1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gen 3 vs Gen 2.5....disappointed

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by doughboysigep, Apr 23, 2023.

1. Apr 23, 2023 at 4:34 AM
    doughboysigep

doughboysigep [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Delhi, NY
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 CM 4x4
    I was curious how the new Tundras compare to the last generation (and have been thinking of going to a Crew Max) so I took a test drive. First, I am not a big fan of the new look compared to the gen 2.5. It isn't terrible, but just really like the 2.5 look and stance. My biggest disappointment was the fact that all models and all packages now have a full center console, and it is not a small console - it is huge! This basically means that I will not be getting a Tundra unless they change this. As a bigger guy, I want more room, not less. If I wanted the feel of a compact car, I would buy one. It is physically uncomfortable for me to drive the new tundra. As far as other things I noticed: Feel behind the wheel is much different - steering wheel sits low and doesn't go any higher. Hood looks/"feels" much longer than previous generation. It road and drove fine. Still little leery of the V6 but wasn't able to put the hammer down to see how it gets up and goes (been reassured that isn't an issue with the turbo). Interior is nice overall.

Love my 2017, guess if I am gonna get a crew max, it will have to be a used 2021 (or another make - yuck). I hate it when a company has a good thing (whether vehicle, boots, bow, golf clubs, etc.) they always have to mess with it to make it "better". Progress and change aren't always the best.

pamtnman, mountaingroan and 68 RS/SS like this.
  2. Apr 23, 2023 at 5:16 AM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra DCLB
    Round Tires
    New Tundra is the Tacoma+

Toyota will never outsell the big three in 1/2 tons (not to mention no 3/4 and 1 ton option), so they took where they dominate (midsize Tacoma) and gave their biggest truck buying group (Tacoma owners) something to upgrade to (a bigger Tacoma+).

Unfortunately for those of us who love a simple work truck the used Tundra is going to be gone eventually, although no time soon.

I have a bench seat in my 2016. If I find a LB 2016-2017 with another I’ll likely buy it just because.

3. Apr 23, 2023 at 5:53 AM
    Tyman

Tyman Isaiah 41:10

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Sport 4wd MGM
    How about going to a Ram, Chevy, or Ford for the crew max?

Mr Badwrench likes this.
  4. Apr 23, 2023 at 6:01 AM
    Johnsonman

Johnsonman New Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    Sequoia
    LED headlamps/fogs; interior footlamps.
    Not driven new ones yet when I see one driving down the road surrounded by fords, chevys and rams, it is very surprising to me how Low and Small they look by comparison from those angles, I'm sure its plenty big in person but doesn't look brawny or big outside, almost 'big mid-size'...

5. Apr 23, 2023 at 6:51 AM
    Borador

Borador New Member

Member:
    Olive Branch, MS
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4x4 w/1794 Interior upgrade

I agree and will drive my '16 Tundra as long as I possibly can. I'm not a fan of the new Tundra design...

Metro14536 likes this.
  6. Apr 23, 2023 at 9:53 AM
    Bergmen

Bergmen New Member

Member:
    Ukiah, California
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue Pearl DC 4X2 SR5
    I bought my 2006 (Gen I) in August of that year. The Gen II's were going to be released in the fall but I wanted the '06 (last year of the Gen I and fully refined). When I saw the new Gen II it did nothing for me, not impressed. But these things can grow on you (it finally did on me but I waited until Gen II.5 to make the leap).

Glad I did.

Dan

7. Apr 23, 2023 at 9:59 AM
    MattAK

MattAK Headin' for the hills

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Alaska and Utah
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 double cab white
    stuff & things, Valhalla Cat Plates, GCS Cooler
    I waited forever for the 3rd gen to come out before moving to a Tundra from my 4Runner. Was sorely disappointed in the 3rd gen when I got to see them in person. Didn't even have to drive it, I hated just looking at it and sitting in it at the auto show. Picked up a used 2019 instead and it's a great truck, plan to keep it as long as I can.

8. Apr 24, 2023 at 4:00 AM
    doughboysigep

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Delhi, NY
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 CM 4x4
    thought the same thing looking at it up close. Stance is definitely smaller than previous.

9. Apr 24, 2023 at 4:03 AM
    doughboysigep

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Delhi, NY
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 CM 4x4
    maybe, but not really a fan of them either. really like to previous gen of Tundras. seems like all trucks (we have all brands at work) "need" to make the interior as cramped as possible - doors are thicker (more trim inside than needed), etc. Again, I am a big guy so I notice it more. really contemplating going with a 2020 or'21 for an upgrade. don't really need one, but now would be the time.

