1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Grabbing when turning while reversing?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by AdamK, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Mar 24, 2021 at 9:21 PM
    AdamK

AdamK [OP] New Member

Member:
    Wondering if this is a known or common occurrence after installing spacers?

Since installing 1” spacers all around, only when reversing, while turning, a sound like rubber grabbing pavement emanates from the front of the truck. This is accompanied by a slight shudder. It happens turning left or right, but only while reversing. This never happened prior to installing spacers.

I wouldn’t think that 1” spacers would affect the geometry “that much” but I can’t attribute it to anything else.

I’ve had the truck in and out of 4H with no issues, weird noises, etc - thinking at first it might have been a transfer case problem, some sort of shaft or u-joint issue, etc.

The truck runs straight a true when cruising down the highway - no apparent alignment issues.

It’s a gen 2 RCSB on stock alloys with K02’s.

I’ve learned to adjust my driving style to work around the problem, if it’s even a problem, I’d still like to understand what could be going on.

2. Mar 24, 2021 at 10:46 PM
    OnespeedTRD

OnespeedTRD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Limited TRD Off-Road
    275/70r18 Cooper AT3 XLT on SCS Ray 10s, Eibach Coilovers, DD 12" Exhaust, AJT Blackout Kit, Truxedo Pro X15, paint match/chrome delete.
    Are you sure your tires aren't rubbing somewhere? With spacers pushing the wheels out your most likely place to rub is the back of the fender liner. Reversing and turning can cause rubbing as well. I get a little rub in the same situation with 275/70 tires on +25 offset wheels, which is about where your stock wheels would be with 1" spacers. What size tires are you running?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  3. Mar 24, 2021 at 11:05 PM
    typerlegend

typerlegend Will work for Mods

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SoCal, North Orange County
    Vehicle:
    2020 Super White Tundra SR5 TRD Sport
    Kicker sound system. Kings 2.5 Adjustables Total Chaos UCA Total Chaos 3/4' Rear Shackles 17' Methods 703s KO2 35/12.5/17 Baja Design Amber Squadron Sport Fogs
    When you reverse, it pushes the front wheels up. Rubbing happens when you run bigger wheels and tires. Should be rubbing wheel liners.

4. Mar 25, 2021 at 5:49 PM
    AdamK

AdamK [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for that - well, rookie move on me - for all the times I’ve searched and inspected for signs of rubbing, and never once noticed, that is exactly what happening.

Only when reversing and turning at just right angle on a flat surface, the outside of the tire is just kissing the small mud flap that hangs of the front of the liner.

For the record, 285/70 R18’s K02’s with 1” spacers will rub (barely) on a leveled 4WD gen 2.

5. Mar 25, 2021 at 9:37 PM
    OnespeedTRD

OnespeedTRD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Limited TRD Off-Road
    275/70r18 Cooper AT3 XLT on SCS Ray 10s, Eibach Coilovers, DD 12" Exhaust, AJT Blackout Kit, Truxedo Pro X15, paint match/chrome delete.

Yeah, I don't even know what that little front flap is for. Mine are in a box in the garage.
    You can remove that flap for a little more room, and if that doesn't work some folks have actually unbolted the liner and pushed it in further and then retapped and reattached it. You can get probably an extra 1/2" doing that, which should be plenty.
    Either way, at least you know what it is now and its nothing major.

Products Discussed in

To Top