1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Going from 3rd Gen Tacoma to 1st Gen Tundra, who's done it?

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by dylant97, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Feb 25, 2021 at 8:46 PM
    dylant97

dylant97 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey yall, first post here. I'm currently sitting in a 2019 SR5 Tacoma DCLB that is nearly paid off. I enjoy the truck very much, and it has done everything I've asked of it well. That being said, it's a big chunk of depreciating metal, and I was throwing around the idea of selling it for a 1st Gen Tundra from 2005-06. As far as I can tell, they are comparable in size/towing while the tundra has a much bigger/comfier interior.

As far as the benefits goes: I could use the extra money for future expenses (wedding/house coming up soon), and the bigger backseats would accommodate carseats better when the time comes. Plus the legendary reliability of the V8 engine.

Doing all my research, I've found so many things to be wary of though, including:
    Timing belt change
    Rusty frames
    Failling LBJ/worn lower bushings
    Leaking steering rack/pinion
    Leaking rear axle seals/bearings
    Warped Front Rotors from brakes (though this is not an issue with 05-06?)
    Exhaust manifold cracks (not an issue with 05-06, or am i wrong?)

I figure these are rare/infrequent issues, but what is everyone elses' experience? Has anyone made the jump from gen2/3 tacoma to gen1 tundra? Any regrets? Any more issues to look out for while I keep an eye out for a 1st gen tundra? Thanks yall!

MS22 and Tacopashka like this.
  2. Feb 25, 2021 at 9:30 PM
    Ghostly.-

Ghostly.- Tragic.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitchell
    Montana
    Timing belt should be done every 90k, some have gone 400k with the original though. Frame rust is the big one. No point in buying a truck that will fold in half. Ball joints aren't that bad, from what I've heard they were only an issue from 2000-2003, I may be wrong. I have never heard about rear axle seal issues, or warped front rotors. As for exhaust manifolds, its an excuse to put headers on for a performance boost. One other issue I heard of is called the strawberry milkshake, where the portion of the radiator that cools the transmission ruptures and mixes with coolant. It is very rare, and usually happens when under extreme load while towing from what I've heard.

3. Feb 25, 2021 at 10:24 PM
    jimf909

jimf909 Battery almost dead...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Washington or Idaho
    Vehicle:
    '03 Tundra SR5 AC 4.7 TRD w/LSD
    Dead stock with oem 16" starfish wheels. We'll see how long that lasts. :) Topper of unknown origin.
    A timing belt is like filling the tank, changing the oil and replacing tires: routine maintenance.

A rusted frame is like...a severely rusted frame: potential catastrophic failure. Just don't confuse ordinary surface rust with severe corrosion. Surface rust can be wire brushed off, severe corrosion can be measured in mms or by putting your finger through a hole rusted through the frame (think 10-20 years of Northeast salty, salty winters).

I've never owned a Tacoma so I can't speak to that part of your question.

If you're thinking of selling your Tacoma for $25K and buying a 180Kmile Tundra for $12K (after tax, license, covering deferred maintenance, etc.) you'll be looking at a $10- $15K kitty and an awesome truck in your drive.

dylant97[OP] likes this.
  4. Feb 25, 2021 at 10:52 PM
    270Fan

270Fan New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Silver Tundra 4x4 DC
    Last July I had a 2015 Tacoma double cab, 2wd that had 50k miles on it. I sold it for $24k and I later found out that was a fire sale price - I sold it to the first guy that called. There were a LOT of people that probably would have paid $26k for it, I was a bonehead. I bought a 2004 Tundra doublecab 4WD with 135k miles on it. I paid $8k for it when I bought it from a friend. I put a couple grand into it - new stereo, new brakes, timing belt/water pump, etc. If I hadn't crashed the thing offroading I'd be way ahead. Instead, my mistake has cost me a couple grand in new wheels, busted parts, etc. This truck has been a frustration but I finally feel like it's the truck I wanted since it's fixed (knock on wood). It still needs a new rack/pinion (currently leaking), I'll put a new radiator in it because the current one is original and I'll put new LBJ's on it relatively soon. After that, I'm done for awhile (I hope).

What I love -
    1 - having a bigger interior to haul my full size sons & hunting partners around.
    2 - bigger bed to haul fishing & hunting gear. I can throw all my hunting gear, camping gear and a couple of dead deer in it with no problem. The Tacoma couldn't do that.
    3 - the insurance is about half what the Tacoma was.
    4 - power to burn
    5 - 4wd to get out of trouble

What I don't particularly love -
    1 - it's a 17 year old truck that just isn't as comfortable (seat, ride quietness)
    2 - I miss the steering wheel mounted stereo controls (some come with it, surprises me how much I miss that)
    3 - fuel consumption on the Tacoma was a LOT less than the Tundra.

