1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Got my first ding today....

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2014+)' started by RowdyRon, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Sep 6, 2016 at 1:38 PM
    RowdyRon

RowdyRon [OP] Not too old to play

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2015 Radiant Red TSS Doublecab 4X4 Off Road
    Deck rail system, Bed divider, door sill protectors, LED reverse light bars, Aries Bull Bar with 28" 180 watt LED light bar, LED step lights, LED bed lights, driver-side grab handle, TRD Rear Sway Bar, BedRug bed mat and tailgate mat, Morimoto Fog Lights, more to come.....
    Courtesy of a dump truck. Threw up a rock and bounced off my hood, chipping it down to the bare metal, and cracking my windshield. Had SafeLite come out and repair the windshield but you can still see where it is cracked. Time to get the old touch-up paint out and start filling in the chip...:(

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    matluth likes this.
  2. Sep 6, 2016 at 1:55 PM
    ToyotaTundraMike

ToyotaTundraMike Not A New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    My condolences Ron. On the bright side, the first one is always the worst (there's a joke in there somewhere).

3. Sep 6, 2016 at 2:29 PM
    RowdyRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Deck rail system, Bed divider, door sill protectors, LED reverse light bars, Aries Bull Bar with 28" 180 watt LED light bar, LED step lights, LED bed lights, driver-side grab handle, TRD Rear Sway Bar, BedRug bed mat and tailgate mat, Morimoto Fog Lights, more to come.....
    Thanks, Mike! Had to happen some time but just hate to see my pride and joy dinged up.

4. Sep 6, 2016 at 2:32 PM
    joonbug

joonbug mmmm.....bacon...

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    Dublin CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra DC 5.7 TRD off-road
    That sucks balls. Sorry Ron. Same thing just happened to me about a month ago. Big rig spit a rock at me and chipped my windshield. 2 days later got my first door ding in a parking lot. I'm that guy that parks all by himself at the end of the parking lot. The one time I park next to other cars, just to run in and pick up my daughter, I get a ding. Wasn't even gone for 5 minutes. Anyways, I was going to have Safelite repair my crack too. How good of a job did they do? Any pictures? Mine looks like a spider about the size of a quarter. Do you recommend them or should I just replace the windshield?

RowdyRon likes this.
  5. Sep 6, 2016 at 2:55 PM
    Law323

Law323 Pray for peace, prepare for war

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    3" Rough Country Level lift (front) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae Upcoming: LED backup lights/cargo lights OEM Backup camera Raceline Raptor? 18x9 wheels ICI magnum step bars TRD sway bar Toytec BOSS 3" suspension lift Trifold or roll up tonneau cover Tow mirrors????
    Oh man, Ron that sucks!! Have about 5 dings and two cracks in the windshield courtesy of idiots around me and two of them were my own fault.
    Never fails. No matter how small it is, it still makes you sick to your stomach!!

Touch it up and get some paintless ding removal work done. After, grab a brew and call it a day! LOL

RowdyRon likes this.
  6. Sep 6, 2016 at 2:57 PM
    AnonVet

AnonVet New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Canyon Country
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra SR5 CM Lifted and Leveled
    3in Level, Bilstein Shocks, 33x18x9.5 M/T's, murdered out and debadged, LED's all around, and some other stuff I can't think of
    Thanks a lot Ron, I just sang that damn Safelite repair song and now it's stuck in my head and I have a 1 1/2 hour drive home!!!! :help::frusty::facepalm:

BlueFalconActual likes this.
  7. Sep 6, 2016 at 3:06 PM
    RowdyRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    I know what you mean about parking away from everyone. I do the same thing. The crack/chip in my windshield was about the size of a quarter too, Joon. They can repair cracks as long as they are about the size of dollar bill or smaller and are not on the edge of the glass. I made an appointment and a technician came out to my house and fixed mine. If you look closely you can still make out some of the finer cracks but the repair will keep it from spreading in the heat/cold. The cracks are still visible at various angles as well. I suppose it will do until I have to replace the windshield in the future. I don't know where your chip/crack is on your windshield but if it is small and not obstructing your view, your insurance probably will not do anything about it. SafeLite is probably about as good as you can find plus they pretty much all use the same kind of epoxy injection repair stuff. Here are my before and after pics:

