1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help me beat a dead horse

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Paul B, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Jul 18, 2019 at 3:58 AM
    Paul B

Paul B [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tundra TRD Offroad
    Recently I installed a Rough Country 2.5-3" level lift kit. Overall it's a solid kit and does the job but I've quickly realized its not my final setup and will most likely be changing it up in the coming months.

Notes on my RC kit install:
    -Did not use any shims on either side so the driver's side is lower than the passenger side. DOH! If I'm gonna tear it out to put a shim, I might as well upgrade.
    -Installed 1.5" rear lift block-getting some shudder from the rear when coming to a stop.
    -Did not install the diff drop kit as truck only raised 2.5".

The truck now has .5 deg of positive camber on driver side and .9 deg of positive camber on passenger side, according to alignment spec sheet. I did buy the lifetime alignment from Firestone so I may take it back to see if they can reduce that, but in the meantime, I will search for a better setup.

Going forward I've learned and realized, the rear of the truck at factory height is very appealing to me. IF...IF I were to raise the rear again itd' be minimal...maybe 1". The front is all that needs to be raised (equally on both sides).

Would also like to improve ride quality rather than just match stock ride quality or taking away from stock. Also don't want to have any worries. Truck is brand new, so it deserves matching suspension that will last without issue for a long time. (spacer lift, IMO, is just temporary) -lesson learned

I will remove the rear 1.5" blocks once I figure out a better front suspension setup.

I'd like a FRONT-only kit that allows me to set the front of the truck so that both sides match without using shims (coilovers) and a non-spacer kit for adjustability. Easy adjustability is important so coilovers would fit that bill.

So now my dilemma/questions/beat dead horse...From the list below, which do you all think is the best front setup? Any way to see the differences and comparisons side by side?

Toytec Boss
    Toytec Boss 2.5 Aluma
    Fox 2.5
    Fox 2.0
    Icon 2.5

No need for external reservoirs. Just want adjustability and a nice ride to handle these awful NY roads and some minor offroad at the motocross track.

Then after that/with that, I'm thinking SPC Upper Control Arms for proper alignment. Harsh winters with salt it seems best to steer away from the uniball.

So long story short, what front coilovers do I go with to get the front sitting proper, slight lift to match factory rear.

thanks!

Paul B

MotoTundra, saybng and Black Wolf like this.
  2. Jul 18, 2019 at 4:57 AM
    jeremyd

jeremyd 2014 Crewmax SR5

Member:
    NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4X4
    ProComp 7" 35/12.50/18 -11
    I'm thinking an adjustable 5100 would work for you. But if you want to be able to adjust without removing anything then it will certainly cost more...

Paul B[OP] likes this.
  3. Jul 18, 2019 at 5:09 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Toytec Boss is quite popular here.

T-Rex266 and Paul B[OP] like this.
  4. Jul 18, 2019 at 5:54 AM
    Paul B

Paul B [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    I’m ok with paying more to be able to adjust without removing anything.

jeremyd[QUOTED] and Bigboitundra like this.
  5. Jul 18, 2019 at 6:37 AM
    texasrho83

texasrho83 DGAF#1

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Conroe TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC MGM 4x4
    See build link
    You can fully adjust the Foxes w/o removing them.

Paul B[QUOTED][OP] and monaco730 like this.
  6. Jul 18, 2019 at 7:57 AM
    TXTundra2722

TXTundra2722 Pipe Hitters Union

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra
  7. Jul 18, 2019 at 8:01 AM
    saybng

saybng Just a member.

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Ventura CA
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra 1794 CM in BLACK!
    Method Nv's, falken wildpeak 275.65.20 Dirty deeds exhaust, 5100's all around...nothin fancy.
    Also check out the Teraflex Falcon, a few guys have them on here..

