 at 8:28 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    If its the original and you take it out to do TB, then I’d plan on getting a new one.

29. May 17, 2020 at 8:40 AM
    skunk

skunk New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2005 Maroon Tundra DC
    Ok, is this the type of thing I should expect to look for OEM for? My truck has some other parts on it that are Denso, I'm seeing them also on rockauto but not OEM. Wondering the same thing about the upper and lower hoses, looks like rockauto has Gates and a few other brands but not specifically OEM.

Thanks for your help.

30. May 17, 2020 at 8:54 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    Aisin Kit (OEM Toy source) all the way on the TB. Not sure who Toyota sources for their hoses, but I’d like to know. I’ve gone through Denso (OEM source) for my ignition coils at 50% less the price of Toyota Stealer. Using them again for my o2 Sensors.

Find out about the hoses and get back with us.

ToyotaJim[OP] and skunk[QUOTED] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top