1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Glove Box Removal

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Max Power, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Jan 5, 2019 at 12:40 PM
    Max Power

Max Power [OP] Groovy Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 TRD Off Road
    TRD Dual Exhaust TRD Rear Sway Bar
    How is it accomplished? I have a 2018 with a buzzing noise coming from the glove box area. It could be the ECM but it might also be something else. I need the glove box off to see what's back there. I tried removing some screws already to remove the glove box but that wasn't enough to get the box out.

2. Jan 5, 2019 at 12:44 PM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    Isn't it under warranty?

Booradly and OR18TRD like this.
  3. Jan 5, 2019 at 12:46 PM
    Max Power

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 TRD Off Road
    Yes. Problem is the buzzing is intermittent. I don't imagine the dealer is going to be much help, so I'm trying to fix the issue on my own first.

OR18TRD likes this.
  4. Jan 6, 2019 at 3:02 AM
    netranger6

netranger6 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    2021 Crewmax. 4x4, SR5, Blacked Out package
    None. Keeping this one stock.
    A leaf in the cabin filter...

Napvid and OR18TRD like this.
  5. Jan 6, 2019 at 3:28 AM
    Haggis777

Haggis777 I.L.J.C.M.L.

Member:
    SW Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver SR5 TRD Tundra Canadian Model
    LEDs interior & exterior, stubby antenna, Bak-Flip cover, 285's, AGM battery, block heater, Pine tree air freshener
    I had something similar happen years ago on a newer vehicle like yours. Turned out to be a bad bearing in the fan blower motor for the heat and A/C. Perhaps have this inspected also. Just a suggestion....

OR18TRD and Max Power[OP] like this.
  6. Jan 13, 2019 at 6:12 AM
    JohnH

JohnH From PA

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra SR-5 4x4 TRD MGM
    ADS 3.0 with clickers ADS bypasses Deaver U748 springs Magnum steps (with Line-X applied) Powdercoated bumper ends Powdercoated TRD wheels Pro grill Husky X-Act
    Did you ever figure this out? I have the same issue and would like to address the ECM buzzing problem myself.

John

7. Jan 13, 2019 at 7:02 AM
    Max Power

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 TRD Off Road
    Still working on it. I've had a hard time coordinating a time for a friend to come for a ride with me to feel around down there to verify that it's definitely the ECM. Though based on other comments/videos, I'm about 99% certain it is. I can say in my case, putting a clamp on the ECM and various other fixes have not eliminated the noise. It's constant when the truck is cold, and then it quiets down and becomes more intermittent when the truck warms up. It's been a cold one here the past night, so I'm going to try to get my friend to come for a ride with me in a little bit as the truck has been sitting all night. Hopefully she sings for me and I can at least figure out the culprit. I'll report back when I've made progress.

Sunnier likes this.
  8. Jan 13, 2019 at 7:09 AM
    1UPPER

1UPPER Not A New Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Flux capacitor!
    You can open the area behind the glove box to access the cabin air filter very quickly. I don’t know if that will help you much or not. Have you taken any videos of the noise when it occurs to show the dealership? That’s what I would do to document the issue. I would also video the mileage of the truck on the video to serve as a date stamp.

Notachickmagnet likes this.
  9. Jan 13, 2019 at 10:45 AM
    Max Power

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 TRD Off Road
    Yeah, I've taken that off. I do have a video where you can hear the buzzing, I'll have to continue to document it that way.

Update from today is, I picked up a friend to come for a ride with me....and she was mostly quiet. It's very frustrating, and I was unable to confirm the source of the buzz as the ECM. His theory was that perhaps it was a few different groups of wires below the glove box that could have been vibrating together. I zip tied a few different groups of wires to tighten things up to see if that helps, but I'm relatively certain I haven't fixed the issue yet. I suppose I should consider myself lucky that it's at least an intermittent issue and not doing it 24/7 with no way to fix. I'll keep on trying to figure it out.

1UPPER[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Jan 13, 2019 at 4:05 PM
    JohnH

JohnH From PA

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra SR-5 4x4 TRD MGM
    ADS 3.0 with clickers ADS bypasses Deaver U748 springs Magnum steps (with Line-X applied) Powdercoated bumper ends Powdercoated TRD wheels Pro grill Husky X-Act
    Well I hope you get it. Mine is all buzzing/tapping the time, thanks to Pennsylvania wintertime.