Paul B[OP] likes this.
  8. Jul 18, 2019 at 8:37 AM
    monaco730

monaco730 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    16 Inferno Tundra
    Fox shocks, TRD Exhaust, TRD grill, TRD shift knob, weathertech floor/bed liners, ARE topper, FrontRunnerOutfitters cargo rack, Relentless cargo bars, color matched front bumper/side mirrors, fuel wheels, nitto RGs, K&N intake
    Fox/SPC

Paul B[OP] and texasrho83 like this.
  9. Jul 18, 2019 at 11:16 PM
    Paul B

Paul B [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    This is what I'm leaning toward.

Appreciate the feedback.

10. Jul 18, 2019 at 11:18 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
  11. Jul 18, 2019 at 11:23 PM
    Paul B

Paul B [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    yea boss. that's what I like.

15whtrd and T-Rex266[QUOTED] like this.
  12. Jul 18, 2019 at 11:46 PM
    Tundyfundy

Tundyfundy Petunia The Tundra, and her sidekick Colbie

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic Grey DC SR5 4x4 2016
    SUSPENSION: Bilstein 6112 coilover (1.9") w/ Powder Coated Springs and Spring Perch (TRD Red), JBA Upper Control Arms, Bilstein 5160's w/Billet Aluminium Reservoir Brackets, +2 Coachbuilder Shackles, Diff Drop Kit, Carrier Bearing Drop Kit, Brakeline Extensions, ABS Extension, Poly Bushings for Leafs, Coachbuilder Shims (2 Each Side), Coachbuilder Bumpstop Extensions, TRD Rear Sway Bar, TRD Front Sway Bar, Air Lift 5000 airbags w jounce bumpers, Daystar Airbag Cradles WHEELS AND TIRES: BF Goodrich KO2's 275/70/r18, BORA wheel spacers 1.25", TRD Wheel Caps,TRD Valve Stem Caps, Spare Tire Lock PERFORMANCE: Bullydog GT Tuner(Performance Tune), TRD Intake, TRD Dual Exhaust (with Modified Exhaust Hangers for Levelling Tail Pipe),TRD Brake Pads, TRD Oil Cap (US), TRD Radiator Cap, TRD Oil Filter, Optima Yellow Top Battery,GP Battery Distribution Blocks, StopTech Slotted Cryo Treated Rotors, Goodridge G-Stop Steel Braided Brake Line Kit PROTECTION: PNP Engineering Type 4 Rock Sliders (With Full Dimple Plate) ,ADD Stealth Fighter Rear Bumper w Red/Blk Shackles and Custom Stomp Pad, TRD Skid Plate with ReadyLift Spacer Kit, Victory 4x4 LCA Skid Plates, JOMAX ABS Sensor Armor, Rear Diff Breather Mod, ARK splash guards INTERIOR: Husky Liners X-Act (Front and Full Coverage Rear and Front Weather Beater Trans Hump), Interior LED Bulbs, WheelSkins Genuine Leather Steering Wheel Cover(EuroPerf), Clazzio Genuine Leather Seat Covers(BLK/DRK GRYwith custom stitching and embroidered headrests), Clazzio Seat Heaters (Front and Rear), Entune Startup Screen MOD, Entune Off Screen Mod, Tinted Windows with Windshield Visor, AJT Key Fobs,Eagle Claws Floor Mat Clips, Bodyglove Visor Organizer,Custom Door Cup Inserts, Glass Break Sensor,AJT Radio Knobs, Custom Dior Cup Inserts EXTERIOR: Full Debadge, LED Brake Light Bulbs, LED Rear Turns, LED Reverse, LED Plate Lights, LED Cargo Lights, LED Third Brake Lights, LED Front Marker Lights, LED Fog Light Bulbs, Lamin-X Fog Light Covers (Amber),2018 OEM LED Headlights, iHacker harness, VLED Universal Puddle Lights, VLED Interior Footwell Lighting (Front and Rear),VLED Extreme Amber Fornt Turns, NSV Knight Rider Light bar, Baja Designs Sport Squadron Pods in Rear Bumper (Driving/wide), Painted Red Tow-hooks, Bed Rail System, Blind Spot Mirrors, Hitch-safe, Tail-gate lock, EAG Raptor Grille, Custom Grille Badge,Full Vinyl Wrap (Matte Black/Matte Pine Green Mettalic), Charvonia Designs Tie Bed Tie-Downs, Bull Ring Bed Rail Anchors, Line-X, Tundra Bed Mat, Bakflip F1 Bed Cover SOUND: Noico 80Mil Sound Deadening and Noico 170 Mil Thermal Insulation (All 4 Doors, Roof, Floors, Rear Panel, Dash). Hertz Uno K170's Component Speakers (Front Doors with Upgraded Sail Panels), Hertz Uno K170 Coaxial Speakers (Rear Doors), JBL C1-075ct Tweeters (Total 4) in Side Dash and Center Speaker, JBL Stadium 5 Amp w/Remote Bass Adjustment Knob and Amp Rack, 12" Infinity Reference Subwoofer in Custom Enclosure w/ “TUNDRA” Logo, Fast Rings Foam Speaker Rings System(4 Doors), Fix 86 DSP
    Shutter is from not having carrier bearing drop with your leveling block.

