1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help- bakflip x4s install problems

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by usfdrohead, Oct 23, 2021.

1. Oct 23, 2021 at 2:43 AM
    usfdrohead

usfdrohead [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey guys, just received the backflip x4s for 2021 pro crew max. It’s been a nightmare to instal! I’ve installed other bak covers with no issues but this one, I’m just wondering if they sent me the wrong cover or something?

I have the deck rail system, removed them, and put on the new rail with the S brackets they provided. First issue- once the cover is put on the securely fastened rails, the tailgate won’t clear the cover, and it’s not even close the tailgate won’t even come close to closing. It’s like the weight of the cover causes the rails to sag. It’s not even close. Second issue, the cover should sit exactly at the end of the bulkhead, however it doesn’t. I have to slide it all the way up so it’s touching the cab.

I just took it off and it’s sitting my garage. Am I do something wrong? No idea how, you can’t really mess this up. The parts only go on one way.

2. Oct 23, 2021 at 3:06 AM
    Creepbam

Creepbam New Member

Member:
    I just installed my revolvers x4s and having the same issue of the cover touching the cab. It's the only way to get it to latch correctly and have the rails butted up against the cab inside.

3. Oct 23, 2021 at 3:13 AM
    usfdrohead

Member:
    Whoa. This can’t be right. It looks so stupid like this too. Is yours with the deck rails too? Also, do the end of your rails have a very sharp edge that extends an inch or two where the tailgate closes? Nothing about this seems right. Especially for $1,000. Not to mention I had to take it all off because the rails don’t clear the tailgate at all. The rails cleared it until I put the cover on.

4. Oct 23, 2021 at 3:16 AM
    Creepbam

Creepbam New Member

Member:
    I did not have bed rails from the factory so mine clamps to the lip of the bed. The edges are sharp also but do not extend into the tailgate. I had a mx4 on my Tacoma and had none of these issues. Are your rails pushed all the way up against the bed towards the cab?

5. Oct 23, 2021 at 3:23 AM
    usfdrohead

Member:
    Yea they are pushed all the way up as far as they can go. I just watched a tundra instal video and the cover fits perfectly. It’s not pushed up against the cab. When did you receive yours? I’m wondering if there is some kind of defect that we received.

I’ve also had these covers before and they fit perfectly. I knew immediately that something was not right with the fitment . I feel like either the rails or the cover are too long, or both. I’ll be calling them first thing Monday morning.

when you get a moment can you post a pic of where your rails end?

6. Oct 23, 2021 at 3:25 AM
    Creepbam

Creepbam New Member

Member:
    I received mine Thursday. Mine mates up to the tailgate perfect, it's just the extra inch of seal hanging towards the cab. Looks bad but offers better water protection!

7. Oct 23, 2021 at 3:31 AM
    usfdrohead

Member:
    I see ok, that’s how mine is too. Hmm so for me I need to figure out why the rails sag too low not allowing the tailgate to close then. Driving me insane lol.

8. Oct 23, 2021 at 3:41 AM
    Creepbam

Creepbam New Member

Member:
    I do notice if you over tighten the claimps it'll pull the rails down. I remember there being something about shims in the manual also.

9. Oct 23, 2021 at 12:15 PM
    usfdrohead

Member:
    I gave up took it off and boxed it up. I’ll call shit flip on Monday. What a waste of a grand

10. Oct 25, 2021 at 7:55 PM
    BhamDadTundra

BhamDadTundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 MGM Tundra CM SR5
    I too just received and installed mine this month and had way more over hang than I would have thought. My buddy has one on his Sierra I need to text him and see if his does the same. I have thought about calling and asking about it, but I too thought that it kinda offers better weather resistance. Not sure how it will age, but has a long warranty. Besides the over hang, mine fit perfect after a few adjustments with no sag. So I am afraid to call to get a new one because I think they make you destroy this one first and I worry what if it’s worse problems than extra overhang when I get the new one. You can see it lined up perfectly with the tailgate which closes no problem. Other than the overhang I have been very happy with it. Traveled on city and interstate with it open and closed no problem. Added tailgate seal so we’ll see how water tight it is over time.

6282D1F1-EF85-4D2B-BB7C-C0D0530A08A4.jpg
    8748310F-9E0F-4DBF-A0B3-1464275B52A5.jpg
    DA2B2D51-E6B9-439B-9715-2C36633DD247.jpg

11. Oct 25, 2021 at 8:05 PM
    usfdrohead

Member:
    Oh yea that’s how mine sat. Looks terrible imo but I would have let it go except it sagged so bad that the tailgate was about a quarter higher than the cover. Wasn’t even close to being able to close. I tried everything to get it right and just wouldn’t sit right so I processed a return today. Just gonna have them send me the tri flip. I trust the clamps much more than the S bracket things.

12. Oct 26, 2021 at 3:14 AM
    BhamDadTundra

BhamDadTundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 MGM Tundra CM SR5
    yeah it definitely looks terrible but it’s not touching the cab fortunately so I decided I could move past it. I’m sure you’ll love the flip my brother in law loves his. Hate that you had such a bad experience. I loved the s brackets because they just bolt in and sat exactly where they were supposed to mine. Even painted mine black to blend in better haha why make the whole cover black and not just make the brackets black while they’re at it. I didn’t even put the cab protection bumpers on because of how it sits it would never touch the cab you’d have to force it and it would be broken haha.

I had the extang solid fold 2.0 on my last truck and it never flew off but the clamps would definitely loosen over time. But in think the bakflip clamps are different. Could use some loctite blue.

08E53A50-2199-4F19-9578-57DC82AF554E.jpg
    8AF93F1B-63CE-4DA6-B1AC-BD25EB74C7DE.jpg
    BFC595B9-726C-4547-8044-E52A40DE267F.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top