While these trucks aren't depreciating and actually may be appreciating I think you'll find that your Tacoma actually holds its value better than the 1st gen Tundras do. I don't know that there's a right/wrong answer here, your situation is your own and you have to decide. I don't think you could go wrong with a 1st gen Tundra if you shop around and get a good deal. I wish you luck.

5. Feb 25, 2021 at 10:57 PM
    evilrb

evilrb New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    I did it and no regrets!

6. Feb 26, 2021 at 4:11 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Many have done (or wanted to do) the transition. I’ve had a few friends try to replicate the 1st Gen by buying Taco only to be let down. They both ended up in Turd Gen and still wish for the 1st Gen.

Still can’t understand the Taco prices being so high for an underpowered/underwhelming truck. The 1st Gen beats in all aspects except a close MPG loss which is negligible. Spread the word over in Taco Land that 1st Gen is the place where they can have the best of both worlds. Powaa with right/tight sizing!

https://www.tundras.com/threads/1st-gens-are-entering-legendary-status.83988/

Pucks18, Jack McCarthy and evilrb like this.
  7. Feb 26, 2021 at 5:07 AM
    Mitch09

Mitch09 New Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR5 TRD Off-road
    I had a 2016 Tacoma and now drive an 2004 Tundra. I do not miss anything about the Tacoma. The Tundra has a little more interior room and a longer bed in my case coming from DCSB Taco. The MPG is a little less, however I hated how bad the Tacoma constantly hunted for different gears. I prefer the low-end torque compared to the Tacoma where you had to really get on it to feel any power.

I added a backup camera/new head-unit, speakers and did the timing belt maintenance. I have had no issues.

ToyoLife, back9k9, speedtre and 2 others like this.
  8. Feb 26, 2021 at 5:16 AM
    onesojourner

onesojourner Here, let me derail that for you

Member:
    SW MO
    Vehicle:
    06 DBLcab LTD 4x4
    I got 22mpg in my tacoma. It turned way sharper. It was easier to park. It had more cargo capacity than my double cab. The aftermarket is way better. The tacoma is a great truck and probably the right choice for most. Resale on the Tacoma was absolutely great, sold my 06 and bought the 06 tundra. New Retail on the Taco was about 19k tundra 38k. I bought my tundra for about what I sold the tacoma for. There are a lot really good reasons to drive with a Tacoma. V8s are expensive.

Terndrerrr likes this.
  9. Feb 26, 2021 at 5:31 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    Why did my friends sell their Tacos due to not being pleased due to the reasons I’ve listed?

speedtre and Tundra2 like this.
  10. Feb 26, 2021 at 5:54 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
    My mom drives a 2005 Tacoma SR5 V6 PreRunner with 4 doors, it fits her perfectly - she loves it. Whenever I drive it, I am always happy to get back into my V8 powered 1st or 2nd Gen Tundra - the Tacoma is just too small and claustrophobic for me.

11. Feb 26, 2021 at 5:59 AM
    NCSkeeter

NCSkeeter New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Tundra Crewmax 4x4 1794
    TRD Rear Sway Bar, Truxedo X15 Tonneau Cover, Toyota OEM Bed Mat
    There’s times I miss the size of my DCSB second gen Tacoma. However, I can’t imagine selling a near new truck to buy something 15 years old, especially as a family vehicle. At that age, I would expect the Tundra will be less dependable than your Tacoma. My 2005 had a failing fuel sender and the instrument cluster failed in the last year of ownership. Truck was garage kept, low miles, and looked new. Some things just start to fail with time.

12. Feb 26, 2021 at 6:14 AM
    des2mtn

des2mtn Third Member

Member:
    Where my wheels stop rolling
    Vehicle:
    2004 Black DC Limited 4x4
    Tonto cover
    We have a 2015 2WD limited prerunner Taco. It is four doors and has a camper shell like my truck so it's easy for me to compare the two. They are very similar in size but the Taco is underwhelming in power as others say. The Tundra interior is much more comfortable than the Taco. Our Taco is a nice little work horse that does its designated job well, but I would never think about replacing my Tundy with it, even if it was 4X4. Plus 1st gen Tundys have steel beds, the Tacos have composite beds.

13. Feb 26, 2021 at 6:26 AM
    bmc02

bmc02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Buddy
    E WA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC SR5 / 06 SEQUOIA LTD
    8 years ago I was set on upgrading from a 3rd gen 4runner to a new tacoma. I took one test drive in a DC Tacoma, looked in the back seat, looked at my (young and growing) kids and said nope. Bought an 05 DC tundra instead. Way roomier interior! Really glad I made that decision, the tacoma was just too small.

You can find a good first gen, but the good ones are getting harder to find and their price is reflecting that. You should have made this decision a couple years ago. Haha. Good luck!

