1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Handheld GPS for Hunting

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by zcarpenter92, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Oct 7, 2019 at 11:44 AM
    zcarpenter92

zcarpenter92 [OP] Yotas and Yellow Jackets

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    NE Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2008 Desert Sand 5.7L DC
    In sig
    Hey all,

Am looking at getting a handheld GPS ahead of hunting season, for mapping kill sites, spots to hunt on, etc. Part of this is due to the new CWD testing rules in my area, and part is due to me just expanding my kit. My mind’s kind of swimming with the million plus options available, so what do you guys and gals use and what do you like about yours? I’d like to keep the cost below $500, but if there’s a good one higher than that, I’d be open to it.

2. Oct 7, 2019 at 11:50 AM
    DividedSky

DividedSky New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    '18 Crewmax - ADS Mid Travel
    ADS 2.5's (rear bypass) U748 Leaf Springs
    Use a cell phone with GAIA GPS.... If needed, pair with a external Bluetooth GPS device like Bad-Elf. Now your cost is WAY lower. Around $150

https://bad-elf.com/pages/be-gps-2200-detail

To me, the best parts of this setup is that:

1) ALL of the devices in my vehicle can use a common GPS receiver for continuity
    2) ALL of my devices use GAIA, so a map I create on my PC will automatically update on my phone AND on my iPad

3. Oct 7, 2019 at 12:16 PM
    zcarpenter92

zcarpenter92 [OP] Yotas and Yellow Jackets

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    NE Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2008 Desert Sand 5.7L DC
    In sig
    If I run GAIA on my phone, will it still be useable for navigating and positioning in areas without cell reception? Also, wouldn’t I need to attach the GPS receiver to my person while stalking game on foot? Part of the reason I’m thinking handheld is because the separate receivers I’ve looked at in the past need a power source, and I don’t want to have to carry a separate power bank and run a cord to it while walking.

4. Oct 7, 2019 at 12:31 PM
    Grumpy Uncle

Grumpy Uncle Pushing string down the hall SSEM #10

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black CM Tundra TRD Off Road
    4:88s and Auburn LSD, dealership faux Pro, 35" BFGs on XD wheels, OME Lift with Dakars
    I can tell you that the Garmin Etrex did very well in Iraq years ago. I even used one on Ft.Carson quite frequently back in the day. If I buy one it will probably be an Etrex. I'm sure there are better, I just know what worked for us/me.

AA or AAA batteries.
    Micro SDs for maps
    Updateable
    Rugged
    Somewhat waterproof
    Dont need to be cartographer to use it.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  5. Oct 7, 2019 at 12:36 PM
    jewsNbrews

jewsNbrews SSEM #8 level 3, RGBA #5 lab tested lab approved

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Jewiston Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD PRO
    Bolt on
    :popcorn:researching as well, subd

6. Oct 7, 2019 at 12:53 PM
    Medic343

Medic343 5+4+3=2

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    '22 SR5 TRD off-road
    Garmin makes some great products. There big touch screens products like the Montana are nice but hard to use when you have a decent set of gloves on your hands. I've heard good things about their non touch screen versions like eTrex.

I have since gotten rid of all those products and just subscribe to OnX hunt maps. $30 bucks a year and I use my phone. You can download the area you'll be hunting for offline use and it will still track all your movements and way points using the phones memory and GPS. Any e-scouting you do from home on a computer for laptop before the hunt automatically moves over to the mobile app.

7. Oct 7, 2019 at 12:54 PM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    I’ve run Gaia and Topo Maps. Both are okay but Gaia i is constantly trying to up sell services.

My preferred app is MapOut. All three work without cell service as long as you have down loaded the area you need in advance. For a none phone system, I’ve got this garmin “Oregon”,
    you can download regional maps (PNW is 3 states), and swap out the micro card. Nicest thing about this garmin, is the camera that automatically geotags the picture and places a marker on your trail.
    E138FD6F-291F-4F27-8B7D-CACF9B0539FA.jpg

I added a signal booster for when the phone or iPad mini is on my dashboard.

jewsNbrews likes this.
  8. Oct 7, 2019 at 12:55 PM
    abomb60

abomb60 Maker of things

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra 1794 MGM
    I use Gaia GPS or Motion-X GPS for hiking and both work great. Cell service isn't an issue with either as you can download the maps for the area you will be in before venturing out. Both allow you to tag areas with position, photo's, etc and do everything a standalone GPS will do. Just about any cellular enabled device today has a GPS chipset so you should be good there.

However I also believe in redundancy so I do always carry a map of the area, both a lensatic & orienteering compass as well as the appropriate UTM tools to figure out where I am. Also if you haven't learned UTM or MGRS positioning systems yet do it. Lat/Long is useless for land navigation by foot and just ends up pissing you off.

And since 2 is 1 I also carry a Garmin InReach as a backup to my backup. My version doesn't have the maps built in but will communicate with my phone over bluetooth and I get the maps on the phone. It gives me text-messaging, position tracking, SOS and will give me my exact coordinates anywhere on the planet without the phone. Yeah it's $24 bucks a month for the subscription but if something happens and i'm alone it's a cheap insurance policy. I've been on enough SAR callouts to know not to go into the woods or mountains unprepared!

zcarpenter92[OP] likes this.
  9. Oct 7, 2019 at 12:58 PM
    gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Wyoming

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2014 trd silver tundra
    6" lift, bumper and winch.
    GAIA GPS works offline. You download maps when you have WiFi and the app does the rest. Don’t need a separate receiver. I paid 20$ for the app and have used it on my iPhone and iPad (. Both have GPS receivers built in) all over NW Wyoming, Idaho & S Utah with zero issues.

