1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Galvanic Corrosion

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Builds (2014-2021)' started by denali302, Jan 17, 2023.

1. Jan 17, 2023 at 6:22 AM
    denali302

denali302 [OP] Meh...

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 Crew Max
    Not sure where this question goes - but open to suggestions if I should post somewhere else

I have an aluminum square tubing framed topper and need to be able to put some screws / rivet nuts into the framing.

In researching options, I came across the issue of galvanic corrosion and wondering if it’s an issue in all applications (inside the topper) or just wet scenarios. Most of the fastener options I prefer are stainless, but that seems like maybe the worst option. Aluminum screws and bolts are pretty limited. Zinc plated better but pricey

any and all help is appreciated.

2. Jan 17, 2023 at 6:38 AM
    convex

convex New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Columbia SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 1794
    ARE Topper Yakima rack Dual Dash Cams
    I would imagine any water or moisture would act as a catalyst/conductive solution, as it does with most corrosion. I would use a rubber or plastic washer between the steel fasteners and aluminum. Anything to minimize direct contact. Maybe some sort of paint or rubberized coating combined with the use of plastic or rubber washers would help slow any corrosion. Eventually all that will break down and you'll get corrosion, but will you still have the topper and truck 20 yrs from now?

Wallygator likes this.
  3. Jan 17, 2023 at 6:51 AM
    denali302

denali302 [OP] Meh...

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 Crew Max
    Yeah - that makes sense. The plastic washer is a good idea. What about down in the threads though? Would a light duty thread lock work? Also, the timing question is a good one. I did try to look it up and found wildly varying stats. If it’s 20 years, I’m not too concerned. If it’s 5, that’s a problem.

4. Jan 17, 2023 at 7:24 AM
    convex

convex New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Columbia SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 1794
    When I was younger, I did a lot of rock climbing. Lots of stainless hangers bolted into a cliff with carbon steel anchors. Some of that was stuff was 20+yrs old and was starting to get scary and in need of replacement. You're just holding a topper on your truck right? You could use a mild thread lock, that would help I'd imagine. Honestly, I think you may be over thinking this a little too. Do some research on it, I'm sure faster manufacturers/sellers may have some better info than someone on the internet that had a bunch of chemistry 20+ yrs ago and replaced climbing anchors on the side of a cliff...

bulldog93 likes this.
  5. Jan 17, 2023 at 7:30 AM
    denali302

denali302 [OP] Meh...

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 Crew Max
    I appreciate that - and I have. The issue I’m finding is the application. I haven’t found anything that really addresses what I’m doing and the chemistry / scientific articles tend to either be overly cautious (“corrosion can happen in a matter of weeks”) or completely non committal. That said, I am probably overthinking this but want to protect my investment

6. Jan 17, 2023 at 7:47 AM
    convex

convex New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Columbia SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 1794
    Most of what you'll find when you look it up is about boats I'd imagine. Galvanic corrosion is is horrible on them when they are in the ocean, in lakes...not as much. Salt water conducts electricity more than freshwater, and salt, aka sodium chloride is nasty for metal once the molecule is separated into Na and Cl. So, when salt is broken up into +/- ions it will be more conductive, so it's an electrolytic solution right? (fyi I had to look that part up since I couldn't remember the right word for it). Check on boat sites if you really want to over-engineer this. They'll have the right info on paints/coatings that you can use.

denali302[OP] likes this.
  7. Jan 17, 2023 at 10:22 AM
    JRS

JRS New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB
    Everything corrodes, it's just a matter of rate vs environment. Inside a topper, while not directly exposed to elements, will hold high moisture concentrations.

Use aluminum rivnuts to maintain material-likeness with the frame. You can get 10-24, 1/4-20 or 5/16-18 aluminum all day from McMaster/similar. You won't be putting much load into this, so aluminum fasteners are fine. Otherwise go with stainless, plastic washers, and anti-seize. If you want to be cheap, use standard grade 5 steel fasteners with plastics washers, anti-seize and monitor.

But yeah, you're overthinking it. If you notice an issue, pull it and change it. The important aspect is using the aluminum rivnut and coating the threads if the fastener isn't aluminum. Far easier to change a bolt than drill out a rivnut.

8. Jan 17, 2023 at 10:41 AM
    Silver17

Silver17 Used, but returned and sold as new member

Member:
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD 4x4 Harrop SC
    Eibach pro 2.0s, toytec progressive mini AAL, ARE CX cap, Airlift bags, Harrop Supercharger, 650cc injectors, 77.5mm pulley, TRD Dual exhaust, J&L catchcan, Powertrax LSD, RRW RR7-H, 305/70r17 Toyo AT3s
    A good coat of anti seize on all of the contact points between the dissimilar metals is probably one of the best things to prevent it. I always put a very light coat on the hub of aluminum alloys wheels to keep them from corroding and seizing to the steel hubs/rotors.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
  9. Jan 17, 2023 at 10:46 AM
    JRS

JRS New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB
    Stealing this idea next time the wheels are off. Had to use a dead blow last time because of a light layer.

Silver17[QUOTED] and Wallygator like this.
  10. Jan 17, 2023 at 10:49 AM
    texasrho83

texasrho83 DGAF#1

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Conroe TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC MGM 4x4
    See build link
    Roofing screws.

Screenshot_20230117-124924_Brave.jpg

11. Jan 17, 2023 at 10:51 AM
    Wallygator

Wallygator Well Zippedy Da Do!

Member:
    Anti seize as @Silver17 mentioned for any threads. I also like to spray things with Amsoil metal protector. It dries and lasts a long while before a recoat is needed. It's great for motorcycles which have a lot of dissimilar metals intertwined with each other.

MedCityMoto and Silver17 like this.
  12. Jan 17, 2023 at 11:19 AM
    denali302

denali302 [OP] Meh...

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 Crew Max
    thanks all!

Products Discussed in