1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fuses were missing/mis-installed from the factory

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by PJR202, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Sep 5, 2020 at 10:24 AM
    PJR202

PJR202 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I just felt like I should share this.

A week or two after I bought my brand new 2019, my kids plugged a phone charger into the rear 12v port and it didn't work. I chalked it up to a blown fuse caused by a bad charging plug and never got around to messing with it until a few days ago, which was a year later. I always forgot to mention it at my service appointments. Yes, I could have done it myself but I'm lazy and thought it better to let the dealership have a look in case it was something worse.

So back on Monday the tech calls me back to the garage and said "there was no fuse in there for the outlet, and two of your other fuses were in the wrong place."

I installed a fuse tap to power my camera about 8 months ago, which was long after the outlet failure. I also never touched another fuse when installing the tap, so I didn't cause the misplaced fuses either. Despite my explanation about timeframes and my tap install, I'm pretty confident he thought I caused all of it. At 41, I no longer care about being right in trivial matters, so I just let it go and allowed myself to look like a goon who can't do simple work on his vehicles.

I've never heard of a vehicle, much less a Toyota, with missing/incorrectly installed fuses from the factory. Is that something more common than one would think?

2. Aug 5, 2023 at 9:05 PM
    Climbcovey

Climbcovey New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    K & N filter, TRD Exhaust, TRD sway bars, 3/1 Leveling kit, 285/55 R20 BFG TKO's, Fuel Rims, RAS helper springs, Bushwacker DRT flares, center console safe, Interior pocket limers (red trimmed).
    Interesting..... I recently purchased a 2019 platinum. My kids plugged in a raft inflator and blew the fuse to the rear cigarette lighter as well... I replaced the fuse and all was well......until a couple days later. I went to plug in an USB adapter (only) and had no power. Assumed it was the adapter.... tried several others (all had previously worked fine) no power... I have not checked or replaced the fuse again yet, but I will be very curious to figure out why, if it is blown again. As nothing was plugged in that had any significant draw.

Products Discussed in

To Top