Before:

IMG_3124.jpg

After:
    Yeah, I park about as far away from everyone as well. All the repair does is basically smooth out the divot in your glass and make it smooth again to the touch. It also keeps the damaged area from spreading in the heat/cold. You can still see the crack and the degree you can see it changes with the angle. All in all, still not happy but glad the crack won't be spreading. SafeLite can repair a crack that is shorter than the length of a dollar bill and not on the edge of the glass. Regarding getting your windshield repaired, if you are expecting to not be able to see the repair once it is done, you will more than likely be disappointed. However, most insurance companies won't replace your windshield unless the crack is large and extends across your field of vision. Mine was in the lower right (passenger) side so, hopefully, the repair won't make me bat shit, but I tend to be a little OCD on that kind of stuff. Here are the pics:

Before:
    IMG_3124.jpg

After:

IMG_3127.jpg

matluth and Backslider like this.
  8. Sep 6, 2016 at 3:06 PM
    Backslider

Backslider New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, UT
    Safelite repair, Safelite replace!

I got pummeled in my Hyundai by a truck full of gravel - over $2500 in body damage. Fortunately for me a few other cars were hit as well and for whatever reason being able to corroborate with other drivers is what made my insurance cover repairs. Hope yours isn't too bad - if it is and you have a low deductable it might be worth looking into.

RowdyRon likes this.
  9. Sep 6, 2016 at 3:07 PM
    RowdyRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Sorry for the double post in my reply - not quite sure what happened....

10. Sep 6, 2016 at 3:09 PM
    RowdyRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    I hear you, Brother!

11. Sep 6, 2016 at 3:12 PM
    RowdyRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    I know what you mean, I've been humming that damn song all afternoon...

12. Sep 6, 2016 at 3:19 PM
    WarEagleSteve

WarEagleSteve Getting out of Jersey!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    N.J.
    Vehicle:
    2015 White Tundra Crew Max SR5/Off Road
    Join the club Ron. Happened to me in March....:mad:

RowdyRon likes this.
  13. Sep 6, 2016 at 3:21 PM
    joonbug

joonbug mmmm.....bacon...

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    Dublin CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra DC 5.7 TRD off-road
    Thanks Ron. Yeah my chip is right in front of me. Worst possible spot. I thought I was going to go cross-eyed staring at it the first couple of drives, but I somehow learned to ignore it. I barely notice it anymore. I think I'm going to try Safelite and replace the windshield on the next crack. I'm sure it'll eventually happen again with our big ass windshields.

RowdyRon likes this.
  14. Sep 6, 2016 at 3:31 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast Mr Line-X

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2012 CM 4x4 TRD
    those PDR guys are pricey around here. they make good money for any little dings.

15. Sep 6, 2016 at 3:39 PM
    RLHOK

RLHOK New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno Crew Max TRD off road
    will rent this space to pay for mods...: )
    I got a very very shallow small chip in my windshield a few weeks ago, hardly noticeable but I need to go ahead and get it taken care of anyway
    Sorry about your pain Ron...most of us feel sooner or later

RowdyRon likes this.
  16. Sep 6, 2016 at 3:47 PM
    Sean266

Sean266 #ThinBlueLine Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
  17. Sep 6, 2016 at 5:31 PM
    mdavis

mdavis Tiger Life

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Rock Hill, SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra SR5, 5.7, 4X4
    Tow Mirrors, 275/60R20 Toyo AT2's
    Sorry Ron, I too added touch up paint to my Amazon cart the other day. Our paint really does kinda suck. If you look at it wrong, there is a chip to bare metal.

matluth likes this.
  18. Sep 6, 2016 at 6:03 PM
    RowdyRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Thank you, Sir! Yes, it does appear to be on the soft or thin side, doesn't it? Still, a rock coming off a dump truck at 50mph plus me going in the opposite direction at 50mph, something's gonna give.

matluth likes this.
  19. Sep 6, 2016 at 6:08 PM
    mdavis

mdavis Tiger Life

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Rock Hill, SC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra SR5, 5.7, 4X4
    Tow Mirrors, 275/60R20 Toyo AT2's
    One morning I was trying to hurry and get in my truck because the sprinkler was on and one of the rivets on my jeans scraped against the back door. Straight to bare metal! I cussed myself so hard.

matluth and RowdyRon like this.
  20. Sep 6, 2016 at 7:25 PM
    Rancid13

Rancid13 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 DC SR5
    3/1 leveling
    I was driving mine home from buying it a month or so ago and bam, crack in the windshield. Are you f@%*ing kidding me.

