1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Got a quote to fix the wife’s ride...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by WestexSBK, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Dec 17, 2019 at 2:27 PM
    WestexSBK

WestexSBK [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 SuperWhite CM TRD Sport 4x4
    The wife’s 4Runner was in the body shop getting some minor repairs made. The tech pointed out that the front left wheel bearing was going out. Got it home. Sure enough it was bad. The car has 71k on it so I’m not surprised.

I called a local shop that is well known for providing excellent service and price. Apparently....

I asked them to get me a quote to fix the wheel bearing. Install new Bilstein 5100 shocks on all 4 corners, and do an alignment. He called me back to tell me that parts and labor were going to run $2920!!!!!!!! He said something about the 4Runner having some hightech suspension nonsense that requires more labor to do. Then I asked how much the shocks were from his distributor. They were $800 for the Front and $600 for the rear! Just to do the hub is $700 total!

Im going to take the car up there next Monday and talk in person but it sounds like I’m going to be doing this DIY. I can get all 4 shocks for $350 and then hub assembly for under $300. For what I’m saving on labor I can buy a big bottle of crown and take a Friday off!

Joe S

Kerch71 and Trooper2 like this.
  2. Dec 17, 2019 at 2:34 PM
    Theyfzman

Theyfzman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Pa
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD
    Are they doing complete front struts or just the strut and using your old springs ? That would be more labor cost
    That total seems a bit high though

3. Dec 17, 2019 at 2:38 PM
    WestexSBK

WestexSBK [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 SuperWhite CM TRD Sport 4x4
    Swap shock for shock. I’m keeping the factory springs. It’s a 2WD sr5. I’m gonna go in and make sure they understand exactly what needs to be done. I think the computer is calculating things wrong

4. Dec 17, 2019 at 2:45 PM
    Jrharvey02

Jrharvey02 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra CM 5.7 Platinum Dark Black
    sometimes I would greatly exaggerate the price of my businesses’ service when we were booked out and not really in need of the business. knowing that I would likely lose the business anyways if I told the client it would be 5 weeks before I could get to them, it’s an easy way to get yourself off the hook. I was amazed at how many people would actually pay it and wait tho...

Omohundro likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top