1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Heavy oxidization, paint failure, and rattle can

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Ckatz53, May 27, 2020.

1. May 27, 2020 at 7:54 AM
    Ckatz53

Ckatz53 [OP] Newish

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement Tundra CM Limited 4x4
    www.fouroneodetailing.com
    Got a dilemma. We have an old K9 truck turned lodge vehicle for hauling around a catering trailer for FOP events. The truck (2013 Tahoe) was primarily a pool car for multiple cops for years, so you can imagine how trashed it is.

The roof is heavily oxidized and yellowing in spots. Closer inspection leads me to believe it had clearcoat failure and the old K9 guys just resprayed it white in those areas (overspray on trim, some on the rear hatch light bar, etc).

I brought some mild clay and was able to remove some of the yellowing, but it was a very MINIMAL change.

Basically told the guy short of a repaint, I dont think itll reach the expectations you're wanting.

Dropping some pics for the more knowledgeable folks here to weigh in if my conclusion is right or if theres a fix.

The grey ticks you see will not come off with a mild clay. It appears as if it is primer coming through. Was going to test spot some cleaner wax next. You can scratch the paint with your fingernail with moderate pressure.

Tagging folks that know more than me for some help

@War Machine
    @Pudge
    @briarpatch

20200526_161411.jpg 20200526_161420.jpg 20200526_161425.jpg

2. May 27, 2020 at 8:29 AM
    briarpatch

briarpatch New Member

Member:
    I'm a little skeptical that you could make a lot of progress on that roof. If it were mine, I'd either get it repainted or wrapped

3. May 27, 2020 at 8:40 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Yeah, I’d be shocked if you could do much. Even a slight improvement would be a lot of work.

4. May 27, 2020 at 9:33 AM
    Pudge

Pudge Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    I'd have it wrapped. Its done :(

5. May 27, 2020 at 9:51 AM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    If that were factory paint or professional repaint, I would say to try compounding a small area to test. That might reduce the "not too ugly" distance to maybe 10'. If that's rattle can paint as you suspect, compounding would quickly become an obviously unwise waste of time. The cheapest solution will probably be to invest some labor into a light scuff and apply a new rattle can coat. The more expensive solution with least labor invested by owner(s) would be a professional wrap.

6. May 27, 2020 at 11:03 AM
    Ckatz53

Ckatz53 [OP] Newish

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    Sounds to be the same conclusion I came to. It's a county police vehicle so it is what it is. Doubt the county will pay to paint. I'll just have them wrap it, was in the plans anyways. Thanks folks.

7. May 27, 2020 at 11:15 AM
    Ericbike6

Ericbike6 So we're doing this shit today?

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD 4X4 sport
    Air bags, ARK liners, misc bullshit added also
    Not sure I would want to wrap that roof, the paint is starting to come up from the primer it looks like. The vinyl would be adhering to bad paint that is coming up already. I doubt that the wrap would properly adhere to that paint. I would think it would need a repaint before any one would want to wrap it.

8. May 27, 2020 at 11:26 AM
    Ckatz53

Ckatz53 [OP] Newish

Member:
    MD
    Vehicle:
    If it came to a wrap, I'd just get them to sand it down, primer at minimum, then wrap.

Products Discussed in

To Top