Tundra Dude 45 and pamtnman like this.
  10. Apr 24, 2023 at 4:10 AM
    borla123

borla123 The Pits

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    18 Tundra TRD OR - 4Runner Torsen Full Time 4wd
    Driver Grip Handle Borla Dual, Line X, ESP Underseat
    Alot has been done for better mpg including making Cab smaller streamlined, lowered with the front air dam.
    The funny thing I thought is that the dealer I was at for service on my '18 Tundra last week told me a higher percentage of 3rd Gen owners are replacing tires and lifting it now. When I was considering one (early 2022) I factored in another $3000 to do this too.
    It does look alot better with bigger tires and lifted. imo
    But then you also toss the 2-3 mpg advantage it brings out the window too by doing the lift and tires. Pic of two stock Tundras 19 and 22.

2019 versus 2022.jpg

11. Apr 24, 2023 at 5:23 AM
    ToolCat

ToolCat New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    The new Tundra is just butt-ugly. Lifting one way-up on large wheels and tires is the only chance at making the truck bearable, looks-wise.

The new Tacoma will have similar chiseled lines,

....but that type of look and stance works on a mid-sized truck. But not on a full size without a lot of help...

IsaiahCanada and Rob's Inferno like this.
  12. Apr 24, 2023 at 6:06 AM
    borla123

borla123 The Pits

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    The other thing is this.
    The 2.5 Gen had a class leading Cab - size wise. But the huge 2.5 Crew Cab especially when you add in a moonroof, which they all seem to come with, really lowers the payload rating. By reducing the Cab to about the same as the big three and the Bed size and material (plastic rather than steel) this helped in contributing to a bump in payload ratings by couple hundred lbs. In the end numbers are what the manufacturers are after. Whether MPG, Safety, Payload

13. Apr 24, 2023 at 6:24 AM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    2nd gen also had class leading turn radius (and general ground clearance, Raptor etc notwithstanding), a short sloping hood, and not nearly as much truck in front of the front wheel. As someone hopeful of the 3rd gen before its release, these are important factors when venturing off pavement, and it is frustrating that Toyota went backward.

Bottom line for me: If people want a simple, dependable truck, and don’t mind the fuel bill, the 2nd gen is for you. If you like tech, want a few more mpg, and are impressed by the low end torque numbers, the 3rd gen is going to be more your thing. They’re built by the same company, who—despite the clucking of a small but noisy band of Chicken Littles—has not thrown their entire ethos out the window with the 3rd gen.

I do notice that the major complaints of the 2nd gen remain with the 3rd. 3rd gen owners expected better mpg, still suffer from bed bounce and/or a stiff ride, and still have among the lowest payload numbers in the segment.

Mod your Tundra to carry more weight, and focus on the axle ratings, not the door jamb payload number. My truck can carry 950 lb over GVWR (8150 vs 7200 lb) without overloading either axle if perfectly distributed. I’m very rarely over GVWR, but when I am, I always make sure I’m under the axle ratings.

ToolCat, excelw, Ginsterkev and 2 others like this.
  14. Apr 24, 2023 at 7:10 AM
    king.cong.1119

king.cong.1119 New Member

Member:
    2.5gen: 2in lifted on 35x12.5 r17
    3rd gen: 2.5in lifted on 34s
    MicrosoftTeams-image.jpg MicrosoftTeams-image (1).jpg

15. Apr 24, 2023 at 7:30 AM
    Terndrerrr

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    I understand, but I think Andy's perspective makes much more sense. I’m not using my truck like an HD truck. I’m a few hundred lbs over GVWR sometimes. Not a big deal IMO.
    rvlifeandy.jpg

16. Apr 24, 2023 at 8:25 AM
    Terndrerrr

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    I agree that being a few hundred pounds over GVWR doesn’t pose a problem. That’s also what Andy is saying. So we both agree with Andy. Sometimes, common sense just makes sense despite one’s lack of engineering credentials. The numbers on this chart are for a half ton truck with LT tires pulling a travel trailer. From the same article:
    7465E995-154A-48DE-ADF6-3386E0351D9C.jpg
    Over payload by 640 lb, yet within axle ratings for front and rear. If you’re able to stay within axle ratings, maybe a half ton that is easier to maneuver with a lower CoG and independent front suspension makes more sense? It’s nothing scandalous. Just common sense. If you’re towing a 5’er, Andy of course says HD truck all the way.

17. Apr 24, 2023 at 8:54 AM
    borla123

borla123 The Pits

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Can you provide facts on "overbuilt" and are you referring to the 2.5 gen or the 3.0 Gen also.

Emphirical Observation.
    In the first picture is the Tundra and 4Runner that were in the showroom when I had my Tundra serviced last week.
    Looking underneath quickly their rear axles looked similar.

The second picture is from a few weeks ago.
    1200 lbs of crush in the bed plus three guys in the cab - call it another 750 lbs.
    The only thing I noticed was the exhaust was a little louder and the truck became level.
    The rake disappeared.

tundra 04 20.jpg
    pit 4.jpg

Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
    IsaiahCanada likes this.
  18. Apr 24, 2023 at 8:57 AM
    CTundraForMe

CTundraForMe New Member

Member:
    To each their own.
    I saw a 3rd gen on the road the other day, and I have to agree, it's rather ugly.
    I love my '15.

texasrho83 likes this.
  19. Apr 24, 2023 at 9:51 AM
    DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    Tesla MYP
    The reduction in interior space is not that dramatic . And the drivers space actually has more head room. I’m 6’3 and it didn’t feel like a compact car. Don’t worry, there’s still plenty of room for your purse

20. Apr 24, 2023 at 10:59 AM
    doughboysigep

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Delhi, NY
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 CM 4x4
    great comparison. really shows the difference.

