1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Heating problems

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by Diamonddan37, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Apr 2, 2020 at 4:57 AM
    Diamonddan37

Diamonddan37 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota tundra 5.7
    New to the group. Replaced my water pump and tstat on my 08 tundra 5.7 and now I have luke warm heat on the driver's and warmer on passengers side side while driving and when at idle it blows cool air. Any thoughts?

2. Apr 2, 2020 at 4:59 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Probably air in the system still. Try parking the truck on an incline and burping the system again with the heater on.

P-Factor likes this.
  3. Apr 2, 2020 at 9:12 AM
    Diamonddan37

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota tundra 5.7
    Ok but what is the best way to burp the system?

4. Apr 2, 2020 at 9:25 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Remove the radiator cap and massage the hoses. I personally have a funnel that fits perfectly snug into the radiator opening. That way I can squeeze the hose without losing coolant when it bubbles. Have the truck running and keep an eye on the temp. Massage the lower and upper radiator hoses.

5. Apr 2, 2020 at 9:42 AM
    Diamonddan37

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota tundra 5.7
    Thanks, I will try that after work today

6. Apr 2, 2020 at 10:01 AM
    blackdemon_tt

blackdemon_tt Battery Slayer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 5.7l Tundra DC SR5 long bed 2wd
    TRD Sway Bar, Roll covers USA bed cover
    I'm, you might want to keep your hands to yourself... lol... I would suggest you fill up the system with coolant and semi open the radiator to pressure release and turn the truck on with heat at max. I'm not sure if theres any other pressure release valve. Fill coolant drain through expansion tank as required... observe the operating temperature, if it starts to overheat turn it off give it 20 minutes to cool down and start over.

I've done this procedure in my smaller toyota but has a butterfly release valve which helps burp the system...

7. Apr 2, 2020 at 2:23 PM
    Dr_Al

Dr_Al New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    The heater core fluid also goes to the transmission. I'm not sure if it would have a bubble of air in it for long once the water pump starts turning.

8. Apr 2, 2020 at 3:31 PM
    Diamonddan37

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota tundra 5.7
    Ok so I drove it home from work 40 minutes let it set for 15 to 20 to cool enough to remove the cap I cut a funnel to fit snug in the radiator started the truck backup and massage both upper and lower hoses for at least a half hour while the truck was running with very few bubbles but my bottom radiator hose is still cold it's not even warm to the touch my upper hose is very hot and both my supply and return hoses out of the heater core are hot. The supply I believe very hot in the return a little cooler from the heater core. Blowing cool air on the driver side and lukewarm air on the passenger side. I am stumped and my mechanic is stumped.

9. Apr 2, 2020 at 3:57 PM
    Dr_Al

Dr_Al New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    One thing you could try is to drain the system and use a hose to push water in reverse through the system just to see if there's something obstructing the heater core. Otherwise I would say it's an electronic problem and the system isn't moving the doors in the heater correctly. Possibly a Toyota dealer could reset the system (I've seen the option in TechStream but never used it).

10. Apr 2, 2020 at 4:10 PM
    Diamonddan37

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota tundra 5.7
    Thank you I have already did a reverse flush on the heater core a couple of times and has not changed but I will contact Toyota tomorrow and see about the reset that you are talkin about did not know that it was an option

11. Apr 2, 2020 at 4:14 PM
    Dr_Al

Dr_Al New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Keep us updated. What brand water pump did you buy? Did you compare it to the old one coming out? I'm wondering if the flow isn't as strong as it should be. I can't see how the belt could be put on wrong or the hoses incorrectly installed causing the flow to be going the wrong direction.

12. Apr 2, 2020 at 5:12 PM
    Diamonddan37

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota tundra 5.7
    Whatever Toyota provided me

13. Apr 3, 2020 at 7:45 AM
    Diamonddan37

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota tundra 5.7
    Just got off the phone with Toyota and there is no reset for any of the heater box dampers he said it sounds like there's still air in the system. The tech at Toyota told me to bring it in and they could look at it for $135 an hour to try and figure out the problem

Products Discussed in

To Top