1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Good read for BLACK truck owners

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Pudge, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Oct 29, 2019 at 6:28 PM
    Pudge

Pudge [OP] Super Secret Elite Member #7

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2015 Blue Ribbon Platinum
    TRD PRO grille, OCD consol organizers, DIY wireless phone charger, 33" Michelin Defender LTX MS, Bak revolver X2 tonneau, weathertech liners, 20% tints. DIY pop n lock, 2018 LED headlights, morimoto fogs, TRD shift knob, DirtyDeeds 8"BAM exhaust, kenwood HU,JL amp, Tech12volts Tundra full speaker upgrade w/sub, Swing case, and lots of fluid film
    Mcoop, Pinay, TundraXPLover and 4 others like this.
  2. Oct 30, 2019 at 4:58 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    Good info there. Thanks for the link! (I’ll ignore the slow comment because I love you.)

I do think I need to get more pads. I have several, but too much variety. I need to get probably at least a half dozen of one kind. I also haven’t taken care of the ones I have well enough. I’ve been giving them a quick rinse and throwing them in the washing machine.

I’ve put doing a good paint correction on the back burner at the moment. It’s not too bad, as it was corrected in January. There were some holograms that I’ve addressed. Since I’ve been using wax, it hides the imperfections that were visible when using only sealants.

I may do a quick all in one polish before I apply Vortex, but don’t hold me to it.

3. Oct 30, 2019 at 5:04 AM
    Brownsfanhere

Brownsfanhere New Member

Member:
    2015 Crew Max
    I liked the ipa part. Got away from a ipa mix and went with Gyeon Prep before using a coating or sealant. I have black as well. You just have to be smart on putting anything on the paint. Love black for the most part. Because when it’s dialed in nothing beats it. I have a combo that works great from polishes to coatings on my black tundra. When polishing or compounding more pads the better. I use like 10-12 for the whole truck. Thanks for the article.

War Machine likes this.
  4. Oct 30, 2019 at 5:11 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    So what’s your process? My biggest problem is I’m always wanting to try new things, so I’ve yet to settle into a strict regimen.

5. Oct 30, 2019 at 5:16 AM
    Grumpy Uncle

Grumpy Uncle Pushing string down the hall SSEM #10

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black CM Tundra TRD Off Road
    4:88s and Auburn LSD, dealership faux Pro, 35" BFGs on XD wheels, OME Lift with Dakars
  6. Oct 30, 2019 at 5:18 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas

We are just pawns in game of life.

Grumpy Uncle[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Oct 30, 2019 at 5:20 AM
    Grumpy Uncle

Grumpy Uncle Pushing string down the hall SSEM #10

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black CM Tundra TRD Off Road
    4:88s and Auburn LSD, dealership faux Pro, 35" BFGs on XD wheels, OME Lift with Dakars

They just don't have our devotion!

Pinay and War Machine[QUOTED] like this.
  8. Oct 30, 2019 at 5:29 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
    Black Patina looks great.

model-a-tudor-sedan-barn-find-natural-patina-untouched-original-rat-rod-project-1.jpg

khunk and War Machine like this.
  9. Oct 30, 2019 at 5:39 AM
    Brownsfanhere

Brownsfanhere New Member

Member:
    2015 Crew Max
    For polishing I use 3D HD Speed it’s a AIO works well. White pad or orange. Like not to use orange unless need be. Compounding done once when I first got it. Bought used. For that I use Griots Fast Correcting Cream. Excellent product. And you could stop there it’s that good. No haze and easy to buff off. I go thru pads for sure. No compressor at my garage. So I go through them. Clean pads are crucial. For protection on the truck. Tac Systems Moonlight. Awesome stuff and easy. It’s per say a coating. Let that cure for 24 hours. Moonlight says it cures in 2-4 hours. But my first experience got in hurry and went the 2 hour route and got water spots later on. So second time waited 24 hours. Highly recommend this product for serious hard protection. Then once that cures my “sacrificial” layer as they say is Gyeon wet coat. My favorite product ever. These 2 together are lights out for me. Simple and idiot proof. I’m not into these long term coating for many reasons. White paint I’d probably go with a long term coating. Black I would go nuts because over time you would see scratches. You will never get away from that ever with black. Don’t care how careful you are washing it. I’m a huge Forensic detail guy fan on YouTube. He has a video on the Moonlight

10. Oct 30, 2019 at 6:12 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas

I have 3D One, but haven’t really tried it yet. From the videos I watched, both Speed and One were pretty similar in use and results. I also got some Griots Fast Correcting Cream recently, but haven’t used it yet. Which one would you recommend for light correction?
    I’ve not looked at Moonlight, but I agree that Gyeon Wetcoat is a great product. I prefer Carpro Hydro2 because it’s more cost effective in the long run, since it’s a concentrate. I do always recommend Wetcoat to those who aren’t ready to drop the money that Hydro2 costs.
    I use one of those pad brushes to clean them while I’m working, but that’s probably not ideal.

I honestly have way too many polishes/compounds/AIO for the little amount of paint correction I do. I’m pretty bad about throwing stuff like that in with other orders.

Just off the top of my head I have:

Carpro Clear Cut
    Carpro Essence
    Carpro Reflect
    3D One
    Griots Fast Correcting Cream
    The Last Cut
    Meguair’s Ultimate Compound
    Meguair’s Ultimate Polish
    Meguair’s D166
    3M Finesse It

Like I said, way too much. I don’t think I ordered any of it on it’s own. I’ve added it to other orders when stuff was on sale. The Clear Cut and Essence are the only ones I’ve really used extensively.

My daughter’s 2011 Radiant Red Tundra is in need of some extensive correction, which I hope to do when she’s home for the holidays. Since I don’t have a place to do this inside, I’m pretty limited on when I can do paint correction. I have to have near perfect weather, which is a rarity here.

Forensic Detailing is one of my favorite channels also.

11. Oct 30, 2019 at 6:34 AM
    Brownsfanhere

Brownsfanhere New Member

Member:
    2015 Crew Max
    Light correction is a white pad then use orange if white isn’t cutting it. Use 3D one for light correction. I was like you buying products left and right. Just had enough. Wife stepped in. Lol. Would love to try more Gyeon products.

War Machine[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Oct 30, 2019 at 7:28 AM
    War Machine

War Machine SSEM # 5 3MW

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Texas
    I have actually slacked off quite a bit on purchases. My wife actually remarked that there aren’t boxes at the door every single day anymore. :rofl:

Products Discussed in

To Top