21. Apr 24, 2023 at 11:08 AM
    doughboysigep

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Delhi, NY
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 CM 4x4
    hmmm, so having a 18" console in the middle of the front seat doesn't reduce the room dramatically?? not sure what your definition of "dramatic" is. I would say that not being able to use a 1/4-2/3 of the front seat or being able to pass thru or being able to set something there or have someone sit there is a bit dramatic.

22. Apr 28, 2023 at 11:13 AM
    1UP

1UP Truck Gang

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Red CM TRD sport 4x4
    3rd gen forum was insane for a while. A lot of us 2.5 guys wanted a new 3rd gen and took it badly when the 3rd gen was actually released. The mods were always cleaning up our rants about how much of a dumpster fire we all thought the truck is/was.

I'd go Ram 2500 if I had to buy new. But my hope is my 2019 lasts me 40 years and I never have to think about it.

23. Apr 30, 2023 at 7:42 AM
    doughboysigep

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Delhi, NY
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 CM 4x4
    just rode in a newer Ford....might have to switch back. They have the console, but it is much roomier. The Ford is "beefier" and didn't get downsized buy their engineers. and their V6 turbos are well tested over 10 years or so.

24. Apr 30, 2023 at 7:55 AM
    1UP

1UP Truck Gang

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Red CM TRD sport 4x4
    Unless there is a specific need, why waste money on a new inflated price of a F-150 and the inflated interest rate to go along with it?

Tundra Dude 45 and WFD473 like this.
  25. Apr 30, 2023 at 8:03 AM
    doughboysigep

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Delhi, NY
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 CM 4x4
    true. but there are also inflated trade in values as well. I really don't NEED a newer truck, but also don't want to lose on trade in values and never know when stuff starts going sideways with my 6 year old truck with nearly 100K.

XR5dude likes this.
  26. Apr 30, 2023 at 8:17 AM
    Tyman

Tyman Isaiah 41:10

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Sport 4wd MGM
    I say keep it for a couple more years. Things are upside down and backwards. Your truck will do just fine.

pamtnman and 1UP like this.
  27. Apr 30, 2023 at 8:22 AM
    Oey12

Oey12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 TRD OFFROAD
    Coach Builder 1 inch lift strut spacers Coach Builder 1 inch shackles TRD Sway Bar Diode Dynamics SS
    IMHO, the 3rd Gen is what many complained about NOT having in the 2.5 Gen. This statement isn’t geared to anyone in particular but many people have always compared the delightful archaic nature of the Tundra to the shiny buttons of the domestic 1/2 tons. Yes domestics typically as a whole have slightly better gas mileage and slightly better ride quality when new. But the 2.5 was kinda in a league of its own, hence why I purchased mine. It’s a different truck and simply put the 3rd Gen Tundra is a crystal clear example of being careful what you ask for…it’s the closest Toyota (technology conservative mantra…) has ever come to competing with the big boys. And respectfully I DO understand it lacks many features the domestics do BUT again coming from the source (Toyota) they answered to the market in Toyota fashion. Reality, like NO one should tow 12k on a F150, is of no importance to many 1/2 ton owners (I did not say all). Perception is the name of the game these days…

Terndrerrr and Ginsterkev like this.
  28. Apr 30, 2023 at 8:22 AM
    Kung

Kung [Insert Custom Title Here]

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 CM 4WD, TRD Off-Road, Voodoo Blue
    Spiffy console tray Spiffy N-Fab steps Spiffy Katzkin seats
    You might want to do some research on their 10 speed transmission. A class action lawsuit was just filed against Ford because of it.

29. Apr 30, 2023 at 10:11 AM
    Kung

Kung [Insert Custom Title Here]

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 CM 4WD, TRD Off-Road, Voodoo Blue
    Spiffy console tray Spiffy N-Fab steps Spiffy Katzkin seats
    This is an excellent post. Believe me (or not, I don't care LOL) when I say that sure, I'd like more features, creature comforts, etc. and yes, the interior could be cushier for sure.

With that said, everyone I know who has a truck from about 2018 on - and I mean EVERYONE - has had issues. Some small, some not so small. I'll take reliability over features any day.

30. Apr 30, 2023 at 10:19 AM
    Jarrow

Jarrow New Member

Member:
    Toyota’s new Sienna is very compact inside as well. We were deciding between an Odyssey and Sienna and sitting in a Sienna made us choose Odyssey. The Sienna is so cramped inside compared to the openness of the Odyssey. I like it in my 23 Tundra, but that Sienna felt so cramped. I know that’s not much help, but maybe its what Toyota is doing for new models?

Products Discussed in

To Top