1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gear whine?

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by Carolina Peej, Aug 2, 2022.

1. Aug 2, 2022 at 7:47 PM
    Carolina Peej

Carolina Peej [OP] Hey can you hold the light for me real quick?

Member:
    North and South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2022 Midnight Black Metallic 4x4 Tundra Platinum 5.5 w/ load leveling + AVS, HUD, and Power Running Boards
    Hey y'all,

I noticed a slight gear whine in my 2022 tundra 4x4 platinum crewmax 5.5 the other day. Very subtle, and doesn't do it under load either way (acceleration or deceleration). When the powertrain is in a cruising state, I hear a subtle (but definitely noticeable gear whine).

Then, it all came flooding back, and I remember my dad's 1987 Toyota Landcruiser making the same exact noise. I've primarily owned Chevys (Tahoes, Suburbans, and Silverados) for the past 20 years, but this whine was positively familiar.

Anyone know if Toyota cuts their gears in a way that increases reliability or longevity at the expense of a subtle whine? If so, I love it! It is currently the reassuring sound of bigger, tougher gears for me!

Just wondering if anyone else has heard the same sound and if anyone has any technical knowledge of a proprietary way Toyota cuts their gears.

Thanks!

Roctane84 likes this.
  2. Aug 2, 2022 at 9:06 PM
    PERRY1060

PERRY1060 Hammer Down

Member:
    First Name:
    Perry
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Blk on Blk 22 Ltd 4x4
    TRD wheels, skid plate, black fender flares, mud flaps and running boards. Pirelli Scorpion 275/70/20 Allterrain Plus tires
    It could be a reach to compare without hearing your whine. I owned a 2001 Sequoia with a whine and now own a 2005 Sequoia with the same exact whine as my 2001. It now has 270k, still has whine and has been the best vehicle I have ever owned including seven other Toyotas. No harm in having your dealer check it out and documented just incase it gets worse. Enjoy your truck.

3. Aug 3, 2022 at 3:53 AM
    mass-hole

mass-hole New Member

Member:
    Wasnt gear noise a problem in the current gen Tacoma?

4. Aug 3, 2022 at 6:53 AM
    trazerr

trazerr New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB SR5 4x4
    Yeah, that was a mess for a long time. Mine howls something fierce especially when it’s warm out. Guess it’s just harmonics as a lot have it and rear ends aren’t coming apart left and right.

5. Aug 3, 2022 at 8:19 AM
    Roctane84

Roctane84 Tread On Them

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 TRD Pro Solar Octane (SOLD)
    Mine has the hum, but only when decelerating or rolling at low speeds. As soon as you touch the throttle it goes away.

Is yours a hybrid by chance? My initial thoughts were that it was coming from the hybrid motor spot in the tranny but its hard to tell.

6. Aug 5, 2022 at 10:32 AM
    Carolina Peej

Carolina Peej [OP] Hey can you hold the light for me real quick?

Member:
    North and South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2022 Midnight Black Metallic 4x4 Tundra Platinum 5.5 w/ load leveling + AVS, HUD, and Power Running Boards
    Not a hybrid.Definitely a drive train, higher pitched whine. Not loud, just noticeable.

7. Aug 17, 2022 at 9:10 AM
    angrygiraffe

angrygiraffe New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '22 SR5 CrewCab 5.5'
    I've noticed the same thing. I notice it most right at 80MPH or above, just maintaining cruising speed there is all of a sudden a hum from the rear end.
    I have a crewmax 5.5', not hybrid.

8. Aug 17, 2022 at 9:12 AM
    trazerr

trazerr New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB SR5 4x4
    That stinks, but at least thats better than what the 3rd gen Tacoma's got. My rear end is super loud on decel from 60 to 55. Used to howl over the radio set to 30+. Bought the TSB parts myself as my SR5 didn't qualify and that helped a bit. Characteristic of the 3rd gen Hopefully not a characteristic of the new Tundra.

Products Discussed in

To Top