Paul B[OP] likes this.
  13. Jul 18, 2019 at 11:55 PM
    Paul B

Paul B [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    Yea that's what I figured. Is it just because shit doesn't line up perfectly after a lift?

If I can get away from lifting the rear at all, I would prefer that.

For the future, any type of rear lift requires carrier bearing drop?

14. Jul 19, 2019 at 12:02 AM
    Tundyfundy

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    SUSPENSION: Bilstein 6112 coilover (1.9") w/ Powder Coated Springs and Spring Perch (TRD Red), JBA Upper Control Arms, Bilstein 5160's w/Billet Aluminium Reservoir Brackets, +2 Coachbuilder Shackles, Diff Drop Kit, Carrier Bearing Drop Kit, Brakeline Extensions, ABS Extension, Poly Bushings for Leafs, Coachbuilder Shims (2 Each Side), Coachbuilder Bumpstop Extensions, TRD Rear Sway Bar, TRD Front Sway Bar, Air Lift 5000 airbags w jounce bumpers, Daystar Airbag Cradles WHEELS AND TIRES: BF Goodrich KO2's 275/70/r18, BORA wheel spacers 1.25", TRD Wheel Caps,TRD Valve Stem Caps, Spare Tire Lock PERFORMANCE: Bullydog GT Tuner(Performance Tune), TRD Intake, TRD Dual Exhaust (with Modified Exhaust Hangers for Levelling Tail Pipe),TRD Brake Pads, TRD Oil Cap (US), TRD Radiator Cap, TRD Oil Filter, Optima Yellow Top Battery,GP Battery Distribution Blocks, StopTech Slotted Cryo Treated Rotors, Goodridge G-Stop Steel Braided Brake Line Kit PROTECTION: PNP Engineering Type 4 Rock Sliders (With Full Dimple Plate) ,ADD Stealth Fighter Rear Bumper w Red/Blk Shackles and Custom Stomp Pad, TRD Skid Plate with ReadyLift Spacer Kit, Victory 4x4 LCA Skid Plates, JOMAX ABS Sensor Armor, Rear Diff Breather Mod, ARK splash guards INTERIOR: Husky Liners X-Act (Front and Full Coverage Rear and Front Weather Beater Trans Hump), Interior LED Bulbs, WheelSkins Genuine Leather Steering Wheel Cover(EuroPerf), Clazzio Genuine Leather Seat Covers(BLK/DRK GRYwith custom stitching and embroidered headrests), Clazzio Seat Heaters (Front and Rear), Entune Startup Screen MOD, Entune Off Screen Mod, Tinted Windows with Windshield Visor, AJT Key Fobs,Eagle Claws Floor Mat Clips, Bodyglove Visor Organizer,Custom Door Cup Inserts, Glass Break Sensor,AJT Radio Knobs, Custom Dior Cup Inserts EXTERIOR: Full Debadge, LED Brake Light Bulbs, LED Rear Turns, LED Reverse, LED Plate Lights, LED Cargo Lights, LED Third Brake Lights, LED Front Marker Lights, LED Fog Light Bulbs, Lamin-X Fog Light Covers (Amber),2018 OEM LED Headlights, iHacker harness, VLED Universal Puddle Lights, VLED Interior Footwell Lighting (Front and Rear),VLED Extreme Amber Fornt Turns, NSV Knight Rider Light bar, Baja Designs Sport Squadron Pods in Rear Bumper (Driving/wide), Painted Red Tow-hooks, Bed Rail System, Blind Spot Mirrors, Hitch-safe, Tail-gate lock, EAG Raptor Grille, Custom Grille Badge,Full Vinyl Wrap (Matte Black/Matte Pine Green Mettalic), Charvonia Designs Tie Bed Tie-Downs, Bull Ring Bed Rail Anchors, Line-X, Tundra Bed Mat, Bakflip F1 Bed Cover SOUND: Noico 80Mil Sound Deadening and Noico 170 Mil Thermal Insulation (All 4 Doors, Roof, Floors, Rear Panel, Dash). Hertz Uno K170's Component Speakers (Front Doors with Upgraded Sail Panels), Hertz Uno K170 Coaxial Speakers (Rear Doors), JBL C1-075ct Tweeters (Total 4) in Side Dash and Center Speaker, JBL Stadium 5 Amp w/Remote Bass Adjustment Knob and Amp Rack, 12" Infinity Reference Subwoofer in Custom Enclosure w/ “TUNDRA” Logo, Fast Rings Foam Speaker Rings System(4 Doors), Fix 86 DSP
    For the most part. @Coachbuilder1 could help you out. It’s a cheap mod and will help your ride.