14. Feb 26, 2021 at 6:31 AM
    aredub

aredub Supply Chain Guru

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tundra SR5 AC 4.7 2WD
    King Coilovers, Pro Comp Wheels, BFG KO2s, Kenwood head unit
    I have a 20 Taco Pro as well as a 01 Tundra AC. Crazy as it may sound, I prefer the Tundra. To me, the Tundra is so much more comfortable, more plush, whereas the Tacoma feels more utilitarian with its hard leather seats. As you know, the Tundra is just a tick wider inside which makes a difference. I sometimes think, if I knew this pandemic was coming back in January of 20, I wouldn’t have bought the Tacoma. I just turned 2000 miles in a bit over a year. All that to say, I’m not sure if I would miss it that much. I know for sure that I would miss the Tundra though. The used Tacoma market is still pretty hot, so if you’re going to sell, it’s not a bad time. This past summer, some where making money on their lightly used Tacomas. With that, know that you will also be paying top dollar for a G1 Tundra right now as well. Good luck.

15. Feb 26, 2021 at 6:43 AM
    Tundra2

Tundra2 Zoinked

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tundra V8 SR5 '03 Corolla Virus
    I would drive an older tacoma, (I've never been in one so can't say I'd hate the interior), but I also don't live with a V8 tundra so I really wouldn't know what I'm missing.

Guess I'm just weird like that.

16. Feb 26, 2021 at 8:20 AM
    speedtre

speedtre New Member

Member:
    Inland Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2006 BSM Toyota Tundra DC TRD 4x4
    I did this in 2019....best vehicle decision I've ever made...if you want details, here are all the times I've posted about it...:thumbsup:

https://www.tundras.com/search/3857039/?q=2017+tacoma&t=post&o=date&c[user][0]=24808

17. Feb 26, 2021 at 8:37 AM
    rock climber

rock climber New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2001 Sequoia 4X4, 2000 AC 4X4
    06 Tacoma versus newer Tacoma (he had an 06). The older ones didn't have the gear hunting issues, mediocre power, etc... A lot of people feel that the new Tacoma was a step backwards for Toyota.

18. Feb 26, 2021 at 8:41 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    @dylant97 It sounds like you've done your research but I'll add a few thoughts.
    I love my Tundra, but I'm not sure I would get rid of a nearly paid for 2 year old Tacoma. You will be going from a 2 year old truck to a truck that is at least 15 years old. Even the nicest 1st gen Tundra you find is likely going to need some work. Any 15-20 year old vehicle is going to require some refreshing.

I'm not sure you'll end up saving that much money by swapping trucks. Clean 1st gen Double Cabs are way up in price right now.

Honestly, I'm sure you wouldn't miss the Tacoma but I'm just not sure I would make the swap for financial reasons. If you do it, it would solely be because you think you need more room and more power. You're going to lose a lot of creature comforts that your 2019 has. I don't mind my low tech truck but I know some people want more features.

19. Feb 26, 2021 at 8:42 AM
    Cummins3500

Cummins3500 Never finishes.....

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Vehicle:
    2006 tundra double cab, 2014 Cummins 6-speed manual
    Dave Ramsey would approve of this decision :thumbsup:

I had a 2011 dc short box get totaled. I replaced it with the tundra. The tundra is perfect size truck. My only gripe with it is the dang turning radius.

Sandy01, dylant97[OP], 270Fan and 2 others like this.
  20. Feb 26, 2021 at 1:59 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    Cool. I see the nuance, but still stand my ground on the Tundra being better in a year to year/pound for pound comparison. :D

Without looking, I don’t remember the Tacos costing more when brand new than the Tundras.

Everyone wants more Powaa! Not seeing it in Taco FOR MORE MONEY USED.

abcinv likes this.
  21. Feb 26, 2021 at 4:10 PM
    dylant97

dylant97 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I appreciate the responses everyone! Great discussion here, keep it coming.

Some of y'alls comments made me think about a few more things. I'm pretty happy with the Tacoma as is. I know everyone says it's weak, but I find it perfectly adequate in that department. Maybe I'm just used to it at this point. I definitely don't need anything that the Tundra has over the Tacoma (V8, steel bed) with the exception of a nicer, more spacious interior. For me, I'm getting about the same amount of truck with this trade, though maybe I just don't know what I don't know yet :) I'm a real low tech guy, so honestly a Limited 1st Gen Tundra has more creature comforts than my current Tacoma by far.

While paid off is nice, in both scenarios both vehicles would be paid off/soon paid off. It's just that one is a 30k depreciating liability vs a 10-12k depreciating liability (what I plan on spending). I know the Tundra will have issues, but so will the Tacoma down the road. The Tundra's engine is tried and true, and with good maintenance will last many miles from what I read, while it's too early to tell about the new 3.5 in the Tacoma. I plan to drive either into the ground, I just want to make sure it will last me a long time.