10. Oct 7, 2019 at 12:58 PM
    gosolo

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    Nice system, but for me, I avoid subscriptions like the plague.

11. Oct 7, 2019 at 1:04 PM
    Jrharvey02

Jrharvey02 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra CM 5.7 Platinum Dark Black
    I second GAIA...works flawlessly on a cell phone without cell service. Just went up to New York to visit family and my bro-in-law was using it as we scouted the Adirondacks...

12. Oct 7, 2019 at 1:12 PM
    DividedSky

DividedSky New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    Yes... The GAIA on your phone will be accessible offline (when no cell reception is available). Just go into the app and download the map for the area you will be in. I can download a 400sq mile area (20x20 miles) with satellite imagery quite easily and down to a VERY detailed resolution (individual trees and shrubs). If you just use a topo map, it will take up maybe 1/4 the space needed for satellite imagery.

You will have to attach the Bad-Elf to your person, but this thing is tiny (3.2oz) and it will operate for 16hrs on a single charge. I'm sure that you will have the ability to re-charge back at base-camp every night, so really that is all you need. You can even mark tracks/waypoints without it being connected to your phone.
    [​IMG]

The beauty of it is that it is a handheld just like any Garmin etc. but without having to pay for a screen. Just use the screen you already have on your cell phone!!
    Plus, GAIA etc. will have much more frequent updates than a stand-alone unit and ANY device you use will have ALL of your info (tracks/waypoints) synced up.

13. Oct 7, 2019 at 1:16 PM
    gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Wyoming

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2014 trd silver tundra
    6" lift, bumper and winch.
    Why do you need the bad elf ?

Jrharvey02 likes this.
  14. Oct 7, 2019 at 1:16 PM
    DividedSky

DividedSky New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    Motion-X is also a nice product. That is what I used initially. I would plan out my route on Google-Earth (the download version, not the website version) and then convert my KML to GPX and email the file to my phone... then open in Motion-X.

15. Oct 7, 2019 at 1:19 PM
    DividedSky

DividedSky New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:

I initially got it because I use a non-cellular iPad for offroading/overlanding and it doesn't have a GPS chip. I still use it with my phone though bc I find it to be more accurate and reliable.

16. Oct 7, 2019 at 1:22 PM
    MARanger

MARanger Lost in the woods

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Home of Friendly's Ice Cream
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White SR5 DC 4X4
    K&N Air Filter, Diamondback cover, Bumper Shells
    For non phone based, I’ve been using the Garmin GPSMAP64st for the past 4 years. I know they just released a new model, so you might be able to pick one of these up cheap. It’s done everything I’ve asked of it. TOPO maps generally suck for MA, so I don’t bother with cards to expand the preloaded info. I use it for hunting, but also marking trails and boundaries at work.

BC37430C-E6F0-411D-BB60-C2D5E2939C55.jpg

17. Oct 27, 2019 at 2:19 PM
    Glockmeister

Glockmeister New Member

Member:
    North of the summer hell
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 Crewmax SR5 4X4 TRD
    ^^^THIS^^^
    Simple is good. If you’re looking for a backup to your phone or separate from your phone, get the most basic Etrex they make.
    I keep my phone battery for emergencies, not to use as a GPS. You could be on the phone for an hour in the sticks trying to guide someone in to you. Not the time to need a recharge.

Marking waypoints, tracks, topo map, etc. is what is really needed for hunting. Most of the other crap that’s loaded into the high end units is just too much clutter. Even the basic Etrex has stuff you will probably never use.

Grumpy Uncle[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Oct 27, 2019 at 2:38 PM
    Devildog183

Devildog183 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Limited CM 4x4 2007 SR5 DC 4x4
    aperezsh and Grumpy Uncle like this.
  19. Nov 20, 2019 at 9:07 PM
    gosolo

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Curious to know what you have decided on

jewsNbrews[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Nov 20, 2019 at 9:29 PM
    jewsNbrews

jewsNbrews SSEM #8 level 3, RGBA #5 lab tested lab approved

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Jewiston Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD PRO
    Bolt on
    Taken the back burner for the holidays. Revisit soon.

21. Nov 20, 2019 at 9:32 PM
    theraven

theraven New Member

Member:
    Central AZ
    Vehicle:
    16 DC / KI7LWX
    Icon 2.5 cdc front and rear. MCM UCA's, RXT rear leafs , wheelers bump stops, Icon hydrolic Bump stops, Icon six speed 17x8.5 w/35x12.5R17 Nitto Ridge grapplers, A.R.E. CX,, Smittybilt Gen2 12k synthetic on SSBuilt Front bumper, factor 55 fair lead, factor 55 flat link-E, SSBuilt high clearance rear with S2Pro, BD squadron pro fogs and side lights, BD 40" Onx6 behind the grill on SDHQ mount, BD XL80's on SDHQ a pillar/ hood mounts. Switch pros 9100, SDHQ panel mount and SDHQ under hood mount. Pro Grill, SDHQ ABS guards, P&P Sliders, Full RCI skids. Kenwood TM-V71a, Dual GPS antenna, Rago dash mount, WE Boost inreach
    Gaia pro gps
    Worth every penny

gladecreekwy and jewsNbrews like this.
  22. Dec 30, 2019 at 9:18 PM
    choover567

choover567 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tundra Crewmax
    My Dad has two Garmin Rinos, they are really nice but really expensive. I bought a Garmin Fenix 5x watch and I used it a lot this year. I'd start a hike and it would map my GPS tracks/location as I moved around. When I got lost I'd just look at my watch and head back to where my tracks started. Was super nice! Uploads all your hikes to your phone and Garmin app too.

Products Discussed in

To Top