John

11. Jan 13, 2019 at 4:22 PM
    Max Power

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 TRD Off Road
    Another update: My friend came for a ride with me for another attempt. This time the truck was making the noise. He got under the glove box to see. In my case, it's not the ECM. The noise is coming from the blower motor. It's worse when it's cold, then when things warm up, the noise quiets down and almost goes away entirely. I had thought all this time it was the ECM, but he said the noise wasn't coming from it, and attempts at manipulating the ECM made no difference. So at least now I have a starting point, I just have to figure out how to fix it, and if not, I'll have to hope the dealer can help. It's not a loud noise, and it sounded an awful lot like the noise the ECM makes based on a video I saw posted in another thread. I can say even though I haven't got it fixed right this minute, it's a whole lot less annoying just because I at least know where it's coming from.

12. Feb 7, 2019 at 6:35 PM
    Tunda

Tunda New Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2018 Platinum CrewMax
    Wondering if you got any updates on this.

I seem to have a noise similar to what you described.

13. Feb 7, 2019 at 6:56 PM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    Welcome from NY.

14. Feb 7, 2019 at 7:50 PM
    Tunda

Tunda New Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2018 Platinum CrewMax
    Thank you.

This a great forum.
    Recently picked up my Tundra and really enjoying it...except for a couple annoying unwanted interior noises :)

15. Feb 10, 2019 at 1:53 PM
    Max Power

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 TRD Off Road
    No resolution for me. My noise is a slight buzzing/rattling that goes away after the truck warms up. It sounds similar to the videos I've seen of buzzing ECM's, but I've been able to determine that it's not the ECM. The noise is coming from somewhere near the blower motor, when the motor is on it must create enough of a vibration to buzz. It's got to be some type of plastic piece that has just enough of a tolerance when it's cold to buzz. It's not too bad, if I've got the radio on I don't notice it at all and then when it gets warm it's gone. I think it's going to have to be something I have to live with.

16. Feb 10, 2019 at 2:01 PM
    r1-superstar

r1-superstar Kailua Boy

Member:
    First Name:
    DB
    UTAH
    Vehicle:
    2018 TUNDRA CM SR5 TRD SPORT 4x4 MGM
  17. Feb 18, 2019 at 9:41 AM
    m0wens

m0wens New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tundra SR5 TSS
    Hey guys, just an FYI. For those that are still getting the rattle/buzzing around the glovebox area, I just resolved mine this morning. There is a screw that is directly behind the upper part of the glovebox that was half way out on my Tundra that was causing the rattle/buzzing sound. It's the one screw behind the glovebox that keeps you dash secured. The only way to get to this screw is to remove the glovebox completely which is a pain but once removed, you will see the lone screw. Mine was about half way out which caused that rattle/buzzing sound at around 60mph with the RPM's revving around 1800. It was loose enough and far enough out to just touch my glovebox. Anyways, I hope this info can help some folks because I know this rattle/buzz sound was driving me nuts... :)

18. Feb 18, 2019 at 1:01 PM
    Tunda

Tunda New Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2018 Platinum CrewMax
    Thanks for posting this m0wens. Was your rattle intermittent or always there at 1800rpm?

For me, I reluctantly took it in to the dealer last week. I was able to reproduce the buzzing with the tech in the car. After a few hours they gave the truck back with a few new scratches which they took responsibility for. They claimed they solved the rattle by insulating a bunch of wires under glove box. But they didnt actually figure out the source of the rattle. Interesting.

So as soon as I left the dealer the sound was there :).

I went home and tried the zip tie solution which didn't resolve anything.

Then I tried wrapping the ECU under glove box with rubber and a pipe clamp. Thst didnt do anything.

Next I used a small c-clamp to squeeze the EUC. I am not sure if this has fixed the issue but it has been a few days and no rattle (except for one time after leaving the car wash - strange).

I will monitor things and provide an update.

19. Feb 18, 2019 at 4:54 PM
    m0wens

m0wens New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:

Yes, my buzz/rattle was consistent at 1800 rpms around 60mph. If you have already tried the ECM fix I would check the bolt behind the glove box. I know it's a pain to remove the glove box, but if it does end up being the bolt, it will all be worth it. Worse case, take your truck back to the dealer and have them check for you. Tell them it's the screw that's behind the upper part of the glove box.

20. Feb 18, 2019 at 5:05 PM
    m0wens

m0wens New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    For those wondering which screw/bolt I'm referring too that was loose in my Tundra, here is a pic.

upload_2019-2-18_19-5-21.jpg

21. Feb 18, 2019 at 6:48 PM
    Tunda

Tunda New Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2018 Platinum CrewMax
    Would you be able to provide some brief instructions on how to remove the glove box?
    I haven't been able to find any on thr net so far.