Plus, if KBB values are any bit accurate, I can break even or even come out on top when selling my Tacoma, so that's a nice bonus.

22. Feb 26, 2021 at 4:18 PM
    270Fan

270Fan New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Silver Tundra 4x4 DC
    I had a 2006 double cab 2WD Tundra. The tranny was going out so I dumped it and bought the 2015 Tacoma new. I actually felt guilty for hating the Tacoma as much as I did. It was a nice truck, it was a blessing to have something that was reliable and it had all the other pluses I mentioned above. But I just hated it. When my buddy told me he was selling his '04 Tundra there wasn't a second thought. Even my wife said, "You're miserable in the Tacoma, get the Tundra and be done with it." The interior cab of the Tundra is like flying business class after you've been flying coach cross country on a holiday weekend.

Also, KBB values are WILDLY inaccurate.

23. Feb 26, 2021 at 4:25 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    :rofl:

24. Feb 26, 2021 at 5:49 PM
    bmc02

bmc02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Buddy
    E WA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC SR5 / 06 SEQUOIA LTD
    Agreed that KBB isn't very accurate. I feel like they always undervalue toyota trucks.

Good analogy of tundra being business class. Haha

25. Feb 26, 2021 at 6:17 PM
    onesojourner

Member:
    SW MO
    Vehicle:
    06 DBLcab LTD 4x4
    You tacoma bash every chance you get.

The Tacoma is a great light duty truck.

Like the OP said the taco power is adequate. I'm sure most people would be happy to not spend $1k on a timing belt every few years.

With all that said I think both trucks are great, but I have a double cab with v8 so I can pull a trailer and haul 4 adults or my dogs comfortably. The Tundra has more functionality. Functionality most people have no need for.

26. Feb 27, 2021 at 5:43 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    Yes. I do Tacoma bash for fun. I Turd bash, as well. You aren’t getting it, though.

Plenty of others Testify that the Tundra is far superior pound for pound. Why the price disparity?

All I’m doing is stating what friends and other on this board say. Plenty of example on this thread alone. Also, I’d like to see our Tundra Prices go higher than a Weak V4 or V6 with less interior room and way weaker tow/haul capacity. The 4.7L is Legend. Taco has not.

https://www.tundras.com/threads/1st-gens-are-entering-legendary-status.83988/

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    MS22, speedtre, Tundra2 and 2 others like this.
  27. Feb 27, 2021 at 6:41 AM
    Bubbadog

Bubbadog New Member

Member:
    I planned to purchase a new 2020 Tacoma a few months ago. It was to replace my 2001 Tundra with 222,000 miles. After a test drive, I much preferred my Tundra. Although their exterior dimensions are very close, the Tundra has much more interior space and for me, a much more comfortable seating position.. Another thing that is not frequently mentioned when comparing the two is visibility. The Tundra's visibility, especially forward, is much better which I really appreciate. I am hoping the next generation Tacoma is more closely matched to the first generation Tundras. Honestly it seems like Toyota "mailed it in" on their current gen Tacoma (rear drum brakes, poor MPG, weird shifting auto trans, etc.).

28. Feb 27, 2021 at 6:50 AM
    Hooptytrix

Hooptytrix Squeaky Chicken

Member:
    Dirty South
    Vehicle:
    2000 AC 4x4, 2001 AC 4x4 Sold. 2005 DC SR5 2WD
    Buy your truck from Texas or florida, avoid the rust issues.
    You should be able to get something good for about $10k or less. Expect to spend a couple grand on routine maintenance. Struts, 4 02 sensors, Dirty Deeds injectors, tune up, timing belt, sepertine belt and pulley, maf sensor and clean things up. 05-06 suffer from secondary air pump issues (emissions), hewlett tech sells a bypass $250. Also the drive shaft carrier bearing should be looked at, not a big deal.

You will be very happy once all this is done, similar gas mileage as your taco but more power and interior space

MS22, speedtre, des2mtn and 1 other person like this.
  29. Feb 27, 2021 at 6:55 AM
    onesojourner

Member:
    SW MO
    Vehicle:
    06 DBLcab LTD 4x4
    Fair point.

I guess my point for the OP or future "I have a tacoma and might want a first gen tundra people", is the both trucks have value. If I had kept my tacoma I would have more money in my pocket. If I had bought my first gen new and sold it 15 years later I would have lost about 20k$ if I had bought a my tacoma new and sold it 15 years later I would have lost 3k$.

30. Feb 27, 2021 at 7:02 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle:
    Hand Protectors
    I’ll slip my Decoder Ring on and see if I can understand this one later.

Hooptytrix, speedtre and Tundra2 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top