1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hello! rookie/newb

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by markgt531, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Sep 8, 2016 at 11:30 PM
    markgt531

markgt531 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Hey all,
    new guy here, i dont have a tundra but in the market for one. all i know for now is id like a crew max liters dont matter. I own a 05 tacoma x-runner, 92 sc300, 08 honda fit (daily lol) not new to the car scene but looking to gain more knowledge about tundras so i know what to look for when the time comes to purchase one. -mark

T-Rex266 likes this.
  2. Sep 9, 2016 at 3:32 AM
    George14

George14 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra SR5 Dc TRD Off Road 5.7L with tow package
    None
    Welcome to the fourm lots of great info here

3. Sep 9, 2016 at 3:57 AM
    CaptTyler

CaptTyler Life’s too short to have an ugly boat.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Ram 2500 Cummins
    Welcome to the site!

4. Sep 9, 2016 at 5:16 AM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Welcome from CO.

5. Sep 9, 2016 at 9:15 AM
    Law323

Law323 it’s only weird if you make it weird

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    Welcome from TN! It all depends on what you'll be using the tundy for.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  6. Sep 9, 2016 at 11:08 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Welcome from CO! What years were you considering so we can better assist you with your questions.

7. Sep 9, 2016 at 3:34 PM
    markgt531

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    thanks for the welcome all !

8. Sep 9, 2016 at 3:36 PM
    markgt531

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    thanks for the welcome!, not sure at the moment maybe ill still keep my fit as a spare or so. Mainly i want to use the tundra for towing (not all the time)and i need something for the snow and road trips. i looked at the double cab tacoma and i just like the room of the tundra and tow capacity (just incase i need to tow more than what tacoma can pull)

zcarpenter92 likes this.
  9. Sep 9, 2016 at 3:40 PM
    markgt531

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Thanks!, im looking for 2nd gens mainly i like the 3rd gens as well but i dont think my pockets like the price lol but it all depends. so far i like the one with sunroof (still searching what trim thats on but then again it can always be a package so ill keep my eye out for it) i do like the brownish/cinnamon (i apologize if i didnt call it the correct color) interior but its not a big deal. a base wouldnt be too bad for me since i tinker alot and have itchy fingers that cant keep still lol

10. Sep 9, 2016 at 3:41 PM
    markgt531

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Thanks!, id say mainly towing my sc300 and or the xrunner when need be, nice long comfy road trips, def for snow lol since im on the east coast and other misc....... and or just a big bro for my tacoma x-runner lol

Law323[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Sep 9, 2016 at 4:18 PM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    I'd say definitely a 5.7 L with the tow package. 4x4 for snow and trailblazing with the camper (but be warned 4x4 has lower towing capabilities than a 2wd) so I'd check up on the numbers myself and go from there.
    Get some AT tires, maybe some bilsteins for the front and airbags for the rear (to prevent squat when towing). That should set you up nicely!

12. Sep 9, 2016 at 4:48 PM
    markgt531

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    yeh def thinking of going with the 5.7, correct me if im wrong i read somewhere that a DC tundra can tow 10,300lbs while crew max is rated at 10,100lbs not sure if that DC is a 2wd tho,. thanks for the info i def kept that rear air bags to assist on squats they fairly easy to install as well, i have it on my X-runner but modified the brackets since i wanted to sit the truck low lol

Law323[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Sep 9, 2016 at 5:25 PM
    Law323

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    ^^^^ Ron said it all!

Make sure the truck you get doesn't have P rated tires! I made that mistake when I bought mine. They had brand new stock Bridgestone duelers. I'm sure they're good tires but on a half ton truck, they suck! Even more so when you tow! These were my tires at about 28K miles. Not that the shoulders weren't indication enough!!

image.jpg

14. Sep 9, 2016 at 6:15 PM
    markgt531

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    daymmM wow!

15. Sep 9, 2016 at 6:29 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    Welcome to Tundras, I think you picked a good forum! I agree with the guys, 5.7, if you like the room of the Tundra and bed space isn't important, go with the CrewMax. It's no surprise the we get bad MPG so if your daily commute is a distance it is nice to have a commuter. Good luck shopping for the one!

16. Sep 9, 2016 at 6:35 PM
    markgt531

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Thanks! yeh my commute to work isnt bad 20min highway. i got 2 more months left on my fit (bought used). The more i dig for info about tundra the more i want it. i do like the features on the 2016 esp the 38gal which would come in handy on long trips. the def requirements im def sure of is Crewcab 5.7 lol i think ill start there lol

17. Sep 9, 2016 at 7:19 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    Just like Tacoma's, they hold their value so well. I initially planned on buying used, then certified, then realized I was better off going new. Spent more than I wanted though.

Whichever you go with, if it's a Tundra I'm confident you will love it.

Products Discussed in

To Top