RowdyRon and matluth like this.
  21. Sep 6, 2016 at 8:02 PM
    matluth

matluth Fish On!

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2007 Slate Metallic 5.7L Tundra DC SR5 4X4
    18"X9" FN BFD's rims, 295/70R/18E Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's, upgraded to Old Man EMU coil-overs/shocks. Toytec shackles Next: true dual exhaust, new UCA's.
    SafeLite guys have earned their pay with me too unfortunately over the years. Always great work. A log truck near Peace River, BC tossed a large rock at my Taco. Lower left windshield. Woke my ass up actually. About the size of a quarter but didn't cause a crack. When I got to Anchorage I called SafeLite (free with Geico). You could barely tell there was damage. You had to look really close. Really close. By the way Ron.......... things happen in "threes" heh... heh...

22. Sep 6, 2016 at 8:07 PM
    matluth

matluth Fish On!

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2007 Slate Metallic 5.7L Tundra DC SR5 4X4
    18"X9" FN BFD's rims, 295/70R/18E Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's, upgraded to Old Man EMU coil-overs/shocks. Toytec shackles Next: true dual exhaust, new UCA's.
    Get it fixed no matter how small. I have co-workers' who procrastinated and their windshield always ends up getting a big crack (0r more). New windshields aren't cheap anymore.

RowdyRon likes this.
  23. Sep 6, 2016 at 8:20 PM
    Sean266

Sean266 #ThinBlueLine Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    I have glass coverage. It's already paid itself off. Same for my wife's highlander.

RowdyRon likes this.
  24. Sep 6, 2016 at 10:39 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ I'm a boob guy.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC 3500
    Bummer Ron. Mine was the first day by one of my good friends.

RowdyRon likes this.
  25. Sep 7, 2016 at 7:11 AM
    RowdyRon

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for planting that seed, Matt! LOL

matluth likes this.
  26. Nov 1, 2016 at 2:06 AM
    Tfri4x4

Tfri4x4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    14' tundra
    Make friends with a local body shop owner. I walked into the one my insurance company sent me to some years back and ask the body shop manager could he hit my scratches dings etc for a couple hundred bucks. 230$ she was brand new!

27. Nov 1, 2016 at 5:08 AM
    Kenpo

Kenpo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    TX
    Sorry about the hit, when I was looking to have mine replaced SafeLight was real high wanted $300. I spoke to a local body shop he said he sends all his to a local guy, long story. They came to my house replaced with OEM replacement for $219. Not a Tundra but just a heads up SL was the highest.

RowdyRon likes this.
  28. Nov 1, 2016 at 5:55 AM
    Nodlenor

Nodlenor New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ronald
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black Tundra TRD SR5
    I bought mine used so it already had a few dings, but I know how you feel. When I bought my Tacoma new and got my first door ding I just about cried.

RowdyRon likes this.
  29. Nov 1, 2016 at 6:20 AM
    aramirez73

aramirez73 The Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Milky Way Earth North America Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 MagGrayMetallic TSS CM 4WD SR5 5.7FF
    Rough Country lift 4.5"F/4"R 35x12.50R20 Toyo Open Country AT II/ 20" Fuel rims "Mavericks"/ S&B CAI/ 2-10" Rockford Fosgates R2/ Massive Audio Nano N2 amp/ KatSkins seat covers/ Weathertechs window vent visors and floor mats/ AM-AUTO tow mirrors/ Undercover tonneau bed cover/ Viper alarm 3305V/ Flowmaster Super 40 Dual in-out/ 40" led light bar/ TRD Pro grille/Rough Country 30" LED light bar
    Let's see paint chip

To Top