texasrho83 and Paul B[OP] like this.
  15. Jul 19, 2019 at 12:03 AM
    Tundyfundy

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    The rear lift changes your driveshaft angles.

texasrho83 likes this.
  16. Jul 19, 2019 at 12:49 AM
    Paul B

Paul B [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    Makes perfect sense.

Im going to get the front set up right, most likely with Fox and SPC UCA's, take the rear down to stock height and then go from there.

monaco730 and Tundyfundy[QUOTED] like this.
  17. Jul 19, 2019 at 6:27 AM
    monaco730

monaco730 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    16 Inferno Tundra
    Fox shocks, TRD Exhaust, TRD grill, TRD shift knob, weathertech floor/bed liners, ARE topper, FrontRunnerOutfitters cargo rack, Relentless cargo bars, color matched front bumper/side mirrors, fuel wheels, nitto RGs, K&N intake
    @xtyfighterx and I have these shackles. Super beefy and super cheap. We have fox 2.5 resi up front with fox 2.0 resi in back and have these shackles in the 2" option. Can't get a better deal than these. You'll wanna get the polyurethane bushing kit from coachbuilder.

https://proformfab.com/collections/...-2018-toyota-tundra-1-5-rear-lift-shackle-kit

https://shop-coachbuilder.myshopify...urethane-bushing-kit-rear-leaf-spring-eyelets

Tundyfundy likes this.
  18. Jul 19, 2019 at 6:41 AM
    texasrho83

texasrho83 DGAF#1

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Conroe TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC MGM 4x4
    See build link
    Those proform shackles don’t look much better than stock. CB shackles are the beefiest you can get and with the poly bushings you’ll ride like a dream.

15whtrd likes this.
  19. Jul 19, 2019 at 6:44 AM
    Tundyfundy

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    I’ll second this. When your investing in something that is holding your axle to your truck, you want to go with something people are using, and has been proven. Also the added beefyness of the coachbilders minimizes axle wrap and sway in the axle. It was a nice comfort upgrade to stock TRD suspension

AZTundra and texasrho83[QUOTED] like this.
  20. Jul 19, 2019 at 8:28 AM
    monaco730

monaco730 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    16 Inferno Tundra
    They are obviously not as beefy as coachbuilder shackles. I had the +2's but needed 2" and even the +3's dont give that so i got these and they have been great, especially paired with the poly bushings.