22. Feb 18, 2019 at 8:50 PM
    Ely010606

Ely010606 New Member

Member:
    SPARKS, NV
    Vehicle:
    2017 QS SR5 CM TRD 4x4
    ^ curios also

23. Feb 18, 2019 at 9:44 PM
    r1-superstar

r1-superstar Kailua Boy

Member:
    First Name:
    DB
    UTAH
    Vehicle:
    So I have zip tied the ECM and the vibration went away. But now I have yet another annoying buzz behind the glovebox at the same rpm at any speed. I will remove the glovebox like you did to see if there is a bolt loose. Thanks for the picture!!

24. Feb 18, 2019 at 10:06 PM
    Twinky

Twinky Keep the shinny side up!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Kemah, Texas chillin on my ChrisCraft 480
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab work horse
    Stereo upgrades: -HU, Pioneer Mvh bs501 -Tweeters, Peerless(vifa) XT25SC90-04 1" Dual Ring Radiator s in custom pods. -Mids, Silver Flute W17RC38-04 6.5" Wool Cone Woofer. -Subwoofer, American Bass XR12. 2.3^3ft tuned @33-34 hz. -Tw Amp, Old School 2ch Sony. -Mids Amp, Old School Autotek Sx275. -Sub Amp, Old School Memphis 16-pr1.1000 -Zero gauge big 3. 0 and 4 gauge copper runs to amps.
    For anyone still trying to narrow down the source, check if the ac/heat is on or off next time you here it.

Ive seen it mentioned a couple times that the blower has been the culprit of similar complaints.

Max Power[OP] likes this.
  25. Feb 19, 2019 at 1:58 PM
    m0wens

m0wens New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    No worries, let me know if it ends up being that same screw like in my issue. Definitely curious.

26. Feb 19, 2019 at 2:07 PM
    m0wens

m0wens New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Honestly, this was my first time disassembling the glovebox. It was all trial an error along with info that I looked up on the web. It took me a couple of hours but I'm sure I can complete the job in under an hour now that I've done it. Anyways, here is a quick summary of what I did.

1.) Remove the floor pillars by the passenger door.
    2.) Remove plastic cover piece on the side of the dash. Should pop right off.
    3.) Remove kick plate from under the glove box. It should just have plastic push pins and a couple of screws.
    4.) Remove another trim piece which I believe had two or three bolts holding it in place.
    5.) Carefully disconnect the airbag. You will see it connected with the yellow wires.
    6.) Remove screws from underneath glovebox, I believe there are three.
    7.) Remove 3 screws from the top of the glovebox.
    8.) Pull and remove glovebox. You should then see the lone screw that's attached to the dash that's in my pic above.

I wish I would have taken pics during my glovebox uninstall but at the time, I was just wanting to fix that darn rattle/buzzing sound... :)

Hope this helps!

r1-superstar and NewImprovedRon like this.
  27. Feb 21, 2019 at 12:59 PM
    Max Power

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 TRD Off Road
    The blower is a contributor to my noise. However, she has been very quiet lately.

28. Feb 21, 2019 at 5:09 PM
    r1-superstar

r1-superstar Kailua Boy

Member:
    First Name:
    DB
    UTAH
    Vehicle:
    My bolt was solid.

m0wens[QUOTED] likes this.
  29. Feb 25, 2019 at 11:21 PM
    Tunda

Tunda New Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2018 Platinum CrewMax
    It seems that the c-clamp method did the trick. Haven't heard that rattle for quite some time now.

I finally ended up removing the glove box. It was simpler than I had anticipated. Once all the nuts are removed, the trim pieces just unclip with a slight pull.

30. Mar 12, 2019 at 1:27 PM
    r1-superstar

r1-superstar Kailua Boy

Member:
    First Name:
    DB
    UTAH
    Vehicle:

Alright, I got a hose clamp, radiator hose, and clamped it like this picture. This is NOT the root of the problem. I have traced it to these metal tubes that bring hot antifreeze into the cab for the heater. The rattle/buzz is most noticeable with the heater on. As soon as I turn it off, the noise goes away. It doesn't do it with the A/C on nor just the fan. *Note: this happens between 1400-1900 rpm in gears higher than first.

I also noticed the black vent tube was loose so I zip tied it to the chassis. I also wrapped radiator hose around one of the silver tubes and zip tied it on to help eliminate the rattle/buzz. Now I'm going to wrap the other silver tube and zip tie them together to see if the sounds goes away. Anybody have any ideas? This is super annoying.

Products Discussed in

To Top