21. Jul 19, 2019 at 8:33 AM
    texasrho83

texasrho83 DGAF#1

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Conroe TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC MGM 4x4
    See build link
    You sure the +3 CB shackles don’t give you 2” lift?? @Coachbuilder1

22. Jul 19, 2019 at 8:35 AM
    monaco730

monaco730 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    16 Inferno Tundra
    +3's are 1.75"

15whtrd likes this.
  23. Jul 19, 2019 at 8:51 AM
    Marty McFly

Marty McFly Nobody calls me chicken!! Except when off roading

Member:
    First Name:
    Morty McBoonJug
    McBoonJug = McDonald’s and Moonshine in a Jug
    Vehicle:
    2016 StormTrooper Tundra CrewMax TRD PRO
    I’ll help

24. Jul 19, 2019 at 2:59 PM
    xtyfighterx

xtyfighterx New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Crewmax Mid Travel
    Mid travel fox 2.5 coilovers 2.0 real shocks shims 295 70 18 trail grapplers pro accessories 32in light bar blacked out bed cover sway bar Moto metal 970 18x9
    Proforms are at least triple what stock is. Beefier than toytec id say. Welds are great. Nothing else is really gonna matter other than steel thickness and welds on these shackles plus some good hardware.
    1EA83F4F-63FF-4CA1-88CC-D565DD327A8D.jpg

monaco730 likes this.
  25. Jul 19, 2019 at 3:19 PM
    texasrho83

texasrho83 DGAF#1

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Conroe TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC MGM 4x4
    See build link
    I’ve seen glass coke bottles thicker than Toytec’s shackles

26. Jul 19, 2019 at 3:28 PM
    Toyokuhl

Toyokuhl New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    aaron
    SWFL
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cav Blue CM OR
    I just purchased the 2.5 aluma from toytec and was told im the first out of state guy to purchase this kit. i was told only 3 other people were running it, locally to toytec!

im ecstatic for it. i was set on kings then that came out. i was also told the rear shocks in aluma will come out in about 6-8 months. i will switch from boss resis to that if all goes well

27. Jul 19, 2019 at 3:38 PM
    xtyfighterx

xtyfighterx New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Mid travel fox 2.5 coilovers 2.0 real shocks shims 295 70 18 trail grapplers pro accessories 32in light bar blacked out bed cover sway bar Moto metal 970 18x9
    I think you have no idea what you are talking about. And like sticking to the bandwagon. Until you have first hand experience I’d suggest not acting like you know everything. There’s honestly no need to have a shackle any thicker than what those pro form shackles are. I don’t see How you could break or bend those without having a total loss of a vehicle. Coachbuilder makes a great product I had some. Maybe the best. Not shooting him down in the slightest. But there’s other products out there for a fraction on the price that are safe and will get you the results you need.

28. Jul 19, 2019 at 3:48 PM
    texasrho83

texasrho83 DGAF#1

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Conroe TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC MGM 4x4
    See build link
    All I stated was what they look like to me. No need to get your panties in a wad over some ill-perceived negative judgment against your precious choice of shackle. I do what I do for my truck not because of a trend but for what I like and have researched on. The parts we put on these trucks aren’t cheap so I do plenty of reading before I commit. You’re out of line for the generalization all because you’re emotionally attached to the choice you’ve made.

29. Jul 19, 2019 at 3:53 PM
    xtyfighterx

xtyfighterx New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    North Idaho
    Vehicle:
    No because you provide negative and false info towards others researching.

Paul B[OP] likes this.
  30. Jul 19, 2019 at 3:54 PM
    texasrho83

texasrho83 DGAF#1

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Conroe TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC MGM 4x4
    See build link
    It’s called my opinion. You don’t have to agree with it as I don’t yours.

Products Discussed in

To Top